The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 08-13-2019, 06:20 AM

Default Outside Ukulele

Anyone used/own these. A slight desire to get one.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:36 AM

Are you referring to this?

www.outdoorukulele.com
Old 08-13-2019, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ac View Post
Are you referring to this?

www.outdoorukulele.com
Yes I am....
Old 08-13-2019, 08:34 AM

I like their pinless bridge. Elegant, functional, simple design.

It looks like it would have a solid grip on the ball with no chance for the ball to slip out.

Trustworthy.

I'd like to see the same on a guitar.
Old 08-13-2019, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fingerguy View Post
Anyone used/own these. A slight desire to get one.
Big fan.....have bought a number of these for my family and self. Currently have both carbon tenor and soprano strung with brown worths strings. Tenor low g and soprano high g. Have pickups in both with extra strap button on neck. Scott is great to work with and they are a small shop in Bend Oregon. All made and assembled in USA!. Check YouTube...lots of great videos.... mine go everywhere with me to the embarrassment of my family....have my soprano right next to me at the beach as I type this here in Maine. You can definitely pay more but doubt you will have more fun with these instruments. Check out underground uke forum for more reviews!
Old 08-13-2019, 10:20 AM
Guest 928

Just returned from the Outdoor Ukulele site. Found something new--the Outdoor Banjolele. Looks awesome, no idea how it sounds.

Fixed Gear needs one of these.
Old 08-13-2019, 11:54 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvanB View Post
Just returned from the Outdoor Ukulele site. Found something new--the Outdoor Banjolele. Looks awesome, no idea how it sounds.

Fixed Gear needs one of these.
Evan.... your are a dangerous man!!! I did order one with transparent skin....looked and sounded great if you like banjos... I returned ...just was not my thing and my wife found it annoying while I practiced
Old 08-13-2019, 12:49 PM

In my limited experience, Outdoor Ukes are well made but rather heavily built. They tend to be somewhat quiet compared to other ukes. It is hard to beat polycarbonate for durability (good to ~250°F) and certainly the price. If you need something to travel with that can handle being dumped from a canoe into the lake or can withstand being left in a hot car all day, this is the one. I have considered getting one myself to avoid putting my better ukes at risk. Instead I choose to take a nicer instrument and carry it indoors as needed.

BTW the OP can go back through the control panel (User CP button upper left on the blue bar) and correct the title of the thread -- if desired.
Old 08-13-2019, 01:14 PM

The carbon clear banjo thingy looks cool
McPherson: Early Kevin Michael Proto
Some wood things by Epi, Harmony, Takamine, Good Time, PRS, Slick, Gypsy Music, keyboards, wind controllers.. etc
Old 08-13-2019, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
In my limited experience, Outdoor Ukes are well made but rather heavily built. They tend to be somewhat quiet compared to other ukes. It is hard to beat polycarbonate for durability (good to ~250°F) and certainly the price. If you need something to travel with that can handle being dumped from a canoe into the lake or can withstand being left in a hot car all day, this is the one. I have considered getting one myself to avoid putting my better ukes at risk. Instead I choose to take a nicer instrument and carry it indoors as needed.

BTW the OP can go back through the control panel (User CP button upper left on the blue bar) and correct the title of the thread -- if desired.
This is a good general overview. I am a ukulele player and attend a couple regular jams. A friend has the tenor and the soprano, tough as nails but on the quite side and the tone is a bit dull.

We gave a tenor to our uke jam leader because he has a boat. He now plays this up front as he leads the jam. He had always played his Kanilea tenor before he got the Outdoor Uke. Let’s just say there is a world of difference in the tone. The Outdoor Uke will not be confused for a fine wooden instrument in the tone department.
Old 08-13-2019, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Earl49 View Post
In my limited experience, Outdoor Ukes are well made but rather heavily built. They tend to be somewhat quiet compared to other ukes. It is hard to beat polycarbonate for durability (good to ~250°F) and certainly the price. If you need something to travel with that can handle being dumped from a canoe into the lake or can withstand being left in a hot car all day, this is the one. .
What Earl said.

They are very good for the price, but not great. A mid-level Solid topped Kala sounds better.

I bought mine for durability and camping.

Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 08-14-2019, 02:54 AM

Another alternative works well also.

The Yamaha Guitalele is all laminate, probably close to as strong as the Outdoor, affordable, better tone, same length (if you trim off the excess head stock-easy to do),

AND

. . . you have the bonus of 6 strings.

I suspect it would survive a LOT of heat, but soaking it in a river for an hour or two wouldn't be kind even for laminate.

That said, it is an alternative.

Old 08-14-2019, 11:24 AM
Guest 928

So Kramster, did you order a banjo thingee? You are our first scout in all thingee composites and duty calls.
Old 08-14-2019, 12:14 PM

I like the Yamaha Guitalele ok. It is certainly tougher than my baritone Pono uke. However if I could only have one, I would take the uke. It's certainly very fragile compared to CF instruments and even the guitalele, but the sound is so much better from the Pono uke.

I don't know anything about the Outdoor uke. It may not be confused for a fine wooden instrument in the tone department as was posted earlier, but I'm betting it won't ever be confused for a fine (any reasonable material) instrument either including CF varieties.

I like my baritone uke, but I like both my CF guitars better. Either one of them can run circles around the uke even if I take off the two bass strings to make them all four string instruments.

I also like seeing the Queen song on guitaleles. Thanks ac. Reminds me of some of the tricks we used to do back in college but never bothered to record because none of us had pocket cameras then.

PS If you don't want to invest in yourself, why should anyone else even bother to try?
Old 08-14-2019, 03:10 PM
Guest 928

You folks are dangerous. Now that you have me looking I've found that Banjoleles go way back, come in various sizes and various prices. There are a number of demonstrations on Utube and a variety of makes on Amazon. The prices range from $74 to around $600. The $74 TFW gets mostly good reviews.

AND THE DARNED THINGS ARE NYLON STRUNG. OTTA TAKE A ROPE AND HANG ME.

Just ordered one, I think Kramster has driven me over the hill. I'll report back.............................................. ................................

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber