The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 11:47 AM
Get off my lawn kid

Default RH = 35....

Yep. Dusted off the ol' Washburn D-10S for those quick moments of inspiration/doodling. The "Solid Wood" gang is cased. The Guild D-120c will be cased later.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 07-07-2022 at 09:49 AM.
Old 11-03-2019, 03:56 PM

35% humidity? That never has affected my guitars adversely over the last 10 years. I don't worry until it gets below 30%.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:45 PM

It pays to be a little anal/proactive, doesn’t cost much either.
Old 11-03-2019, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tubeamps View Post
It pays to be a little anal/proactive, doesn’t cost much either.
With acoustics I agree. I have a couple of those cheap tabletop humidifiers that I run in the winter to keep humidity around 45 percent. Works great and not really hard to do. Keeps everything stable.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:37 PM
Charter Member

I’ve been in the Goldilocks zone with RH between 40-48%. Given past experience in my house, this will last through the month of November. I keep my guitars in a RH controlled room for December-February where I humidify it to 45%, when the house dips below 35% RH. I no longer keep guitars out of their cases because I have 9 grandkids and a 5-month old puppy.

Barry, I use the same case rack you use and can “just” fit 5 cases in each rack.

Old 11-03-2019, 06:17 PM

The humidity is 37 as I type this and it dipped briefly to 34 so pretty soon I will be trotting out my small room humidifiers. I also sometimes just put out a large bucket or pot of water for natural evaporation. For a quick fix I boil the water first and then bring that it into the area.

Funny because I just switched from the wet side so I put out a bucket of charcoal coals to absorb some of the moisture in the air. I don't own a dehumidifier but if I did I might do what comedian Steven Wright quipped about : set up my humidifer and my dehumidifier and let them battle each other for humidity domination. BHWAAAA! (sound of maniacal laughter)
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-03-2019, 06:20 PM
Charter Member

Still 57 RH up here in NH and all three of my solid wood guitars are still on the wall where they will stay throughout the winter with no added humidifications beyond the occasional boiled pot of water or shower, even when the RH drops below 30.

Last edited by TomB'sox; 11-03-2019 at 06:45 PM. Reason: Inappropriate language
Old 11-03-2019, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Still 57 RH up here in NH and all three of my solid wood guitars are still on the wall where they will stay throughout the winter with no added humidifications beyond the occasional boiled pot of water or shower, even when the RH drops below 30.
I see you have deleted part of your earlier complaint about cases. I still have it in my email. So you know what I am referring to.

Have you had one of your guitars develop a top surface crack from low humidity? I have. And that's why I try to take precautions when the humidity falls below a certain amount. I don't have the money to pay for repairs.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-03-2019, 08:24 PM
Get off my lawn kid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Haasome View Post

Barry, I use the same case rack you use and can “just” fit 5 cases in each rack.
The case for my Avalon is a little chunky. Maybe if I shift them around a bit I could squeeze the Guild's case in there too.

My SoundCloud page

Avalon L-320C, Guild D-120, Martin D-16GT, McIlroy A20, Pellerin SJ CW

Cordobas - C5, Fusion 12 Orchestra, C12, Stage Traditional

Alvarez AP66SB, Seagull Folk

Aria {Johann Logy}:

Last edited by TBman; 11-03-2019 at 08:52 PM.
Old 11-03-2019, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralph124C41 View Post
I see you have deleted part of your earlier complaint about cases. I still have it in my email. So you know what I am referring to.

Have you had one of your guitars develop a top surface crack from low humidity? I have. And that's why I try to take precautions when the humidity falls below a certain amount. I don't have the money to pay for repairs.
Not sure to what you refer. Only use cases for gigs and prefer gig bags. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

Never had a guitar crack - ever. Haven't really kept any long enough recently but I did have an all solid wood Tacoma for 10 years that hung on the wall in a small room with a Vermont Castings wood stove that heated the whole house with nothing more than a cast iron tea pot with water as a humidifier with no issues. But up here in NH we only have really dry weather for several weeks in the dead of winter. The rest of time it's above 30 and usually between 45-60 most of the year.

But I can't find fault with those that practice a better safe than sorry precautionary regimine. Especially those that live in places like AZ where it's extremely dry a majority of the year.
Old 11-04-2019, 03:33 AM

I also keep my acoustics in cases, most of the time really, but especially in the colder months. Temperature here is just above freezing today, heating was recently turned on and RH is currently at 22%
Martin 00L-17
Martin D-18
Gibson L-00
Gibson J-45
Old 11-04-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by paulzoom View Post
35% humidity? That never has affected my guitars adversely over the last 10 years. I don't worry until it gets below 30%.
I believe you and I are in the minority on this. 35 never bothers me and doesn’t cause any problems.
My guitars all sit out year round. At this moment the RH in that room is 43%.
As the temperatures fall and the forced air furnace continues to run, I will engage the built-in humidifier. Generally the RH will hover between
35-40 % all winter. Again, never had a problem.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 11-04-2019, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Not sure to what you refer. Only use cases for gigs and prefer gig bags. Perhaps you have me confused with someone else?

Never had a guitar crack - ever. Haven't really kept any long enough recently but I did have an all solid wood Tacoma for 10 years that hung on the wall in a small room with a Vermont Castings wood stove that heated the whole house with nothing more than a cast iron tea pot with water as a humidifier with no issues. But up here in NH we only have really dry weather for several weeks in the dead of winter. The rest of time it's above 30 and usually between 45-60 most of the year.

But I can't find fault with those that practice a better safe than sorry precautionary regimine. Especially those that live in places like AZ where it's extremely dry a majority of the year.
In my email history that shows links to posts made on the forum I still have your original post with your added comment. I didn't think it was funny at all.

As for cracks, I kept my Guild D-55 out on its stand for years in my former apartment and nothing happened. However, that was one guitar that was heavy and I think had a thicker-than-normal top because I just couldn't get it to be as loud as similar dreadnoughts. Then I moved to another apartment, sold my Guild, and used a different guitar, much louder with a noticeably thinner top. That cracked one day. I do think that the thinner the top in general the more it is a candidate for having the top crack. It does happen and I have the guitar to show it ... and the bill to have the crack repaired but I didn't pay extra to have the top resurfaced so it plays and sounds fine, but looks as ugly as possible.
Alvarez AD710
Alvarez RD20S
Esteban American Legacy
Rogue mandolin
Old 11-04-2019, 11:11 AM
Charter Member

You'll have to refresh my memory as I still have no idea when you're talking about. Pm me the comment.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:12 AM

I'm still trying to figure out what the beef is between Ralph and Methos.

Anyway, to keep it on topic, my house stays around 50% all year except for a few weeks in the winter when the electric heat blasts non-stop and RH can get into the 30's in the house. When that happens I put the Daddario Humidipaks in each case until things get back to normal. I still take them out to play them, I just put them back in the case with the humidipaks when I'm not playing them.
2004 Fender Telecaster MIM
2010 Martin DCX1RE
1984 Sigma DM3
Fender Mustang III v2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion