The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 08:58 AM

Default Humidifier Advice

Hi folks,

It's that time of year again in the northeast. I have a roughly 12x10 studio/music room in my basement where I keep all my acoustic and electric guitars. I've been using a Vornado Evap 40 for a few years in there to keep the humidity up during heating season. It works well enough, but I have a few quibbles with it and am looking to upgrade. Figured this might be a good place to hear from others who have dealt with similar issues.

The big problem with the Evap 40 is the humidity sensor. There's only a dial that lets you set your desired level on a continuum from highest to lowest, rather than specific humidity settings like 45% or 50%. I'll often set it just to the point where I think it will click on at less than 40% and off at more than 50%, but it doesn't work out that way. Sometimes the unit will shut off and not come back on even though my analog humidistat in the room shows less than 40%. Other times it keeps running past 55%, delivering too much humidity. This means I have to check and adjust the settings at least once, more often twice, a day, which is tough if you're out or away.

I have a smaller Evap unit we use in my daughter's bedroom that has specific number settings and works much better, but the water capacity in those Vornado units is too small for the studio. I like the 4-gallon capacity in the Evap 40, and the removable water tanks, which make for easy refilling, but would love to find a high-capacity unit that has a more-precise, digital humidistat built in.

Anyone out there have any advice for me? Thanks in advance.
Old 11-02-2019, 09:51 AM

Search is your friend here man. If you do so, you will be pleased with the wealth of information and suggestions that come back.

Best of luck.

Cheers
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-02-2019, 10:04 AM

I recently purchased an Evap 40 and really like it. I know what you mean about the cut in and out on it, it’s not super precise. When I was researching this, a lot of members were using a separate controller along with their Vornado. Here’s a link to one of them.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01J1E5LWM...v_ov_lig_dp_it
Old 11-02-2019, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawber View Post
I recently purchased an Evap 40 and really like it. I know what you mean about the cut in and out on it, it’s not super precise. When I was researching this, a lot of members were using a separate controller along with their Vornado. Here’s a link to one of them.

Ah, that looks like just what I'm looking for! So basically you plug the humidifier into this unit and it only supplies power below a certain humidity reading? Thanks!
Old 11-02-2019, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebernstein View Post
Ah, that looks like just what I'm looking for! So basically you plug the humidifier into this unit and it only supplies power below a certain humidity reading? Thanks!
That’s the idea. There are several brands/models available. I haven’t purchased one yet and only posted that link as it was the first one I found.
Old 11-02-2019, 11:31 AM

This works great for me. You set the desired humidity level, it will regulate the moisture it pumps into the room based on the readings.

Only downsides:
1) cant regulate rate of moisture in the humidistat setting
2) cant angle the opening where the moisture comes out

Product:

TaoTronics Cool Mist Humidifier, 4L Ultrasonic Humidifiers for Large Bedroom Home Baby, Quiet Operation, LED Display with Humidistat, Waterless Auto Shut-off (1.06 Gallon, US 110V) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07D3PH4GH..._EYBVDbDSAF45C
Old 11-02-2019, 12:43 PM

I just took out my humidifiers today as the RIH just dropped below 40% and it doesn't look it's getting warm again until spring (if we have one). We are looking into have an Aprilaire 800 steam humidifier installed on our furnace. I'm just tired of filling 4 humidifiers every day and while the AprilAire may not fully humidify my guitar room in farthest distance from the furnace, I'll probably just need my Honeywell evap to suppliment.

We have a couple of these misting humidifiers and I like them, especially for the price. They have 2- one gallon tanks so can go about a day and a half on full blast without needing to refill. Some come with remote controls and the humidity sensor works pretty well.
https://www.ebay.com/itm/AIR-INNOVAT...dE0yJN7_jys3aQ
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-02-2019, 12:46 PM

Just for anyone else interested in humidifiers but on a smaller scale (one or two guitars) - I can vouch for the D'Addario Humidipak systems. Not especially cheap but they last a while and are the epitome of low maintenance. Only problem is having to put the guitar back in the case which I can't be bothered with sometimes.
Old 11-02-2019, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Micawber View Post

Second this. I use a plug-in humidistat with my Evap40 and it works great (yes, the humidity control on the Evap40 itself sucks). I bought this one: Inkbird IHC200. $42 off Amazon, set it and forget it!
Old 11-02-2019, 02:40 PM

Thanks, everyone. Just ordered one of those inkbird controllers. Fingers crossed.
Old 11-02-2019, 05:44 PM

Someone else posted this up recently to remind us all what can/will happen should we not get things right humidity and temperature wise for our respective climates/environments:

https://www.larrivee.com/pdfs/Larriv...aintenance.pdf

Excellent document from an excellent and well respected source.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 11-03-2019, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chipotle View Post
Second this. I use a plug-in humidistat with my Evap40 and it works great (yes, the humidity control on the Evap40 itself sucks). I bought this one: Inkbird IHC200. $42 off Amazon, set it and forget it!
So I received and installed this unit today. The operating instructions aren't the easiest to understand but after a few re-reads and tinkering I figured it out. Seemed to be working well at first, but a few hours later I was playing for a bit in the room and by the time I was done, the accuracy of the humidity reading got a few degrees out of whack with my analog hygrometer. It wasn't spot on out of the box, and I adjusted it, but then just had to adjust again. Hopefully it will hit a sweet spot where I can just set it and forget it soon, but I'm a little concerned this might not be a big improvement from where I was. Have you found the need to constantly re-calibrate?
Old 11-04-2019, 09:31 AM

As I keep my guitars in a large wardrobe, a wet hand towell hung in the wardrobe is all I need as witnessed by room and in case hygrometers during the last two cold seasons. No fancy tech for me anymore.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:38 AM

I use an Essick H12 series. it is rated for a whole house (3500sf), but I use exclusively for my music room downstairs (approx 24' x 12'). It holds 5 gallons so you don't need to fill as often and doesn't need to run continuously. The built in humidistat is fairly close to what my Taylor gauge reads. I go through 2 filters during heating season.
2013 Taylor 214
2013 Martin D-17M
2014 Taylor 516e
2014 Taylor GS Mini Hog
2015 Taylor 324e
2015 Taylor 414ce-N
2015 Taylor Custom GA 12 fret
2015 Taylor 612ce 12 fret
2016 Taylor T5 Custom AA koa
2017 Taylor 712ce 12 fret LTD
2018 Taylor K22ce 12 fret LTD AA Koa
2019 Cordoba Master Series Hauser Ltd.
Old 11-04-2019, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by natebernstein View Post
So I received and installed this unit today. The operating instructions aren't the easiest to understand but after a few re-reads and tinkering I figured it out. Seemed to be working well at first, but a few hours later I was playing for a bit in the room and by the time I was done, the accuracy of the humidity reading got a few degrees out of whack with my analog hygrometer. It wasn't spot on out of the box, and I adjusted it, but then just had to adjust again. Hopefully it will hit a sweet spot where I can just set it and forget it soon, but I'm a little concerned this might not be a big improvement from where I was. Have you found the need to constantly re-calibrate?
Are you confident in the accuracy of your hygrometer. It has been my experience most inexpensive models are notoriously inaccurate.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion