The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-26-2019, 07:24 PM

A couple of points of interest......

Are those soundholes the same size? I ask because most Maton players using the new pickup system can get the mic to full with a soundhole plug....really nice for a natural fingerpicking sound and to me, a great ‘feel’ as I play. And of course, the soundholes of the dread and smaller models is a different size. I have one in each Maton case!

Now, the blackwood top of the newie could be treated like I approached brand new mahogany top guitars over the years......get out the fingerpicks and really lay into it now and again over the months. Worked for me on a 15 series M I had for a while. But at the time I was thinking my bare finger playing was going to take about 40 years for the top to open.

Either way, enjoy!

BluesKing777.
Old 10-26-2019, 07:37 PM
Charter Member

I'm really not sure on the sound hole size of the various models. I'll have to measure them when I get the chance.

We had band practice today and I played the Fat Lady and I have say - WOW! I plugged it in and just used the mixer settings for the Angel 2 and then made minor adjustments on the onboard EQ and the sound was great. No surprise there, really. But what was a surprise - no, actually a shock - was just how great the guitar felt. Sure, it's big and it's heavy and the scale is long but I played for an hour and a half non-stop with no bothering of my shoulder. But there was just something about that big dread tone that made me really dig into the guitar like I've never done before. This in turn had my wife really digging into her vocals and going places she'd never gone before. It made for an incredible set.

We've got an art show next Friday that we're both super-stoked to play. I was planning on sticking with the Angel as the known quantity but after today I'm thinking I might go with the Fat Lady. After playing it for just a few songs it no longer felt really huge. And that dread tone - now I get it. On the songs with no capo I could start to feel the left shoulder tire just a skotch but no pain. I found that I naturally would just angle the guitar to the right a bit which brought the body back enough to make the right shoulder quite comfortable. Overall I'm very happy and impressed. I'm looking forward to practicing again tomorrow!
Old 10-26-2019, 08:17 PM

Congratulations on the newest addition and I am happy that you are comfortable playing it. I've never played this model but the pictures make it seem pretty monstrous. That must translate into wonderful sound. Would love to hear a video demo of it when you are not tied up in practice.

Besides being wonderful guitars, what great eye candy the trio must be hanging on the wall!
Preston Thompson: O Koa
Old 10-26-2019, 09:49 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalSurf View Post
Congratulations on the newest addition and I am happy that you are comfortable playing it. I've never played this model but the pictures make it seem pretty monstrous. That must translate into wonderful sound. Would love to hear a video demo of it when you are not tied up in practice.

Besides being wonderful guitars, what great eye candy the trio must be hanging on the wall!
Thanks, Lenny. The Fat Lady and Angel look great on the way side by side. The Little Lady now sits on a stand in same room but might go on a different wall now that it looks like the Fat Lady might be staying long term.

As for a video demo, I was thinking I might not do one only because it would be pretty much the same as the first two but I might do one at some point. If I do I'll be sure to post it on this thread as an update.

We've got a gig Friday and assuming the Fat Lady makes its live debut then I'll be updating with that at the very least.
Old 10-27-2019, 03:08 AM

Congratulations on the latest addition to the family!

I know what it's like........I've had my Maton a bit over a month now and have done 16 gigs with it. I broke a string halfway through the last set at a gig last week and switched to my trusty Tanglewood to finish the night. I fiddled with and tweaked the EQ for the remainder of the set and still couldn't get a sound I was totally happy with . The neck felt wrong and my left hand started cramping up. Looks like another Maton is on the cards for my back up/rowdy gig guitar. I'll look for a used one, or get one of the cheaper Performer models.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
Quoted directly from the Cole Clark website: "Cole Clark steel string acoustic guitars are the only main stream acoustic to use a Spanish heel or integral neck construction. This means the neck is glued to the face along with the sides and the back so the neck is one piece all the way to the sound hole. On other guitars, the body is made then the neck attached, mostly with a bolt or dove tail join. Due to our method, the sound is unique. Cole Clark also has a carved top and back and uses a ridge system to join the sides to the top and back instead of kerfing."
These features likely make a Cole-Clark guitar the best "El Kabong" wooden ax out there but may also make it a bear to repair once significant damage has been done to one after fending off a drunken attack by an unruly audience member?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2

Last edited by SpruceTop; 10-27-2019 at 09:03 AM.
Old 10-27-2019, 08:56 AM

Those are really nice!
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 10-27-2019, 09:08 AM

Beautiful little family there! Congrats on the NGD!

Teach us what ways have light, what gifts have worth.
Edna St. Vincent Millay
Old 10-27-2019, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larren View Post
I fiddled with and tweaked the EQ for the remainder of the set and still couldn't get a sound I was totally happy with . The neck felt wrong and my left hand started cramping up. Looks like another Maton is on the cards for my back up/rowdy gig guitar.
Yes, I'm a firm believer of having not only a back up, but a back up that has the same characteristics of the primary. That's one of the things I like about the Cole Clarks (and is similar with the Maton's) - the same awesome pickup systems across various models.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
These features likely make a Cole-Clark guitar the best "El Kabong" wooden ax out there but may also make it a bear to repair once significant damage has been done to one after fending off a drunken attack by an unruly audience member?
We typically don't play the type of venue that would produce a drunken fool getting in my face which is very good because if I was playing the Fat Lady I would have no reservations (from the guitar standpoint) with popping him in the face with it. But it might land me in the slammer because it would probably kill him. Or at the very least put him in the hospital for a while!!
Old 10-27-2019, 07:28 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
Are those soundholes the same size? I ask because most Maton players using the new pickup system can get the mic to full with a soundhole plug....really nice for a natural fingerpicking sound and to me, a great ‘feel’ as I play. And of course, the soundholes of the dread and smaller models is a different size. I have one in each Maton case!
BluesKing777.
I finally had time to measure the sound holes. The Fat Lady and Little Lady sound holes are the same size at 3 7/8" wide. The Angel is more standard at 4 1/8".
Old 10-27-2019, 07:55 PM

I’m in love...

Very nice!

I’m not familiar with this brand but I like the vibe looks wise...

I assume they sound as incredible as they look, otherwise you would not have so many.

Enjoy.
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-27-2019, 08:59 PM

Nice Scott- so glad you are getting what you love out of your amplified tone. I totally agree with you that most guitars are really lacking, or are otherwise super high-maintenance when dialing in. These do indeed sound really good

Old 10-28-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
Nice Scott- so glad you are getting what you love out of your amplified tone. I totally agree with you that most guitars are really lacking, or are otherwise super high-maintenance when dialing in. These do indeed sound really good

Thanks! Yes, I remember seeing that video when I was considering whether to pull the trigger on a Fat Lady.
Old 10-30-2019, 07:56 AM

If you do decide to sell the dread please contact me. I have been looking for a good live stage guitar, but am hesitant to get one shipped overseas. Keep in mind that shoulder issues may not be apparent right away, but sometimes happen over time. I hope you are fine with it, but if you decide you would prefer getting an Angel cutaway, I would be happy to give her a new home

Quote:
Originally Posted by Methos1979 View Post
So if I find that I can't acclimate I'll just throw it up for sale and someone will get a great deal on a dead mint, like new Cole Clark Fat Lady 2 and then I'll just grab another Angel 2 with the cutaway as my 2016 Angel doesn't have one.
Old 10-30-2019, 01:02 PM
Charter Member

Updated with video review/demo back up on first post.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion