The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 05:01 PM

Has it changed the tone or volume that you can notice? I'd like to do the same but I'm thinking if you minimize headstock mass that could reduce volume.
Old 11-03-2019, 05:26 PM

For anyone who just wants a change of look, I swapped out the metal tuning keys for ebony tuning keys on my M-36. The direct Grover replacement part is 1020E.

Bashkin 00-12 Adi/Hog
Bashkin 0M-MS Swiss Moon/PRW(build thread)
Bashkin GC-12 Sitka/Koa
Carter-Poulsen J-Model German Select Spruce/MacEb
Fender MIJ Strat ('90) and 50s RW Tele ('19)
Martin 00-28c Spruce/BRW('67)
Martin M-36 (R) Sitka/EIR
Michaud O-R Cedar/Koa - New Build
Michaud J-R Sitka/MBW
K. Yairi RF-120 Spruce/EIR
KoAloha KTM-25 Koa/Koa
Yamaha G-231 Cedar/Hog ('71)
Old 11-03-2019, 05:36 PM

Nice job. Open backs definitely look better and I like the retro style smaller buttons.
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 11-03-2019, 05:59 PM

Very nice. They look great.
Taylor GS Mini Mahogany
Yamaha AC1M
Yamaha FSX800C
Old 11-03-2019, 08:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike McLenison View Post
Has it changed the tone or volume that you can notice? I'd like to do the same but I'm thinking if you minimize headstock mass that could reduce volume.
Mike, I've experimented with this over the years. There may be some extra-sensitive steel string acoustic guitars that will have their tone change a little bit when you go from Grover Rotomatics to open gear vintage style tuners, but if they do exist, they're rare. There hasn't been any audible difference the times I've been able to do that sort of before and after comparison.

Which has been several times.

Where there IS a massive tonal difference is on mandolin. After years of being frustrated by the indifferent accuracy and sloppiness of the open gear tuners on my main performance mandolin, I said "The hell with it" and swapped out the open gear tuners for 8 Schaller minis with that I fitted with pearloid buttons to cut the weight as much as possible.

On mandolin it made a huge difference to the sound. There was no mistaking what the slight additional weight on the headstock did to the tonal quality of that mandolin. It robbed all the warmth from the sound, basically killed the midrange and diminished the tone quality in every register.

The one slight benefit was that it boosted the mandolin's sustain slightly, which I liked but not enough to leave those heavier sealed gear tuners on there.

So, yes, the weight of the tuners can have an impact on the tone of a stringed instrument, but they have to represent a significant percentage of the overall mass before you can hear any difference. On a mandolin, the tuners do have enough mass to affect the sound, but - with only very rare exceptions - on a steel string acoustic guitar they don't. Not to a degree where it's detectable by human ears, most of the time.

This being the Internet, I'm sure there'll be some folks who'll pounce on this post like a dog on a bone and will inform us that THEIR guitars are so sensitive that they jump at loud noises and cry at sad movies. So, of course going from Rotomatics to open gear Sta-Tites changed the sound of their guitars!!

But those guitars would be the very rare exceptions to the rule.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 11-04-2019, 05:17 AM

I don't see how changing tuners can affect tone lol
Tanglewood TU13M ukulele
Brunswick BU4B baritone ukulele
Valencia VC204H hybrid
Deacon MA100 Mandolin
Old 11-04-2019, 10:58 AM

Default Form vs Function?

Honestly, I much prefer the big closed back tuners. From a practical standpoint, they are easier to turn and as far as athetics go, it's all just fad and fashion. Nostalgia is always cool until it isn't. I'm guessing closed back tuners came into being as an improvement over the open backs as a truly maintenance free device with a bit more leverage. I change tunings (and strings) quite a bit and it's easer with the big guys. I have a new Martin with the "GrandTunes" and several Taylors. I prefer the larger tuners on the Taylors. Some day we might think of the closed back tuners an "Retro". After all, fashion repeats every so often.
Old 11-04-2019, 11:41 AM

I'm not a fan of Waverly's or open back tuners in general. But I think you made a great choice with the Gotohs. IMO the quality of their tuners is second to none. I would have to believe that the mass of the open tuners is less than the Rotos. Did you notice any perceivable difference in tone? BTW... The M36 is probably my favorite Martin guitar in that body style.

I'm wondering if Gotoh has tuners similar to the Grover Rotos that would be a drop-in?
Assuming is not knowing. Knowing is NOT the same as understanding. There is a difference between compassion and wisdom, however compassion cannot supplant wisdom, and wisdom can not occur without understanding. facts don't care about your feelings and FEELINGS ALONE MAKE FOR TERRIBLE, often irreversible DECISIONS
Old 11-04-2019, 12:15 PM

In May of 2019 I bought a brand spanking new 2018 Martin M-36 with 1-3/4" nut. The first thing I did was install GOLD Gotoh SXN510 open back tuners.

https://g-gotoh.com/international/pr...y/sx510-series

There are two versions of the SX tuner.
The SXN510 designation means screw-in NUT installation. The SXB510 designation means bushing installation.

There are two basic versions of SXN tuner; SXN510 and the SXN510(V).
The difference being where the top hole is drilled in the mounting plate.
The SNX510 is made as a direct replacement for the stock sealed Rotomatic tuners.
The SXN510(V) is made to replace previously installed OPEN GEAR tuners of different manufacture such as Waverly. The top hole is father from the post center shaft and the hole is elongated to an oval.

Check out the schematics in the link above.

For the price these are an attractive quality tuner.

BTW, I sure love my Martin M-36

Blues

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion