The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop

Old 02-20-2012, 07:24 PM

Default Razo Guitars Build Thread- #3 Claro Walnut/Lutz Spruce

My name is Jonathan Razo, and this is my first build thread here on AGF. I started building in November. After spending a lot of money on "high end" guitars i started thinking if there was a better was to get nice guitars without spending sooo much money, so i started researching and hanging out here at the custom shop and on OLF. I then reached out to Jason Simpson of Simpson guitars and he took me in for 2 days and just let me watch him build and talk guitar building! without going so much into the whole story Here is a link to my 1st guitar and the story behind it http://luthiersforum.com/forum/viewt...bolo+engelmann
here is also a youtube video of my first critique http://youtu.be/H613iVjq28s

Unforetunately i didn't document my 2nd build, but as soon as it is dried and strung up i will post pics, so without further a due here is my 3rd on

Claro Walnut/Lutz Spruce (originally was going to be Claro/Curly Redwood)
Later decided that the redwood would be too complicated specially for my 3rd guitar, but it was a stunning set!

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

I am horrible at documenting every step, but here are the rest of the pics, my side bender (not fancy, but efficient), my circle cutting jig (again homemade and not fancy but gets the job done!), also installing A4 kerfing

I will try to document my builds better!

Jonathan
Old 02-20-2012, 08:00 PM

Cool rosette, Jonathan! Looks like you're off to a great start!

Joel
Old 02-24-2012, 09:12 AM

Default Claro Lutz

Glad to see another Claro and I think, while perhaps not as stunning as the Redwood, you should like the sound of the Lutz!
Collings SJ Braz/Ger, 000-42Koa, UC3 Killer Koa
Jeffrey Yong's Seismic 2011 Japan Earthquake Tribute and a Quilt Mah "The Tree" Olson
Old 02-26-2012, 12:29 PM

Thanks Joel, and TuckerRE. It should sound pretty good after all is said and done. Anyways i have been slow to post up updated pics, here y'all go, i should be able to do the binding here in the next couple days, i will be doing Mac ebony Radial purfing to match the rosette.

This is my old architectural drafting table, guess it found a good use (go bar deck)

By utarazo at 2012-02-26

By utarazo at 2012-02-26

By utarazo at 2012-02-26

Back glued on

By utarazo at 2012-02-26

top ready

By utarazo at 2012-02-26

all boxed up

By utarazo at 2012-02-26

By utarazo at 2012-02-26

Jonathan
Old 02-26-2012, 12:59 PM

Good luck!!!! I always love these build threads. Great inscription on the 'inside' of the top. Are you keeping your 3 builds for yourself or are you selling them?
Old 02-28-2012, 12:31 AM

Dru,

Thanks, i think the "inscription" on the inside of my guitars is what has attributed to making the guitars sound decent!

The first one i built obviously i didn't even consider selling it, even if a generous offer came along, simply because it was my first, and i want to one day look back at it and see how far god has allowed me to grow in the craft. Also one day i want to pass it down to my children. The second one i built i actually have a couple people interested in buying it, so that one will most likely sell here in the next week when i string it up! This third one will be more of my "showcase" guitar which i will take with me to events, meetings, and things of that nature and then sell it eventually. And just today god blessed me with my FIRST commissioned guitar, which will be #4 (wood combo and design TBD) so i am super excited!

now back to #3

Today i level sanded the sides and prepped it for Binding and to do the end graft tomorrow. Also i like actually visualizing the looks of the wood combos with different bindings. so i make little mules out of the scraps of the wood i use for the guitar.

Here are the two that i like the best! Still undecided but would love any input on which you'll like better

first is the cocobolo binding!

Second is the Ebony binding!

Which looks better?!?

Jonathan
Old 02-28-2012, 03:03 AM

the ebony is sharper, smarter and colder. the cocobolo is softer, mellower and warmer. there is a small element of colour clash with the yellow & brown on the cocobolo version but i still prefer it to the ebony.
Old 02-28-2012, 04:52 AM

If you're taking votes then I will put mine in for the cocobolo bindings. I think that looks really good!

2008 Taylor 714ce Fall Ltd. Koa/Cedar
Old 02-28-2012, 05:05 AM

i like the shape most, very nice. but i'm sure all the guitar will be great. good luck with it! looking forward to the completed guitar!
Old 03-02-2012, 07:19 AM

I vote for the cocobolo.
Also, the bracing with the holes are interesting. Are they your idea/design?
Old 03-02-2012, 09:23 AM

Neat stuff! Cocobolo for me! They look better imo. Have you got a website up and running?
Old 03-02-2012, 04:17 PM

haven't updated the thread, been busy at work, but anyways the binding is done and i went with cocobolo by popular consent I will attach the pics. I also started my neck.

jjgms- the holes in the bracing are common, a lot of luthiers carve out from their bracing to reduce the weight and make lighter braces. This is just my own interpretation of it.

peterandy01- I will have a website up and fully functional in the next couple weeks, since i am doing everything on my own, i haven't got down to the encoding part of it, but the design is set, for now the website will just direct you to my youtube videos.

here are the pics, let me know what you'll think!

thanks,

Jonathan
Old 03-02-2012, 10:05 PM

Very interesting build. I use the same Baranik style fan on my back braces...but tell me, what is your theory behind spacing them so unevenly?
Looking good! Also neat how the back braces bridge or sail over the back strip. I like it!

Brad
Old 03-03-2012, 03:34 AM

looking really good! excellent video clip - nice to see some honest opinion.
Old 03-03-2012, 06:11 AM

I agree. The guitar in the video sounds great, and your new build looks beautiful

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Custom Shop