The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-02-2019, 08:25 AM

Default Christmas Gift To Myself

Last night my wife asked what I wanted for Christmas. My five guitars and her view that that's plenty means no new guitars. I've got an amp, I've got a nice guitar stool.
But I've been thinking the last few months about a transition to my iPad for my music.
My routine now is that I find music I want to focus on and transfer to Word on my work laptop, then print out the music and bring it home. Consequently I've got three binders full [regular tuning, open tuning, Christmas music] and loose sheet music laying around my guitar room. It seems a bit overwhelming and I wonder if I shouldn't go for a good music program for my iPad.
I've never used an iPad for music. The screen is smaller than 8 1/2 by 11, and of course, there is the second page of music--Ipad is a 1-screen item.
I know there are solutions to that, and that many of you have made the leap.
Is there a program you recommend unequivocally? Are there ones you think I should avoid at all costs?
As to end use, I've been playing a lot with a friend and we're probably going to add another friend, and best case scenario, we might look seriously at doing some public performances. Even if that never happens, it would be convenient to have all the music in one place. What say ye?
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT
Old 11-02-2019, 09:32 AM

I bought a 12" iPad pro just for this purpose. I use Onsong. It does everything i could possibly want. You can organize by songbooks, build set lists, it lets you transpose and takes a capo setting into account. You can set a time per song and have it auto-scroll or use blutooth pedals to scroll through songs and select next or previous song. I use it a lot for teaching guitar as I can transpose for my students as needed and send the song directly to them from the app.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 11-04-2019, 07:03 AM

Default Interesting

I already have an iPad and the screen seems, to my eye, like it's much too small for what I want.
Of course you're referencing iPad Pro, and it's notably larger. That $800 price tag, without the OnSong software you mention...is a big investment.
I wonder if there are much more basic function tablets that would do what I need to have done, without having all the capabilities of an iPad Pro. I can/will research it, but if any of you out there have been down that road already, I'm all ears.
2015 Martin GPCPA5
2016 Taylor 214ce-Nylon
2015 Ventura VWDONAT

Last edited by VTexan; 11-04-2019 at 08:53 AM.
Old 11-04-2019, 07:25 AM

I hear you regarding the price. The larger tablets cost too much for sure! I ended up biting the bullet for one though as I use it in both our praise band and for teaching, and my eyes are only getting older so knew the larger screen would be what I really needed as time marches on.
Onsong doesn't require the latest and greatest hardware, so you may be able to find a gently used 12" iPad pro for a more reasonable price. I wish there had been software as nice as Onsong available for Android as they can be obtained for more reasonable prices, but I couldn't find anything that was comparable. Sure would be nice if they'd make an Android version available!
There are other products available, even for Android, but they didn't have all of the features I was looking for. It could be that one of them may do all you need though.
Ovation CS257 Celebrity Deluxe
Epiphone PR-350
Kramer 450G
Gretsch G2622
Old 11-04-2019, 07:40 AM
Charter Member

I use a standard-size 9-5/8” display iPad 6G (2017 iteration) with OnSong, and it’s fine. I have my stuff sized to a single page and, for anything that’s too long to display complete on one screen, I use the built-in OnSong ‘Scroll’ facility.

I mount the iPad on my mic-stand using a K&M mount. I see no need for the big, expensive iPad Pro - I’m 72, my eyes aren’t what they were, but hell, that’s what spectacles are for isn’t it? My varifocals do their job, and I have no problems reading lyrics from the iPad.

The usual disclaimers apply......IMHO, YMMV etc.

Brook ‘Lamorna’ OM (European Spruce/EIR) (2019)
Lowden F-23 (Red Cedar/Claro Walnut) (2017)
Martin D-18 (2012)
Martin HD-28V (2010)
Fender Standard Strat (2017-MIM)
Old 11-04-2019, 08:56 AM
Charter Member

I use both an old iPad 2 and an iPad mini with Onsong and have no issues at all with being able to see the pages. I don't care much for page turners or the scroll feature so I have the majority of my stuff is formatted to one page. If I have one that isn't formatted to one page, I can swipe the next page up one the fly with my picking hand without missing a beat. It just takes a bit of practice.
'18 Martin 000-17E "Willie"
‘23 Taylor AD12e-SB
'22 Taylor GTe Blacktop
'15 Martin 000X1AE

https://pandora.app.link/ysqc6ey22hb

Old 11-04-2019, 09:33 AM

Like everything else, you'll likely have to see what works for you. For what it's worth, I use the iPad Pro 12.9" with unrealBook and a PageFlip Firefly for page control. With this iPad I have full charts at full size. I have run up to 5-page charts for sessions and you never have to turn a page or do anything, but play, by hand. I've never had a problem. Again, like everything else, you have to learn to use everything through practice.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion