The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-03-2019, 09:12 PM
Charter Member

Default Difference in playing Larrivee OM or OOO with Compound vs Standard 16 radius

What's the difference in playability (or feel) on a Larrivee (OM or OOO) with a compound radius vs the newer standard 16 radius ? I'm thinking it would make the greatest difference further up the fretboar (but I could be wrong). Is one easier or harder to fret than the other ? A brief primer on compound vs standard radius fretboards would also be helpful. THANKS!
Old 11-03-2019, 09:51 PM

I just commented on your other thread, but didn’t comment on radius. I prefer the new 16’ radius, as it’s more familiar to my hands. Some folks love the older compound radius, but it felt odd to me as it flattened out up the neck. The 16’ just felt like home from the moment I first played my OM-03.
Old 11-03-2019, 11:59 PM

Can't tell the difference on the first 5-7 frets,

As you go up the neck the compound gets a bit easier to play. As always YMMV.

Normally you can only get a compound radius on high end custom guitars, I think it's a shame Larrivee dropped the compound and copied Martin again, it was one of the features that made them stand out.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion