The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-17-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Default Pricing on Yamaha LS26?

If you could get a LS26 for $1,000 should you do it? It has a few bumps but looks ok. Seller is not knowledgeable.

Thoughts on this price sight unseen is greatly appreciated!

Thank you
Old 10-17-2019, 05:16 PM

"A few bumps" is a bit vague, but for that price, I'd drive a few hundred miles with $1000 cash in hand to check it out. I can't even find any L series above 16 in my area to see in person.

I would not buy sight unseen and have it shipped from a private seller though.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:02 AM

Yes I WOULD!!! That is a very good price on a next to the top of the line Yamaha. The top model is the 36 series, but the 26 series is every bit as fine a guitar, just less bling...so really an equally top of the line instrument!!!

BUT...kind of a red flag flying here that the seller is not knowledgeable IF they are the original owner.

Unless the seller is in Japan, these guitars were, and are, very rare to find here in the US, and the people who owned them knew what they were and actively sought them out.

Even a re-seller would have had to be somewhat knowledgeable about these unless they just lucked out on one at a garage sale or pawn shop, or Craigs List snag...still...most re-sellers would know to do some research to figure out what they have.

Proceed carefully, but it is a really good price on a superb guitar!

duff
Be A Player...Not A Polisher

Last edited by mcduffnw; 10-18-2019 at 07:41 AM.
Old 10-18-2019, 07:34 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcduffnw View Post
Yes I WOULD!!! That is a very good price on a next to the top of the line Yamaha. The is the 36 series, but the 26 series is every bit as fine a guitar, just less bling...so really an equally top of the line instrument!!!

BUT...kind of a red flag flying here that the seller is not knowledgeable IF they are the original owner.

Unless the seller is in Japan, these guitars were, and are, very rare to find here in the US, and the people who owned them knew what they were and actively sought them out.

Even a re-seller would have had to be somewhat knowledgeable about these unless they just lucked out on one at a garage sale or pawn shop, or Craigs List snag...still...most re-sellers would know to do some research to figure out what they have.

duff
Duff,

The seller is a pawn shop, and says it is in beatiful condition with the exception of the dings and scratches shown. I'll try and get more informaton.

Thanks!
Old 10-18-2019, 10:41 AM
Charter Member

Unless that guitar has giant cracks or extra holes that is a great price. If they put it on Reverb at that price it would sell today.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjm1580 View Post
Duff,

The seller is a pawn shop...
Which pawn shop??? If you don't want it, I'll get them to send it to me in the UK.
Old 10-18-2019, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Smile

Quote:
Yes I WOULD!!! That is a very good price on a next to the top of the line Yamaha. The top model is the 36 series, but the 26 series is every bit as fine a guitar, just less bling...so really an equally top of the line instrument!!!

duff
Duff,

Threw out an $800 offer and THEY ACCEPTED!!!

Hope it is as good as it looks!

I'll let you know.

Steve
Old 10-18-2019, 03:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Slowhand View Post
Which pawn shop??? If you don't want it, I'll get them to send it to me in the UK.
Sorry, I made an $800 offer and they accepted.

Hope it's a good one!

Steve
Old 10-19-2019, 03:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Sorry, I made an $800 offer and they accepted.

Hope it's a good one!

Steve
Well done, hope it turns out well. I wasn't serious, btw.
Old 10-19-2019, 06:43 AM

Quote:

duff
The top of the line for production models is actually the LL/LS 56 ($7,000)-and if you want the ultimate there's the LL86 Custom at around $12,000.
I'd be jumping all over that 26 at that price having owned an LL26 some years ago before the spec changed.
I take your 'red flag' point, but there are some people who will buy costly things like high-end guitars just because they can, having money to burn, irrespective of knowledge or ability.

Last edited by AndrewG; 10-19-2019 at 06:55 AM.
Old 10-19-2019, 08:50 AM

Congratulations. I think this is a rare case where the pawn shop got the short end of the stick.
Cordoba SM-CE Mini Classical Acoustic
Ibanez Blazer 21 MIJ Stratocaster

2 Yamaha PSR-SX900 keyboards I play professionally
Roland FP-90 digital piano I play for pleasure with piano VSTs.
Old 10-19-2019, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndrewG View Post
The top of the line for production models is actually the LL/LS 56 ($7,000)-and if you want the ultimate there's the LL86 Custom at around $12,000.
I'd be jumping all over that 26 at that price having owned an LL26 some years ago before the spec changed.
I take your 'red flag' point, but there are some people who will buy costly things like high-end guitars just because they can, having money to burn, irrespective of knowledge or ability.
Hey AndrewG Fair point on the LL56 and LL86 to be sure, but you are basically almost never going to see them over here unless someone goes over and imports one, and the LL26/36 at least you have a vague chance of finding one here...really vague if you are looking for brand new. Yamaha can sell virtually all of the top line Yamaha acoustics they make over in the Orient, and they don't make them in very large numbers anyway, as I know you well know {;-), so they don't feel any sense of urgency to ramp up production and distribution here in the US, especially with having to deal with CITES import issues. Just not worth the hassle to Yamaha for so few guitars made.

And the top of the production line, though it is really more of a full on custom shop model line, is still the L-51, 52, 53, 54, 55 chassis's for customs, but again...special order only...Japan only, and 20K and up.

Boy an L-53 Denver Custom model would sure be a grail for me though!!!

I will not hold my breath however...

duff
Old 10-19-2019, 05:38 PM

Quote:
Hey AndrewG Fair point on the LL56 and LL86 to be sure, but you are basically almost never going to see them over here unless someone goes over and imports one, and the LL26/36 at least you have a vague chance of finding one here...really vague if you are looking for brand new. Yamaha can sell virtually all of the top line Yamaha acoustics they make over in the Orient, and they don't make them in very large numbers anyway, as I know you well know {;-), so they don't feel any sense of urgency to ramp up production and distribution here in the US, especially with having to deal with CITES import issues. Just not worth the hassle to Yamaha for so few guitars made.

And the top of the production line, though it is really more of a full on custom shop model line, is still the L-51, 52, 53, 54, 55 chassis's for customs, but again...special order only...Japan only, and 20K and up.

Boy an L-53 Denver Custom model would sure be a grail for me though!!!

I will not hold my breath however...

duff
Sweetwater had both an LL36 and LL56 in stock a couple months ago...they are rare though, that’s for sure...

I believe you can build to order either but the wait can be 8 months to a year apparently...
2019 PRS Silver Sky
Old 10-20-2019, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Duff,

Threw out an $800 offer and THEY ACCEPTED!!!

Hope it is as good as it looks!

I'll let you know.

Steve
Congratulations you just acquired an awesome guitar for an absolute steel. I wouldn't be too worried about dings at that price.
Old 10-20-2019, 01:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbone View Post
Sweetwater had both an LL36 and LL56 in stock a couple months ago...they are rare though, that’s for sure...

I believe you can build to order either but the wait can be 8 months to a year apparently...
WOW!!! An LL-56 in stock is amazing!!! I would love to try that one.

duff

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion