The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 10-19-2019, 11:47 AM

Default Taylor Academy 12E vs Martin DJR-10

I can either get the Taylor used but in pristine condition for $550 or the New Martin for $450. Help me decide. Thanks

Last edited by jeffloan; 10-19-2019 at 12:45 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

I prefer the Martin. No question.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:17 PM

Martin regardless of the model.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:30 PM

First off, welcome to the forum!

I've played the Taylor and was surprised at how good it was. I own the original Martin D Jr. 2 (2015). I've not played the new version of the D Jr.10

Nobody can really make that decision for you but only tell you our own preferences. I can point out the pros and cons to both (at least in my view);

The Taylor

Pros

-the arm bevel is a very nice touch previously featured on only their high end models

-the gigbag is likely quite a bit nicer than the one that comes with the Martin

-it has a slightly longer scale than the Martin, so if you ever use a capo....

-the stock pickup likely sounds better than the Fishman in the Martin

Cons

-laminate back and sides, won't have that "vintage" tone years from now like the Martin will

-1 11/16 nut width. Many players prefer a bit more space there

The Martin

Pros

-all solid woods and will sound better as it ages

-1.75 nut width, excellent if you prefer more space for your fretting hand. Great for fingerstyle

Cons

-shorter scale (24") and might be a problem for some, but also makes for a slightly more comfortable/ intimate experience

-the pickup will not sound as nice as the stock Taylor ESB, and also does not have a built in tuner

-it's been reported that the gigbag for these is just okay, but Taylor is known for having some of the nicest gigbags in the business. I have a custom D Jr. hardshell case for my guitar so I can't speak from first hand experience on either bag- but I've seen the Taylor bags here on the forum and at airports. Very nice!
Old 10-19-2019, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
First off, welcome to the forum!

I've played the Taylor and was surprised at how good it was. I own the original Martin D Jr. 2 (2015). I've not played the new version of the D Jr.10

Nobody can really make that decision for you but only tell you our own preferences. I can point out the pros and cons to both (at least in my view);

The Taylor

Pros

-the arm bevel is a very nice touch previously featured on only their high end models

-the gigbag is likely quite a bit nicer than the one that comes with the Martin

-it has a slightly longer scale than the Martin, so if you ever use a capo....

-the stock pickup likely sounds better than the Fishman in the Martin

Cons

-laminate back and sides, won't have that "vintage" tone years from now like the Martin will

-1 11/16 nut width. Many players prefer a bit more space there

The Martin

Pros

-all solid woods and will sound better as it ages

-1.75 nut width, excellent if you prefer more space for your fretting hand. Great for fingerstyle

Cons

-shorter scale (24") and might be a problem for some, but also makes for a slightly more comfortable/ intimate experience

-the pickup will not sound as nice as the stock Taylor ESB, and also does not have a built in tuner

-it's been reported that the gigbag for these is just okay, but Taylor is known for having some of the nicest gigbags in the business. I have a custom D Jr. hardshell case for my guitar so I can't speak from first hand experience on either bag- but I've seen the Taylor bags here on the forum and at airports. Very nice!
Thanks so much. The Martin didn't have electronics at that price. My fingers are short and fat. Do you think the 1.75 but will help it hurt my playing.
Old 10-19-2019, 12:47 PM

Buy the one you like. One is not better than the other.

I haven't played the new Academy series, but when I was in your position I auditioned the Martin DJR and the Taylor Big Baby. The Taylor was the easy winner for me. It sounds great (I like the crisper sound), plays great, and I love the longer 25.5 scale.

The Martin is an excellent guitar as well, just different.
Old 10-19-2019, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffloan View Post
Thanks so much. The Martin didn't have electronics at that price. My fingers are short and fat. Do you think the 1.75 but will help it hurt my playing.
I have short stubby fingers. I find wider fretboards much, much, easier to play, especially when the scale length gets shorter.

Of the two, I much prefer the Martin.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-19-2019, 02:00 PM

Also for that price, I'd look at a Yamaha A series.
Old 10-19-2019, 02:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffloan View Post
If you could play both before buying that would be ideal. Your ears and hands would tell you pretty quickly which you preferred. Having said that, the Martin with no pickup isn't a big deal. I put a JJB 330 SBT in mine and LOVE IT, I mean like it's the best gutiar/pickup combo I've ever used and I've had a few acoustics in the last 15 or so years. Here are a couple videos so you can here side-by-side. There are many comparing the Taylor GS Mini to the Martin D Jr10, but not the Academy. Please note that I picked videos that feature both guitars unamplified.

Old 10-19-2019, 03:08 PM

I dont like tiny guitars, they are hard tohold and therefore hard to play. If Martin had a guitar with the specs of the Taylor Id choose Martin but since theres is a lot more than the Taylor Id say go with the taylor.
Old 10-19-2019, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
I dont like tiny guitars, they are hard tohold and therefore hard to play. If Martin had a guitar with the specs of the Taylor Id choose Martin but since theres is a lot more than the Taylor Id say go with the taylor.
YMDV (your mileage does vary). Curious comment here- small guitars are hard to hold? I'm 6'1" and 215 lbs and love small guitars. OM or Concert size is as large as I will go, and every time I play a Dread or Jumbo I find them uncomfortable and in a short while. Small guitars also have built in feedback rejection, another reason for liking them for live playing.

Last edited by steelvibe; 10-19-2019 at 03:33 PM.
Old 10-19-2019, 09:07 PM

Im trying to be helpful to the OP. What I meant was that I find parlor's hard to play, I just havent been able to find a way to hold them and play at the same time. Im a veteran of 60 yrs of playing so no newbie. I also find I have to use a neck up for 00, dreads are too big for me as I am of average size. 000's are perfect, I can wedge them against 3 points and am free to play. Thank you for helping me to clarify my post.
Old 10-19-2019, 10:49 PM

Quote:
Im trying to be helpful to the OP. What I meant was that I find parlor's hard to play, I just havent been able to find a way to hold them and play at the same time. Im a veteran of 60 yrs of playing so no newbie. I also find I have to use a neck up for 00, dreads are too big for me as I am of average size. 000's are perfect, I can wedge them against 3 points and am free to play. Thank you for helping me to clarify my post.
I don't quite understand alot of what you're saying. But I appreciate you helping me.
Old 10-19-2019, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Im trying to be helpful to the OP. What I meant was that I find parlor's hard to play,
Well, the Dread Jr. is a Dread Shaped OM/000 size guitar (15" lower bout). So, it's actually a bit larger than an OM.

The Taylor 12e is also OM/000 size (15" lower bout).

Neither of these could be considered even close to a Parlor size.

I do think that the narrower fretboard on the Taylor is a bit tight though.
Rainsong SFTA-FLE; WS3000; CH-PA
Taylor GA3-12, Guild F-212

https://markhorning.bandcamp.com/music
Old 10-20-2019, 04:37 AM

Both options are great. Both are amazing guitars, and each model has its benefits.

I'm a Taylor fanboy....and currently shopping for another one...but of the two, I'd pick the Martin. The scale length is great for general purpose, anytime playing. The full nut width is awesome. The tone of mine is amazing.

Can't go wrong with either, though!
'20 PRS P20
'19 Yamaha FS830

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion