The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2012, 04:11 PM

Avelon make absolutely beautiful guitars and are not - as some have implied, a lesser version of a Lowden. Far from it, I think the quality and workmanship is first class and it shows it where it matters - the sound. !!
Old 11-23-2012, 04:14 PM

Wow, talk about bringing a thread back from the dead, this started in 2007 ...
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 11-23-2012, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Double zombie thread. Dead twice and back to life!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by celticlofts View Post
Avelon make absolutely beautiful guitars and are not - as some have implied, a lesser version of a Lowden. Far from it, I think the quality and workmanship is first class and it shows it where it matters - the sound. !!
couldn't agree more and I own both. heres one of my Avalons:
Old 11-23-2012, 11:39 PM
Charter Member

Avalon sadly went out of business a few weeks ago.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-23-2012, 11:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yrksman View Post
Avalon sadly went out of business a few weeks ago.
They went into receivership and Steve McIlwrath (one of the previous owners) purchased the assets in late August with plans of reinstating production in September. That was the last I heard... has something else happened?
that's me on guitar
Old 11-24-2012, 12:14 AM
Charter Member

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-18207130

No news of any developments recently that I can find.

Chris Stern

Guitars by:

Bown Wingert Kinscherff Sobell Circa Olson Ryan Fay Kopp McNally Santa Cruz McAlister Beneteau Fairbanks Franklin Collings Tippin Martin Lowden Northworthy Pre-War GC Taylor Fender Höfner

44 in total (no wife)

Around 30 other instruments

Anyone know a good psychiatrist?

www.chrisstern.com
Old 11-24-2012, 03:20 AM

According to Steve McIlwrath, Avalon is alive and well with plans to relaunch in Jan 2013 with a revamped website etc.

Keith
Old 11-24-2012, 03:23 AM

Steve McIlwrath told me just last week that they are currently keeping a low profile whilst they get a few things sorted.

They are currently dehumidifying the workshop and allowing new supplies of tonewood stock to season. They would be back with a bang in January 2013 with a new website etc.

He said spread the word that they're back!

I have owned several Lowdens (and still do - PB, S32J and S10-12) and had the great pleasure to own a Avalon steel string (only sold cos it had a 43mm nut width) and currently own a Avalon nylon (A25J).

The woods used are the same, in that they both use the best tonewoods possible. The build quality is the same, they both ooze quality, attention to detail and are clearly made by very experienced and knowledgable master craftsman. The designs are slightly different but they both sound simply jaw droppingly gorgeous and play like a dream.

I would heartily recommend either for anyone!!!

[I'm only referring to the NI made ones, as never tried either of the non NI Lowdens/Avalons]

I'll also take this opportunity say I'm having a yummy cedar/ziricote guitar made by new NI luthier Andreas Montgomery. He was trained by the Sam Irwin and it has a nod to some of the Lowden aesthetics but again it's his own design.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:32 AM

... thanks dweez - hoped you might turn up soon.
Keith
Old 11-24-2012, 03:38 AM

Default Is an Avalon the same as a Lowden?

Avalons are great guitars, unfortunately for them there are a lot of ignorant people that claim they are poorer quality to Lowdens which they clearly aren't. I would say Avalon guitars second hand are the best guitars you can get for your money because they just aren't very well known and they aren't generally in guitar stores so when I bought one I had never played one or seen one before. I have an Avalon L31 custom, I went to a guitar show a couple of weeks ago and played all the top end Lowdens, there was only one Lowden that I would have swapped my guitar for and that was around £4000 and I only liked it more for the materials really. Not that the other Lowdens weren't great guitars, just that I preferred my Avalon to most of them. Also playability going from a Avalon to a Lowden they both have the same feel.

I doubt I will ever part with my Avalon as I have yet to play a guitar that I think sounds better or has better playability. Everyone I play it to comments on how good the tone is.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:51 AM

Here's a sneak preview of my new Montgomery...

It would be great to have a Lowden S32J and an Avalon S32J, that would be a great way to compare! However it's a little OTT.

My S32J is a killer guitar (and I hear Richard Thompson loves his too). It does stuff to my brain that I love. The more I play nylon the more I like it and so thought it would be great to have a cedar topped nylon to compliment the spruce on the S32J. I then figured that it would be nice with the warmth of the cedar to have a bigger body too so a F23J. Sadly Lowden don't do one. However I was jumping with joy when I discovered that Avalon do the A25J, same size as the F size.

So now I can compare two recent Lowden and Avalon nylons. The A25J is every bit as good as the S32J. They are both dream guitars. Same feel, same neck (which is a blessing), same quality, same brain melting gorgeous tone. They are different but equals.

Oh and my old Montgomery was every bit as good as the Lowdens/Avalons. If you want a bargain get Andreas to make you one!

I've bought and sold a lot of guitars but I shall not be parting with either nylon.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:04 AM

Default Avalon

Avalon are first rate guitars. I have owned many Lowdens and they too are wonderful but Avalon are not a poor relation. Nice to see Andreas Montgomery getting a mention. I have one of his small bodied prototypes. Black Cedar over Maple.

Ciaran McNally is another young NI luthier but George Lowden figured he was so good that he gave him a job at Lowden. I have two of his guitars built before he went to work for George. This is a Baritone.

Last edited by gusguthrie; 11-24-2012 at 04:11 AM.
Old 11-24-2012, 04:11 AM

What's the baritone like?
Old 11-24-2012, 04:14 AM

If you're looking for a world class, luthier built guitar from Northern Island, then Lowden, Avalon and McIlroy are all singing from similar hymn sheets. They are not the same, one is not a cheaper version of the other (though some cost less 'same for same') and they are all mighty fine guitars. I've played examples of all of them, and their is a lineage in the tone and general appearance for sure. After all, they all came up via the same route; Lowden. Here's my McIlroy. FYI, in the shot of the back, the lacquer/finishing process is incomplete:

Yamaha CPX-700/12
Yamaha LS16
Yamaha FG-300
Yamaha FG-580
Vox V2000-DR

+ electric guitars..

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion