The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Closed Thread

Old 08-11-2019, 12:31 PM
Charter Member

(post removed - commentary on language that's been removed elsewhere)

Last edited by raysachs; 08-11-2019 at 03:06 PM. Reason: whole post was a response to language that was removed elsewhere.
Old 08-11-2019, 12:51 PM

I know someone who had two pits, both raised from pups. One was the most loving gentle animal I have ever known. The other was not, and eventually had to be put down. Its not just the training or owner that is the problem, its temperament. That comes from breeding - having aggressive parents. People want to ignore that, but its true of most animals, and maybe humans too.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harpon View Post
The stupid woman was taking them up the street with no leashes- I just heard the commotion I didn't see any of it

There oughta be a law- stupid high charged dogs in tiny old houses- a threat to all who live here.
Call a cop, then sue ... really. A pet owner is RESPONSIBLE to maintain control over the animal at ALL times. Walking a pit bull off the leash is about as irresponsible as it gets.
Old 08-11-2019, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Not sure if she's going to make it- she quit bleeding and come out of total shock, but doesn't seem to have use of her back legs.

The poor thing was on the front stoop and I had just got home from the grocery. The beastial animals moved in next door a couple of years back and several times I think they would have attacked me if there wasn't a fence between us. The stupid woman was taking them up the street with no leashes- I just heard the commotion I didn't see any of it

I hate these dogs and those who often seem t have not one- but two or more of them just to intimidate other people,

There oughta be a law- high charged dogs in tiny old houses- a threat to all who live here.
I'm sorry about your cat.

I used to have a pit bull; she passed two years ago at age 11. In those 11 years, she never bit a soul. She rarely ever barked or growled, come to think of it. She was one of the most loving creatures I've ever known.

I didn't get her to intimidate anyone. I got her because she was a wonderful companion.

I never worried about her biting me or anyone else. Hell, Labrador Retrievers are responsible for a much higher percentage of dog bites that pit bulls.

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-11-2019 at 02:19 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate references from quote and post
Old 08-11-2019, 01:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanEagle View Post
As a cat lover and pit bull hater,
I feel your pain and anger.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy1951 View Post
If I were king, owning a Pit Bull would not be legal.

Over and over, they prove to be dangerous.

There are those that defend this breed. While these dogs cannot help being what they are, I wouldn't trust one as far as I could throw one.

With all the breeds of dogs available, there is no reason to have one of these dogs.

According to the Chicago Injury Center, pit bulls are responsible for roughly 8.4% of all dog bites. Labrador retrievers are responsible for 13.3% of all dog bites. The CIC is staffed with lawyers who sue for people who've been bitten, so I have to believe they've got their ducks in a row when it come down to the numbers on this.

Additionally, chihuahuas are noted as being one of the nastiest breeds out there. They actually bite far more often then Labs, but those bites go unreported because the injuries don't warrant treatment as often as the injuries sustained from a Lab bite. If you want a breed with exactly zero value, get a chihuahua

Yes, pit bulls are strong. They're also loving animals which, when raised correctly, provide wonderful companionship. Those who dismiss how a dog is raised, I would submit have never had a single encounter with a pit bull.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-11-2019 at 02:59 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate commentary
Old 08-11-2019, 02:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
I'm sorry about your cat.

I used to have a pit bull; she passed two years ago at age 11. In those 11 years, she never bit a soul. She rarely ever barked or growled, come to think of it. She was one of the most loving creatures I've ever known.

I didn't get her to intimidate anyone. I got her because she was a wonderful companion.

I never worried about her biting me or anyone else. Hell, Labrador Retrievers are responsible for a much higher percentage of dog bites that pit bulls.
This thread shouldn't be turned into a discussion about pit bulls, but I just want to make a quick comment.

Animals like dogs have different temperaments, but beyond that, they can have bad days or be in a bad mood. When a Lab is in a bad mood, sure they can bite... maybe more often than pit bulls. But the chance of being mauled by a Lab is very small. When a pit bull is in a bad mood, when they lose it, they can maul someone. It's like having a tiger or chimp as a pet. They can be nice to their for owner for years, get in a bad mood one day, and kill their owner. It happens all the time.

Not only that, pit bulls might not bite people as often as other breeds, but they definitely go after animals more frequently than other breeds.

Yours was nice, so I get trying to defend them. I think a lot of people would if they had your experience. But, in general, they are ticking time bombs. Your dog never went off, which is great and I'm glad you liked her.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s

Last edited by Acousticado; 08-11-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Removed inappropriate commentary in quote
Old 08-11-2019, 02:15 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Sims View Post
Maybe because you are a gentleman and someone is grieving?
I think we can both offer sympathy for the grieving but still call out offensive content. There are a LOT of things we would and should never say around here (or anywhere for that matter, but here they're specifically against the rules) that just because we're grieving a loss wouldn't suddenly be OK to say. I tried to do both in my responses above.

-Ray

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-11-2019 at 02:32 PM. Reason: Comment on mod action
Old 08-11-2019, 02:22 PM

Quote:
I don't think Kitty will make it. She kept crying out repeatedly into last night- this happened about 8pm, but finally settled down and rested quietly. Her nose and face were bleeding and that was the first thing I saw when I got to her outside, but that bleeding stopped soon, and I thought maybe she was just in shock. Her legs will still not function and she has a slight seepage of blood on her back- Im afraid on of the monsters clamped down on her spine.

I sponged that area with some soapy water- the poor thing doesn't respond to any area I touch her with any sign of pain, so that gave me hope last night. Now it just seems paralysis,

I thought a nights rest might bring her around, but still no change- she can't move but is still resting quietly as of 1:30.

I drove to the vets about a mile off an hour ago to see if they are open. I'm afraid the trauma of a hot cart trip and the vets would finish her for sure. I have little faith that they can do much to cure her but put her to sleep, and for now I'm leaving her here, rather than traumatize her.

I'm 65, I've been sick most of this year and constantly under attack by people in this area. I'm always amazed that people so rotely respond with suggestive punitive measures.

I'm still hoping she'll pull through- she was a feral cat left in the yard when I got here 7 years ago. I had in tow then a feral cat left at the apartment building I was living, and a dog- he came after me on my bicycle once. He was on a very short tether and suddenly they put him on a much longer one and that other cat hadn't realized that.

If Kitty can't move by tomorrow, I'll take her to the vet. She probably won't return. Please don't ask me a lot of personal questions- I'm old I'm tired I'm upset and I don't want to debate. I lived most of my adult life in downtown Hollywood- this is Jacksonville now.
There are emergency vet clinics all over Jacksonville. I hate to be blunt, but you're not doing the cat any favors by waiting two days to have it seen by a vet.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:35 PM
Anticipation Junkie

Ok, mods have spent too much time cleaning up this thread. Inappropriate comments in a number of posts, including the OPs, have been cleaned-up without taking away from what should be the primary sentiment. Get back to being civil.
Old 08-11-2019, 02:41 PM

this is IMO what needs done- 1- cat needs a vet ASAP, 2- dogs need put down-period, 3-- owner should be fined
Fender Strat Partscaster
Ibanez SR400 EQM bass
Old 08-11-2019, 02:42 PM

Like others here, I'm sorry to hear the OP's pet has been injured, and I wish the best for them...

That being said, I'm the owner of a 3 year old female Pit Bull I rescued a year ago from a neglectful and abusive owner...she's the most kind hearted, loving dog I've ever owned, and my family including my young grandkids love her and trust her unconditionally...

It saddens me that irresponsible breeders and owners have used these dogs to further their own inhumane agendas, whether for profit or intimidation...any large breed of dog can be trained or conditioned to behave in an unsafe, dangerous manner and then the media fans the flames...in the 70's it was German Shepherds, Dobermans in the 80's, Rottweilers in the 90's and now it's the American Pit Bull Terrier, a breed that's been around since the late 1800's...

Since I've owned my dog, Cleopatra, I've met a number of owners who all share my experience with these dogs, and can honestly say I have yet to came into contact with a dog I haven't been comfortable around...
Old 08-11-2019, 02:43 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Not sure if she's going to make it- she quit bleeding and come out of total shock, but doesn't seem to have use of her back legs.

The poor thing was on the front stoop and I had just got home from the grocery. The beastial animals moved in next door a couple of years back and several times I think they would have attacked me if there wasn't a fence between us. The stupid woman was taking them up the street with no leashes- I just heard the commotion I didn't see any of it

I hate these dogs and those who often seem t have not one- but two or more of them just to intimidate other people,

There oughta be a law- high charged dogs in tiny old houses- a threat to all who live here.
Sorry to hear about it . It is sad and frustrating when ignorance and irresponsible behavior result in animals getting needlessly injured.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-11-2019, 02:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoffeeFan View Post
According to the Chicago Injury Center, pit bulls are responsible for roughly 8.4% of all dog bites. Labrador retrievers are responsible for 13.3% of all dog bites. The CIC is staffed with lawyers who sue for people who've been bitten, so I have to believe they've got their ducks in a row when it come down to the numbers on this.

Additionally, chihuahuas are noted as being one of the nastiest breeds out there. They actually bite far more often then Labs, but those bites go unreported because the injuries don't warrant treatment as often as the injuries sustained from a Lab bite. If you want a breed with exactly zero value, get a chihuahua

Yes, pit bulls are strong. They're also loving animals which, when raised correctly, provide wonderful companionship. Those who dismiss how a dog is raised, I would submit have never had a single encounter with a pit bull.
Dogs bite. That's why there are leash laws in most if not all suburban areas.
Pit bulls kill. Too many of them were not raised correctly, and/or trained to fight. A sad thing that I personally label under "animal cruelty by humans". That's why they are much more regulated than other breeds. If they weren't, those statistics you enumerated would need revision, I suspect.
It's not fiction that many people get pit bulls for all the wrong reasons. Not everyone, but too many.
If a person owns a pit bull, and is responsible, caring and smart, they don't go around town walking with the thing unleashed, and preen around intimidating others.
If a person owns a pit bull, and is a moron, or worse, they do go around town walking with the thing unleashed, and, I guess, they get a kick out of scaring people and animals.
A neighbor who walks around any suburban area with a pit bull, unleashed, is exhibiting criminal behavior. It's not the dog's fault they were bred that way. The cuddly ones are the exception and not the rule.
And no thanks. I've never cared for chihuahuas either as a breed, but I do love dogs and have owned my share.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-11-2019 at 03:00 PM. Reason: Edited quote; Adjusted accordingly
Old 08-11-2019, 03:13 PM

Thank you all for your responses. Safe to say we all wish this had not happened, we hope the best for the cat that was injured, hope that appropriate actions are taken for wrong doing by the neighbor's dog, but this thread has run its course. Again, thank you all for your opinions and concerns.

TomB'sox

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic