The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-09-2019, 06:51 PM
Charter Member

Default Trigger finger and ulnar nerve transposition

Having elbow and finger issues on my left hand. Having surgery for ulnar nerve transposition and a trigger finger release on Thursday. Just wondering if anyone has had similar operations. I'm 22 years old and kinda bummed out I'm having issues such as this so early.
Old 08-10-2019, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

I had the ulnal nerve done on both sides about 10 years ago. I waited too long before having the operation and not all of the sensation or response came back, but if you have it done early I understand it should. I can still play but sometimes the left hand fingers don't go to the right string (but maybe I'm just not any good...)
My advice is to respect the recovery time and after getting the all clear do periodic flossing exercises. There are some good examples on YouTube. This lessens any potential for scar tissue snagging the nerve. This happened to a friend of mine and is entirely worth avoiding.
YMMV
Good luck, let us know how you get on.
Old 08-10-2019, 09:45 AM

Are you playing video games hours a day? If so, stop it. Analyze what hand/arm/finger activities you're doing, and start strengthening/stretching the opposing muscle groups, when rehabilitation is complete.
Many of our trigger finger patients, (male), were overusing the finger flexors on video game controllers, and were so deeply involved, they never noticed they were doing this 20-40 hours per week. Good luck.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:22 AM

I had that surgery 3 years ago. I couldn't even bend my fingers. I've regained about 90% use of my hand. The feeling also came back about 80%. I waited too long to get it evaluated.
The first thing you should do is quit doing some things that aggravate the nerve. Overuse with anything that makes you press the fingers (keyboard, guitar strings, controllers) need an rest and minimize use, or be efficient. A bad habit of mine was resting my elbow on tables and car windows and such.
After the surgery my nerve is very sensitive and I have learned not to rest it on anything hard. If I do the sensation quickly reminds me. I do regular stretching and occasional NSAIDS after any high use days. I keep any pills to a minimum.
Good luck.
Old 08-12-2019, 01:56 PM

I had trigger finger in my left index finger. Cortisone shot and PT cleared it up.

Sorry you have to go through surgery.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic