The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-02-2019, 06:40 PM
Charter Member

Default Need input selecting new TV

Hi folks,
Our 10 year old SONY Bravia XBR TV is having some backlight screen issues. No matter how many times I try to reset or start it back up, it only works for a short while before conking out. I've tried everything, so I suspect a faulty component, and with the TV’s age, it’s probably a better idea just to replace it rather than spend big bucks to fix it. (The LED at the lower right blinks 6 times before pausing, another sign pointing towards something gone bad in the circuitry).
I don’t have a lot of room, so the max screen size I could go with is a is 50”, preferably smaller.
I’ve been eyeing this model, which would be available locally:
Sony - 49" Class - LED - X900F Series - 2160p - Smart - 4K Ultra HD TV with HDR
Model:XBR49X900F
Reviews seem to be pretty good.

But before I pull the trigger, would you have any other suggestions for me for a better model? It’s been a while since I’ve looked into the TV tech scene.
The above model is about $1K. SONYs are usually premium priced, but I've had good luck with them. Ours is about 12 years old now. That's the first problem we've had.
Any input much appreciated.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 08-02-2019, 06:42 PM

We chose the Sony XBR-55X900F over its lower cost Samsung equivalent on the basis of positive reviews from a number of sources despite our having been happy with Samsungs for many years. This Sony TV is not good. Although not OLED, the TV is very much in the OLED style with deep blacks, high contrast and vivid colors. I would not describe the image as “natural”. It’s more the kind of image you’d want for video games or animated movies. Color balance is not optimal, and shadow values are so poor that I yearn for some kind of gamma correction. The glossy screen surface presents reflectivity issues, and there is some corner darkening typical of edge-lit LCDs. Out of the box performance was poor, with a lot of features turned “on” that I’d rather have “off”. The auto program detection feature presented sports with a comical level of color fluorescence, particularly the reds, while movies were dull and muddy. The auto brightness detection feature rendered the image too dark. The Bluetooth service will not recognize or connect to Apple Air Pods. The promised Xfinity streaming app does not appear to be present, and the voice remote is pretty useless if you’re stuck using a cable box with its own remote. Assistance with any of these issues would have been welcomed, but the manual is useless and a total waste of paper. I had to go to the internet to figure out how to change the most basic settings. I’m not so disgruntled with the TV that I’ll send it back, but I wish I’d had the opportunity to do some side-by-side comparisons with other models prior to purchase. Surely there are other TVs that are a better value.

Note: One week into ownership, the remote stopped working and had to be replaced.
Old 08-02-2019, 06:46 PM

Depends on how much you want to spend, but OLEDs are the best TVs out now. I bought an OLED 3 years ago and still think it's amazing.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-02-2019, 06:50 PM
Charter Member

Last year I got an LG OLED 55 inch (smallest they make ) going to run a bit more like $1400 to $1700 BUT I can highly recommend it. Check them out Best Buy has them if there is one near you.

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-02-2019, 07:13 PM
Anticipation Junkie

We’ve had great luck with Samsung TVs for quite a long time now. Anyone we’ve known who has a Samsung seems to be very pleased. We just bought and are preparing to install a 43” “The Frame” by Samsung on the chimney over our fireplace. This TV flush mounts to the wall and is a TV when it’s on, appears as an art piece when it’s off (displays a range of famous and not so famous artwork appearing with matting and looks very real). It’s pricey but is the best option for our particular mounting need.
Old 08-02-2019, 07:27 PM
Charter Member

Great info all. Thanks much for that input. Very helpful.
Although tempting, I'm glad I held back from pulling the trigger on that SONY.
In the meantime I checked out some of the techy forums dealing with TV repairs, and found out more about the blinking LED issue. Never a good thing when it blinks red, and 6 times definitely points to a faulty component involved with picture backlighting. As suspected, remedies for those problems are both time consuming and not cheap.
So, not going that route.
I do have Best Buy stores locally, more than one even. I'll go there tomorrow and check out the OLED models.
I'll tell you, I only have good things to say about LG equipment. First it was a washing machine, which has just been terrific. Then I got one of their Microwaves. Same thing. And this spring I snagged one of their portable AC models early in the season. What a nice product. Good thing too. When I
tried to buy a second one I found out they have been out of stock since June.

So I'll definitely check them out tomorrow. The only drawback for me is the size. I probably could make it work, but a 45" would be the ideal size for our room.
I'll also check out the Samsungs in the smaller sizes. Thanks!

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated!

- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

Old 08-02-2019, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndreF View Post
Great info all. Thanks much for that input. Very helpful.
Although tempting, I'm glad I held back from pulling the trigger on that SONY.
In the meantime I checked out some of the techy forums dealing with TV repairs, and found out more about the blinking LED issue. Never a good thing when it blinks red, and 6 times definitely points to a faulty component involved with picture backlighting. As suspected, remedies for those problems are both time consuming and not cheap.
So, not going that route.
I do have Best Buy stores locally, more than one even. I'll go there tomorrow and check out the OLED models.
I'll tell you, I only have good things to say about LG equipment. First it was a washing machine, which has just been terrific. Then I got one of their Microwaves. Same thing. And this spring I snagged one of their portable AC models early in the season. What a nice product. Good thing too. When I
tried to buy a second one I found out they have been out of stock since June.

So I'll definitely check them out tomorrow. The only drawback for me is the size. I probably could make it work, but a 45" would be the ideal size for our room.
I'll also check out the Samsungs in the smaller sizes. Thanks!

Thanks again for your input. Much appreciated!
I'd jump on this personally:

https://slickdeals.net/share/android_app/fp/490180
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-02-2019, 08:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevWind View Post
Last year I got an LG OLED 55 inch (smallest they make ) going to run a bit more like $1400 to $1700 BUT I can highly recommend it. Check them out Best Buy has them if there is one near you.
Just posted a B8 for $900. Great deal.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-02-2019, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
We just bought and are preparing to install a 43” “The Frame” by Samsung on the chimney over our fireplace. This TV flush mounts to the wall and is a TV when it’s on, appears as an art piece when it’s off (displays a range of famous and not so famous artwork appearing with matting and looks very real). It’s pricey but is the best option for our particular mounting need.
Given this, I assume the display is on all the time, shortening its life.
Old 08-02-2019, 10:21 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robj144 View Post
Just posted a B8 for $900. Great deal.
Seems like a heck of price , must be a closeout deal .

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Old 08-02-2019, 11:37 PM

Quote:
Seems like a heck of price , must be a closeout deal .
Probably is... B9's will be in the inventory soon.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-03-2019, 06:45 AM

Another thing I learned from my latest acquisition experience is that TVs aren't just TVs anymore. They're internet interfaces. You can't just buy one, plug in a signal and go. The Sony I bought (see above) is really an android Google driver. You can't even run it without connecting to a network, and there are a bunch of functions you can't utilize if you're not logged into the Google-plex. I spent hours turning off all its 'helpful' features. It's invasive, but that's the world we live in.
Old 08-03-2019, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks again for all the helpful input.
Just got back from Best Buy and thought I'd provide an update to close the chapter.
Out of the many models there I thought the above type (LG 55 OLED) had the best and clearest picture. A real upgrade from my LCD SONY.
There was only one 55" inch model left in stock (not even any in the nearby stores), so I snagged it. This is the model number:
LG OLED55C9PUA.
More money than what I wanted to spend initially, and a bigger screen, but you know how that goes.....
I'll set it up this afternoon. Looking forward to the improvements.

Quote:
AX17609 Another thing I learned from my latest acquisition experience is that TVs aren't just TVs anymore. They're internet interfaces. You can't just buy one, plug in a signal and go. The Sony I bought (see above) is really an android Google driver. You can't even run it without connecting to a network, and there are a bunch of functions you can't utilize if you're not logged into the Google-plex. I spent hours turning off all its 'helpful' features. It's invasive, but that's the world we live in.
I hear you. Will do the same with this one if it's too invasive.

Thanks again all!

- Paul Azinger

– Mark Twain

Old 08-03-2019, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just got back from Best Buy and thought I'd provide an update to close the chapter.
Out of the many models there I thought the above type (LG 55 OLED) had the best and clearest picture. A real upgrade from my LCD SONY.
There was only one 55" inch model left in stock (not even any in the nearby stores), so I snagged it. This is the model number:
LG OLED55C9PUA.
More money than what I wanted to spend initially, and a bigger screen, but you know how that goes.....

Thanks again all!
Hey great the C9 is the new model mine is either a C7 or C8 (out of town right now can't check) I have not found The LG smart interface to be too problematic or invasive Since I don't have broadcast or cable the only things I watch (besides DVD movies) is Netflix , Hulu and Amazon Prime

The remote ( at least mine) came with dedicated buttons for Netflix and Amazon Prime so I found that very handy

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube

System :

Old 08-03-2019, 01:31 PM

Quote:
LG OLED55C9PUA.

Thanks again all!
You didn't get the $900 OLED I posted? It's nearly identical to the one you got.

Also, you really have to test some HDR content by either getting a 4k Bluray, Amazon Prime, or the 4k subscription to Netflix. You're not really maximizing that TV until you do 4k HDR or Dolby Vision. It's really mind blowing.
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s