The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 06-29-2017, 01:30 PM
Charter Member

Location: Stationary home in NJ. Mobile home on any given highway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Well it took all day; picking up the guitar a few times all morning and then a 1:45:00 practice in the afternoon, but I'm back on track. Suzy pg3 with three fingers is nearly clean and once again the rhythm is coming back to Spike Driver. Go me!

It was probably not the best day to start something new, but I also started a cool 12 bar blues with a pick that should allow me to put in all the 12 bar blues pieces that I have been learning. I found it on vacay and wanted to give it a go.
That's great Lowrider! Having Suzy nearly clean and getting that rhythm to Spike Driver will lay in a good foundation for everything else. Way to go.
Old 06-29-2017, 01:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBman View Post
I have to work those into my practicing. I have to make a schedule of practice sessions to rotate things a bit. I'm neglecting too much good stuff.
With so much good material out there, I also at times find it tough to concentrate on one thing. But when I do, it's always nice to get something down in a shorter amount of time which allows me to move on to new stuff.
Old 06-29-2017, 09:19 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toby Walker View Post
With so much good material out there, I also at times find it tough to concentrate on one thing. But when I do, it's always nice to get something down in a shorter amount of time which allows me to move on to new stuff.
I've got 3 things in DADGAD I want to get moving good, then I'm back to some blues and then alternate other things in. I should make one or two practice sessions a week official Toby Walker sessions. I think it may be the only way for me to move through your stuff that I have At work I make lists and pound them into the ground. I have to apply it at home a little too.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Toby, here's the guitar that you inspired my wife to buy me. When we were leaving you show in Westbury, my wife said ''You should get a guitar like his, I'll buy it''. I took that to mean a grand performance guitar with a cut-away, not your exact guitar. So I've been looking and trying for the past two months and finally fell in love with the Martin Road Series GPCRSG. I ordered it from Maury's Music on Thursday around 3:30 and I got it at 12:30 on Friday

Practiced for about 3 hours yesterday and so far today for an hour. I'm loving my new guitar!

Old 07-01-2017, 01:28 PM
Charter Member

Wow!!! That's some wife!!!!! Yeah, the guitar is fantastic too! Congrats... on both of them.

And you can't go wrong with Maury.

Quote:
Toby, here's the guitar that you inspired my wife to buy me. When we were leaving you show in Westbury, my wife said ''You should get a guitar like his, I'll buy it''. I took that to mean a grand performance guitar with a cut-away, not your exact guitar. So I've been looking and trying for the past two months and finally fell in love with the Martin Road Series GPCRSG. I ordered it from Maury's Music on Thursday around 3:30 and I got it at 12:30 on Friday

Practiced for about 3 hours yesterday and so far today for an hour. I'm loving my new guitar!

Old 07-01-2017, 07:10 PM

Quote:
I'm working on Toby's beginner fingerpicking program. The first 4 bars of Oh Susanna has been like pulling teeth. The next four bars just seems to roll along. Right now it's slow and smooth. More work on it tomorrow.

Yeah, I started there and ended up bailing. Found the instructional part just moved too fast for me. Shame but I'm old.
Old 07-01-2017, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMKC View Post
Yeah, I started there and ended up bailing. Found the instructional part just moved too fast for me. Shame but I'm old.
Just stop the video and rewind a bit. Take your time and go at your speed. You wouldn't believe how slow I go with certain songs when I'm first learning them. When I say one beat at a time, I mean one beat at a time like 1...........................................2..... ....................................3 then repeat. I'll go that slow doing just one measure, then back again, then again. Once I understand the basic positions I will go to the next measure. Many times I won't even look at the video for a song until I can play it at half speed and then just to check on hand position matters if any exist.

After a while things just naturally speed up once you know where your fingers are going without looking. Sometimes getting to that point takes a while.

The hard part of learning a song is to have the patience not to play faster than the pace at which you make zero mistakes. That is hard. I like hearing the feedback of the melody of a song and I don't get it initially at the snails pace it takes for my fingers to learn where to go. Frustrating, but it pays off later.

Sad Moments {Marianne Vedral cover}:

My SoundCloud page

Some steel strings, some nylon.
Old 07-02-2017, 03:05 AM
Charter Member

Barry is 100% correct. At 67, I'm another old guy and I have to start everything so slow that it doesn't sound like music. One bar at a time; over and over and it naturally speeds up. Just when I think I'm making music, I start making mistakes or I lose my place and I have the hardest time memorizing songs. I don't care; I'm having a ball, my wife likes the sound of me playing mistakes and all, and I'm giving my brain a great work-out.

With Toby's videos take little bites then stop it and practice that one part until you have it slow and smooth, then add the next bar slowly. Pretty soon you'll have a line, then two.

When I got my Yamaha at Christmas time I wanted to learn to play it, not just strum along while I sang some old songs. It's a lot of work, but heck, old guys have a lot of time and I'm loving it.

Last edited by lowrider; 07-03-2017 at 04:16 AM.
Old 07-02-2017, 06:43 AM

Thanks for the encouragement fellows!
Old 07-02-2017, 06:54 AM
Charter Member

Give it a few months of every day practicing. Kind of like trying to learn a new language. Progress is not linear, things will fall into place all at once. You can do this!
Old 07-02-2017, 07:57 AM
Charter Member

[QUOTE=reeve21;5394392] Progress is not linear''

Heck, for me progress is random and hap-hazard. I can get something perfect and then totally blow it the next time and then not even get it good for a couple of days, then clean a few times in a row, then blow it, over and over again.

Just like triathlon, which I know a lot more about; nobody is born good at this. It takes a lot of time training. Some of us love the training, some don't!
Old 07-02-2017, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Quote:

With Toby's videos take little bites then stop it and practice that one part until you have it slow and smooth, then add the next bar slowly. Pretty soon you'll have a line, then two.
The 'magic' of a video is that you can stop it wherever you are and then take the time to practice it. I never expect anyone in the learning stages to play it with speed. Slow and steady is the key.
Old 07-02-2017, 04:09 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the encouragement fellows!
Keep the faith, keep working on it. I've been at it for about 6 weeks, if you take out for my vacay, and I just had a break-through day. Three straight, very clean passes though Suzy3 with 3 fingers, then some rollicking right through SpikeDriver a few times where it really sounded like the song. That doesn't mean it won't all fall apart tomorrow, but we have to celebrate our little victories. I treated myself to the next song Sugar Babe. Like Suzy, it has three versions and the first one doesn't feel like a foriegn language at all

After three passes through these one page songs, my hands are really feeling it. They need a lot of work to get them in Shape!

Last edited by lowrider; 07-03-2017 at 04:18 AM.
Old 07-03-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Keep the faith, keep working on it. I've been at it for about 6 weeks, if you take out for my vacay, and I just had a break-through day. Three straight, very clean passes though Suzy3 with 3 fingers, then some rollicking right through SpikeDriver a few times where it really sounded like the song. That doesn't mean it won't all fall apart tomorrow, but we have to celebrate our little victories. I treated myself to the next song Sugar Babe. Like Suzy, it has three versions and the first one doesn't feel like a foriegn language at all

After three passes through these one page songs, my hands are really feeling it. They need a lot of work to get them in Shape!
Wow! Congratulations. I'm also now about 6 weeks in and progressing, although somewhat slower than you. SuzyP3 is mostly smooth and steady at slow speed and getting faster bit by bit. The final C-G chord change trips me up most of the time but its just a matter of getting my pinky to go where its supposed to. I guess it's time to start getting into SpikeDriver
Voyage Air VAOM-02
Old 07-03-2017, 09:32 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptJack View Post
SuzyP3 is mostly smooth and steady at slow speed and getting faster bit by bit. The final C-G chord change trips me up most of the time but its just a matter of getting my pinky to go where its supposed to.:
Try leaving that last base note in C open (fourth string, second fret). It gives you more time to get the two fingers in place for the G. I'm attaching a pic of what I did to the two C bars. I've had a lot of fun messing up Toby's arrangement, mostly spitting the second pinch in each bar into ''base-note'', it just makes it roll through my brain better. But in the second bar of C, I put the second pinch back in and left the last base note open. It plays better for me.

Last edited by lowrider; 07-03-2017 at 09:55 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write