The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 04-25-2019, 12:56 PM

I really only sing if it's a request, but I've done MANY more solo electric gigs than solo acoustic. So much easier to amplify/sound good.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 05-02-2019, 08:30 AM

I gig almost exclusively with a 17” Archtop with a Gibson Johnny Smith pickup.

For me it offers a sound and texture that is easier to work with than any amplified flattop I have played for solo vocal accompaniment. Through a Fender amp or direct into a pa or Bose Compact, it has full sound with lots of resonance, cut and thrust, and bass for days.

I have other choices, a 57’ Martin 000-18 , two Collings(CJ and 000-01), but they seldom make it to my gigs.

Last edited by Pnewsom; 05-02-2019 at 09:13 AM.
Old 05-02-2019, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post

Just so you don’t think I don’t know what a good flattop sounds like, I have a 57’ 000-18 Martin, 000-01 and a CJ Collings. All lovely guitars, but much more difficult to amplify than an Archtop.
JMHO ... I think that amplified acoustic guitars rarely sound quite right, solo. They might fit well in a band mix but there's something missing when heard on their own. If they do sound good, it has taken lots of effort to get there. Amplified electric guitars sound more natural to me
and a guitar-shaped-object
Old 05-02-2019, 02:41 PM

Well it certainly is possible. But you're gonna need great balance, good footwork and a looper...

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 05-02-2019, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pnewsom View Post
... For me it offers a sound and texture that is easier to work with than any amplified flattop I have played for solo vocal accompaniment.
I like that you wrote "for me", because for me, flat-tops are the tool I prefer.
That said, if it works for you, and you get the repeat gigs, then that is great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by perttime View Post
JMHO ... I think that amplified acoustic guitars rarely sound quite right, solo.
I think they sound fine, and I don't think it takes that much effort, other than up front learning what works for you. I have a house Friday day gig where every other musician plays a full size Steinway Grand. I play my acoustic into my pedal board (Grace Alix, Keeley Delay Workstation, Tapestry Bloomery, and Wazacraft Tuner), into an Allen and Heath mixer, into an F series PA system (2 bottoms, 2 tops). The piano players constantly tell me my sound is as full or fuller than theirs. And these guys are serious talent.

Then I drive from that gig and play another house gig with my pedal board into a Schertler Jam 200 slaved into a yamaha mixer -JBL speaker based house system. It's a ridiculously noisy venue and yet the guitar and voice still cut just fine.

And on Saturdays, I play an outdoor gig with just my pedal board and Schertler Jam 400. I've never once felt like I needed any more fullness of volume, and these three gigs have led to some serious showcase and private gigs!

All three systems get great tone and fill the venues perfectly. I've had these gigs for over 6 years.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonics View Post
Well it certainly is possible. But you're gonna need great balance, good footwork and a looper...
I assure you you don't need a looper or great footwork, what you really need is the talent to know how to present a voice and a guitar. And most of the time, simple works much more than complex when you get right down to it. People that use loopers and backing tracks get the job done, and can be quite successful, and if that's what they like to do, more power to them. But I've never spent more than 15 minutes listening to this type of musician. I'm more attracted to a person that can get the job done simply with good tone! I've spent hours in my studio re-arranging songs to get the most impact for live performance in the most simple of arrangements. Funny thing I was an artist endorser for porch-board stomp boards, but one day (years back) I was playing the Sundance Film Festival and I guy came up to me and suggested that I leave out the floor board and concentrate on my guitar and voice. He said he'd been following me for a few years and really liked my style, but he was convinced I would sound better without it, and that I was most likely using the floor-board as a crutch. Guess what, he was right, I can never thank that guy enough!!!
Old 08-06-2019, 11:02 AM

Default great stuff

Great perspective. I've only ever been lead guitar for a band, and am going to do a few solo gigs. I do have a vocal harmonizer but don't like it too much. I need simplicity and I'm having fun figuring out how to do things on the acoustic in such a way that it makes up for no electric. Working on "What's your name?" by Skynyrd now ... phew! I got it though!

I do need a better guitar though...one that plays KIND OF like an electric. I think someone mentioned
the yamaha, so it's time to spend a little money!

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-09-2019 at 03:14 AM. Reason: Inappropriate language
Old 08-06-2019, 12:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotwired View Post
Great perspective. I've only ever been lead guitar for a band, and I'm 53 and am going to do a few solo gigs. I do have a vocal harmonizer but don't like it too much. I need simplicity and I'm having fun figuring out how to do things on the acoustic in such a way that it makes up for no electric. Working on "What's your name?" by Skynyrd now ... phew! I got it though!

I do need a better guitar though...one that plays KIND OF like an electric. I think someone mentioned
the yamaha, so it's time to spend a little money!
Here's a link to the Yamaha aex500 I use. They pop up every now and then.

https://reverb.com/item/26429402-yam...-2000-sunburst

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-09-2019 at 03:15 AM. Reason: Edited quote
Old 08-07-2019, 07:02 AM

Default Ymaha

Thanks for the link! How do you like it all in all? Is it superior to the typical other "hybrids"? I say "hybrid" to describe those many semi hollow body acoustics with the cutaways (like Ovation, etc.) -- It looks like what separates this one from the herd is that it has a Fishman as well as a typical electric guitar pickup/humbucker.
Old 08-07-2019, 09:47 AM
Charter Member

I like it because of 2 reasons, first it plays great, I love the neck. Second the ability to blend the mini humbucker w the Yamaha (not Fishman) piezo. The piezo is thin and quacky, but the 3 band eq and mini humbucker blended warm it up.

It is definitely NOT superior to a Taylor T5, but is 1/4 of the price. Like I said it plays great, and can sound good.

Hope this helps.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:10 PM

I usually bring and acoustic and an electric for me to gigs. It is quite a bit to set up and take down (PA system, pedals, amp, etc.) but the two guitars keeps me interested in the songs I sing.

I might play a song one gig with the acoustic, then the next try it on an electric with some effects applied. I'm trying not to stay comfortable in my music.
Old 08-07-2019, 12:54 PM

Default Taylor

I wasn't even aware of the T5 until you mentioned it ... now I'm drooling!

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-09-2019 at 03:11 AM. Reason: Please refrain from profanity
Old 08-07-2019, 06:56 PM

Default Carvin/Kiesel, the ultimate hybrids!

Or if you're really ambitious and also want synth access...

You can even add a Bigsby to your custom order!

Fender RK Tele
Godin ACS SA, 5th Ave
Gretsch G7593, G9240
Martin JC-16ME Aura, J12-16GT, 000C Nylon
Ovation:
Adamas U681T, Elite 5868, Elite DS778TX, Elite Collectors '98
Custom Legend, Legend LX 12 string, Balladeer, Classical
Parker MIDIfly, P10E
Steinberger Synapse
Taylor 320, NS34
Yamaha SA503
Old 08-09-2019, 03:09 AM

A few year's ago I went to see Hugh Laurie touring with a jazz band. He was supported by a guy called Bruno Major who did an exceptional set with solo electric guitar. Plenty of YouTube videos from Bruno.......
Old 08-09-2019, 03:45 AM

In many ways you get to hear the tone of the instrument given it's not competing with drums in particular.

I'm a fan!
Old 08-30-2019, 05:01 AM

Default AEX500

@jricc
I like the idea of the Yamaha. I've seen some used ones out there between 500-800. I WISH I could find something similar with a sound hole...I do alot of "friends and family campfire stuff" too, but I have regular acoustic for that. Do you go back and forth in your daily life with regular acoustic guitar? And do you find there are some things you can't pull off that you can with the AEX?

So just the Yamaha, Xoom, and PA? Your comment on the "down on the corner" sound struck home. That's a great sound ... like ES335 type sound?? Nice and chunky and substantial but able to pull off some decent licks?

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars