The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-01-2014, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelBT View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixfir View Post
Even Tommy's Matons when you hear them unplugged in his hotel room or backstage on some youtube videos, sound pretty thin in my opinion

So you're evaluating a guitar based on a recording made with an iphone?

Matons main market in Australia is the heavily gigging musician, who is first and foremost after a roadworthy and durable acoustic with a good plugged-in sound.

I recently tried out two ~$3K OM guitars. A Breedlove and a Larrivee. Both played brilliantly, and sounded amazing unplugged but plugged in, neither came close to a $1400 maton with AP5pro.

I tried 4 Maton and all sounded thin to my ears, I've also been looking bunches of videos on YT with guys playing Maton, as I wanted to get one at that time. Some of them were very well recorded, and when I mention TE in his hotel room it was not recorded with an Iphone. I could also mention one of his version of Waltzing Matilda recorded with the Apogee internal Mic, or even some of his songs recorded unplugged with recording mics. I also noticed as said before that he often put his mic more or less in axis of the soundhole (a way to increase the maybe lacking bass?). It's not about brand bashing, I just noticed that all of them had that special and thin sound (unplugged) that I understand some may like. The purpose of this topic was to question if this special sound has to do with its "overbuilt" braces and so on.

Furch OM 32 SM
Cordoba Maple Fusion 14
Jackson US Soloist
Esp Horizon NT-2
Old 09-02-2014, 05:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sixfir View Post
So are the specifications needed for a good electrified acoustic, incompatible with a good acoustic sound? Some says that a rich acoustic sound make it difficult for the preamp system to handle it, so what is needed for a good amplified sound is not what is needed for a good acoustic sound, any opinion about that?
Simple way to test your theory: go to a large guitar store with lots of inexpensive, over-braced, thickly finished, lousy sounding acoustic guitars with pickups and plug them into an amp. If they all sound great you have your answer.

Also, you haven't really taken into consideration here Maton's AP5 pickup system, which may contribute in a big way to the quality of the plugged in sound.

Quote:
I also noticed as said before that he often put his mic more or less in axis of the soundhole (a way to increase the maybe lacking bass?).
No, the view is misleading and is a common acoustic video phenomenon that comes from trying to get the camera to see around the mics. Tommy's mics are not lined up with the sound hole but more towards the upper bout and a bit away from the guitar (because of the power of his playing and his wide range of dynamics, close mic recording is probably a bit hard to control). Also, it is worth noting that he seems to use this same placement irregardless of what brand guitar he is playing. So it is not a special, bass-boosting Maton setup.

2014 Pono N30 DC EIR/Spruce crossover
2009 Pono koa parlor (NAMM prototype)
2018 Maton EBG808TEC
2014 Hatcher Greta 13 fret cutaway in EIR/cedar
2017 Hatcher Josie fan fret mahogany
1973 Sigma GCR7 (OM model) rosewood and spruce
2014 Rainsong OM1000N2
....and about 5 really nice tenor ukuleles at any given moment

Last edited by ukejon; 09-02-2014 at 06:38 AM.
Old 01-21-2015, 05:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukejon View Post
Here he is on a custom David Taylor guitar. Lovely tune that is worth learning:

And here he is on a guitar given to him by Jean Larivee:

On a guitar by Andrei Kibin from Belarus:

On a Takamine that belongs to a fan:

On a Guild that belongs to a fan:

Finally, his beloved 1934 Gibson Kalamazoo:

Didn't care for the sound of the Takamine.

Loved the sound of the David Taylor guitar.

And loved the sound of Tommy playing this Maton:

Seagull CW w/Baggs M1 pickup...National Vintage Steel Tricone...SWR California Blonde Amp

Last edited by Gypsyblue; 01-21-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 01-22-2015, 10:09 AM

Totally agree with afoll.

I recently bought an EBG808 on a trip to Melbourne (never made it to the factory sadly). I use it as my main gigging guitar as it is small, light, doesn't cost the earth, easy to play, sounds great and has great electronics which allow for simple sound manipulation from the guitar. All round good egg of a gig guitar.

As I find it so easy to play I recently sought to try it out at a recording session. However, it didn't take long for the engineer (after various mic placements) to tell me to put it away and get out the Martin D-35.

Horses for courses.
Old 01-22-2015, 02:07 PM

One of my friends rather large collection of guitars includes a Maton (not sure of the model). When ever I go to his place it's the guitar he has out ready for me to play while he strums along on his Gilet. Acoustically you can certainly hear the difference between the 2, but that may also come down to my limited experience playing guitar versus his vast experience. I must say though, I find the neck on the Maton a joy to play.

I really wanted to buy an Australian guitar when I was on my search, but i settled with a Taylor. Cole Clark and Maton were both on the list, but electronics did not come into the equation as I rarely plug in. To my ears my Taylor sounded the best of the bunch.
Old 08-26-2015, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennisson View Post
Totally agree with afoll.

I recently bought an EBG808 on a trip to Melbourne (never made it to the factory sadly). I use it as my main gigging guitar as it is small, light, doesn't cost the earth, easy to play, sounds great and has great electronics which allow for simple sound manipulation from the guitar. All round good egg of a gig guitar.

As I find it so easy to play I recently sought to try it out at a recording session. However, it didn't take long for the engineer (after various mic placements) to tell me to put it away and get out the Martin D-35.

Horses for courses.
Very nicely put! You should trademark that most excellent post and license it to everyone thinking about posting on any internet thread that's titled "Maton vs Martin", as you summed it up in a nutshell.
FWIW, I'm a neutral: I recently bought an EGB808 for gigs, and it's the best sounding small-sized guitar I've ever bashed through a PA; but I would also choose the Martin in the studio. (At home I use a L'Arrive dreadnought for recording).
Old 07-28-2019, 11:50 AM

Oh poor Tommy..

That must be a pain to have such a gf

Quote:
Originally Posted by CyberFerret View Post
Well, now you are armed with a huge list to search on Youtube.... go ahead. You may be surprised!

To the OP - Yes, generally Maton guitars are considered to be built fairly strong, and I believe they have slightly thicker braces and tops/sides etc. That does lead to a slightly stiffer sound, but hey, some people like that.

I've also played a few Maton that have been played hard, and they sound a lot less stiff than a brand new one. I have a Maton ECW80C which I love.

To give you an indication about how tough these guitars are - There is a well known Maton story about a guy who had an argument with his girlfriend, and she grabbed his Maton and swung ot overhead and hit him with it. Knocked him out and broke his collarbone, but the guitar didn't suffer any damage at all.

Same girlfriend a few weeks prior had thrown the same guitar (in it's case) out the 3rd floor window during an argument and it landed on the concrete below just missing some people dining in a cafe at ground level.

When the guy went to retrieve the guitar, it was undamaged in the case and only needed one string retuned. THAT is what is meant by 'overbuilt'...
Old 07-28-2019, 12:33 PM
Charter Member

I have an EBG808TE custom. Was my only guitar for 9 years. Fantastic guitar, but the secret is in the APMic. Unplugged it sounds much more subdued than other acoustics, but plugged in it has the best sound I've ever used.
- Journey Instruments OF882CN Koa
- Lazy River Weissenborn

Last edited by Kerbie; 07-28-2019 at 12:36 PM. Reason: Removed prohibted information.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion