The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-23-2012, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by architype View Post
I think Alvarez Yairi guitars are a well kept secret. They are well made and durable guitars and every one I've ever played has had very good tone. The standard Yairi has laminate back and sides and the Masterworks series are all solid wood. You can pick up a lightly used standard Yairi for under $500.00.
I bought mine new and it has been solid as a rock. I haven't babied it other than wiping it down after playing and keeping it in it's case. It has seen plenty of drunken camping singalongs and it is still going strong.
Both of my go to guitars are Alvarez, one 6 string, one 12. Both are vintage 70's both blow all others guitars I've owned out of the water. Yamaha, Recording King, Oscar Schmidt, Hohner, Bentley, Epiphone, Ibanez, Aria, DiVinci, Bruno Ventura, and Kay. Second on my list would be the Yamaha.
I realize many named are not high end guitars, but all fall pretty much into the same price range of $200-300. The Vintage are best deals.

Dan
Old 11-23-2012, 06:34 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruger9 View Post
Revival makes some really good guitars, altho they are tough to find. Specifically, their RG-26 & RG-27 all-solid dreads. Fit & finish nicer than Silver Creek... I'd say more in the Blueridge camp.
I agree! Played a Revival RG-27 at a local shop and thought it was a very nice guitar for the money.
Old 11-23-2012, 08:27 PM

"best kept secrets" are by definition "secret".
Old 11-23-2012, 09:27 PM

Sadao Yairi and all the variations on his name and his various labels, 1932-80s. But judging from eBay, I think folks are starting to catch on. So, not exactly a secret any more.

There are new guitars made under the name SYairi, but the luthier himself passed in 1989 (or thereabouts), and I understand these "revivals" are nowhere near the same. Haven't had a chance to try any, however.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 11-23-2012, 09:28 PM
Charter Member

Not exactly a secret or anything, but ANY of the old F series Guilds are wonderful guitars... they may need a neck reset, but they are fabulous feeling/playing instruments!

A lot of folks know about the F-50, the big maple jumbo that (among others) Pat Metheny made fairly recognizable, but the F-40, F-30 are fantastic, as well... I think Guild even made an F-20, back in the day...

As far as vintage instruments go, old Guilds can be a good buy...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 11-23-2012, 10:58 PM

Guild is not unknown but I think in view of Taylor, Martin, and Gibson, et al.. they've lost their seat in the prominence they experienced in the 70's and 80's (probably before).

Martin 00-28
Cordoba C9
Yairi FY70CE
KoAloha Tenor Ukulele
KALA Tenor
Old 11-23-2012, 10:58 PM
Charter Member

I don't know about 'secret', but Seagulls and others by the Godin family of Quebec are really very nice guitars.

Steve
Old 11-26-2012, 03:01 AM

Getting harder and harder to find...pre '66 Goya/Levin Xbraced flat tops are pretty much my go to low price 'secret'. $6-800 range. I've owned and sold quite a few to have now become a Gibson/Martin snob, but still have a touch of regret for letting my old '58 LM26 get away. Idiot!
Old 11-26-2012, 03:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roselynne View Post
Sadao Yairi and all the variations on his name and his various labels, 1932-80s. But judging from eBay, I think folks are starting to catch on. So, not exactly a secret any more.

There are new guitars made under the name SYairi, but the luthier himself passed in 1989 (or thereabouts), and I understand these "revivals" are nowhere near the same. Haven't had a chance to try any, however.
From what I gather, the original S Yairi left the Suzuki violin factory in Fukushima in 1932 to make violins under his own name...may have branched into guitars...but the two younger Yairis Sada[o] and Kazuo, who is still alive and kicking...are better known for their guitars. Not easy getting reliable info on the entire Yairi guitar building clan, even here in Japan, lots of stuff written but very little from the family themselves...at least as far as I know, they`ve been at it a long time and there may be books/interviews I`m not aware of published over the decades. I get my wife to translate bits for me when the web sites that specialize in that don`t come up very clearly...and thats often in my experience...but she has zero interest in guitars so I tread lightly when I ask for that particular favor.
I have some catalogues...well, two page flyers actually...with the current high end S. Yairi line...the ones I see in local shops are not MIJ nor described as high end. Might be able to see the best of the newer S. Yairis in Tokyo but I don`t live there, I`m up north in the boonies.
Old 11-26-2012, 04:44 AM

Per my recent NGD thread (best-kept secret in European luthiery, etc), I'm blown away my Rozawood Wizard B:

I'm also a big fan of John McQuarrie at Northwood, who made me the best-sounding guitar I've ever played, let alone owned. It was a sitka over old-growth Braz mini-jumbo custom, and it killed me to part with it over a neck-profile problem that was seriously impacting an old hand injury. Despite the problem, I still miss that guitar:

'Nuff said.

Last edited by Scholar; 11-26-2012 at 05:00 AM. Reason: I'm old and I make typo's.
Old 11-26-2012, 09:52 AM

I second the Brook and Schertler choice. Seen a few lovely Brooks and I have a Schertler which was a bit tight at first but has opened up very nicely now.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
From what I gather, the original S Yairi left the Suzuki violin factory in Fukushima in 1932 to make violins under his own name...may have branched into guitars...but the two younger Yairis Sada[o] and Kazuo, who is still alive and kicking...are better known for their guitars. Not easy getting reliable info on the entire Yairi guitar building clan, even here in Japan, lots of stuff written but very little from the family themselves...at least as far as I know, they`ve been at it a long time and there may be books/interviews I`m not aware of published over the decades. I get my wife to translate bits for me when the web sites that specialize in that don`t come up very clearly...and thats often in my experience...but she has zero interest in guitars so I tread lightly when I ask for that particular favor.
I have some catalogues...well, two page flyers actually...with the current high end S. Yairi line...the ones I see in local shops are not MIJ nor described as high end. Might be able to see the best of the newer S. Yairis in Tokyo but I don`t live there, I`m up north in the boonies.
I confess ... for me, the family mysteries are part of the charm. Still, I was sold on my first Yairi from that first chord, before I even knew the name. The sound is ... special. Scales, with feeling!

So much conflicting info out there. If I understand correctly, Sadao's son started a low-end "revival" line abroad, in China(?), shortly after his father's passing. But the newest, higher-end models are once again MIJ.
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 11-26-2012, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveyo View Post
Larrivees for sure
Dave
A big +1 to this. Let's just keep it between us.
Martin CEO-7
Custom Huss and Dalton DS 12 fret
Cole-Clark FL3AC
American standard strat
Old 11-26-2012, 03:26 PM
Charter Member

Santa Cruz FS
Huss & Dalton CM
David Webber OOO
Old 11-26-2012, 04:31 PM

Wechter TO (triple-O) series. All solid woods, bone nut/saddle for less than $1k.

8418... Solid spruce/mahogany
8428... Solid spruce/rosewood/herringbone

I have the 8418 and it's fantastic.

I just got a new Guild F-130R (GAD series) that's excellent. Superb quality solid spruce top and solid rosewood sides/back. Excellent workmanship. Again, less than $1k.

BTW, love Avalons but just can't afford one.
2010 Trinity College TM375 Irish Bouzouki
2011 Guild F-130R (recently traded for GS Mini hog)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion