The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-11-2011, 07:57 PM

Default Lesser known Gems and best kept secrets

Not a lot of people know about Stonebridge for example. When used ones come up they often go for cheap. Ive seen them in for sale forums either here or at ubrgf ...I think one was a D22CM(??) for like $1200 and it didn't sell.

Some of us know about the old Stanford Performers. I bet it would be hard to get decent $ for a used one of them too. Well..that and the Asian made thing..which is less and less of an "issue" these days.

Most guitarists though will not have heard of those brands or even Blueridge, Eastman, RK etc. I mean..they are not unheard of but I'd wager that I could gather 10 random guitarists in this small Canadian town and NONE of them will have heard of ANY of those brands. Martin, Taylor, Gibson, Guild, Fender, Takamine, Seagull..even Washburn are household words even up here. Some perhaps lesser known brands in other places are quite common in these parts ..like the other Godins ie: S&P, A&L and of course Larrivee.

So, other than like say Stanford Performers..or the higher end but almost equally unknown Stonebridges, there must be other awesome gems out there that are relatively unknown and don't demand high used prices?

Let's hear about them.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:20 PM

I think Alvarez Yairi guitars are a well kept secret. They are well made and durable guitars and every one I've ever played has had very good tone. The standard Yairi has laminate back and sides and the Masterworks series are all solid wood. You can pick up a lightly used standard Yairi for under $500.00.
I bought mine new and it has been solid as a rock. I haven't babied it other than wiping it down after playing and keeping it in it's case. It has seen plenty of drunken camping singalongs and it is still going strong.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:30 PM

Crafter are unknown to a lot of people but they produce great guitars. Really a lesser known gem. all the people who have them are amazing how great it is for the price....

also silvercreeks are great too, but a lot of people know it here.
Old 09-11-2011, 10:41 PM

New Recording Kings are very underrated. Buy one and have a pro setup done, you're not going to get a better acoustic for the dollar.

Charvel made some very inexpensive Strat type electrics in Japan that were VERY underrated and still to this day, you can find them dirt cheap. The electronics are SSH so you can upgrade them with a prewired pick guard, but the necks are just unreal. Vigier-like.

Guild D50/D55's are seriously under-appreciated.

LaPatrie Classicals are starting to get some recognition since various music schools have taken to recommending them, but that's about as good as you're going to get in an entry level classical.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:10 AM

Sorry...I can`t tell yas...wouldn`t be much of a secret if I did now would it.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:19 AM

For me Eastman and Stonebridge were the hidden gems, but obviously they're not so hidden these days..
The Pickers 43' Gibson LG-2, 09' Furch OM 32SM (custom) , 02' Martin J-40
The Beater 99' Cort Earth 100
What we do on weekends:
http://www.reverbnation.com/doubleshotprague
Old 09-12-2011, 04:11 AM

Brook guitars from the UK are top-notch. They cost around the same as a 28 series Martin here, but are completely and individually hand built in a small shop in the South of England. Quality is comparable to Santa Cruz, Collings etc. and they have a really unique, lively, modern voice. Relatively well-known in the UK, I suspect not many have made it across the pond. Try one if you ever get the opportunity!

Also, the Schertler guitars can be fantastic instruments (the quality has varied a bit on the ones I've tried). Add up the cost of the pickup (a dual Scherter Dyn-G and Bluestick) and the Schertler-designed tuners (which are finding favour with many US custom builders), and you almost get a fine, all solid wood guitar thrown in for free. They sound very unique, with a sweet mid-range, and are great plugged in.

Baranik Meridian "Aurora" fan-fret - Celebes ebony / Colorado blue spruce
Tom Sands Model L fan-fret - Macassar ebony / European spruce
Hamblin GC - Macassar ebony / Italian spruce
Kronbauer SMB - Macassar ebony / Engelmann spruce
Baranik JX - Indian rosewood / German spruce
Sheppard GA - African blackwood / Bosnian spruce
Collings OM1
CA Cargo Raw | Ele
Old 09-12-2011, 04:33 AM

Revival makes some really good guitars, altho they are tough to find. Specifically, their RG-26 & RG-27 all-solid dreads. Fit & finish nicer than Silver Creek... I'd say more in the Blueridge camp.
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn
Old 09-12-2011, 05:11 AM

Lakewood from Germany
Avalon and McIlroy from Ireland
Northwood from Canada

David
Páirc Thoir Thuaidh

Old 09-12-2011, 07:53 AM

Recently bought a Walden Concorda CO2000. I'd say it was inexpensive, but that really depends, now, doesn't it. Not so inexpensive for me, but within my budget.

For solid rosewood, OM sized, spruce top it is a very nice guitar. And the Concorda are, I believe, higher end for Walden. Took a good look at a less expensive model, and, whereas it was an excellent guitar, the Concorda really whet my whistle...

Larrivee Forum I OM-03 #3 of 17
Martin JC16WE
Recording King ROS-06
Recording King RK-R20 Banjo
Home Built Mountain Banjo
Old 09-12-2011, 08:22 AM

You know, you guys are going to drive up the price of some guitars which are now considered bargains.
Old 09-12-2011, 08:31 AM

Larrivees for sure
Dave
Old 09-12-2011, 02:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrDavid View Post
Avalon and McIlroy from Ireland

I can not say enough about Avalon guitars! They are not just guitars!!! they are soul mates! I have been playing serious for 24 years now, and have had them all! from Gibson to Martins, and the day I found my Avalon felt like I finally found "my" guitar! I still have it, and it's my number 1! I pick it up at home, and I gig with it! Just did an outdoor wedding with it on Saturday! was simply a joy with my fishstick. I played acoustic instrumental while they all waited for the wedding party to arrive, then played Trains "marry me" while they walked to the alter, and sam cookes "you send me" after they kissed and while they made their gettaway! was very cool! My Avalon is an A12 Legacy. You can talk to the boys in the shop over on their website. Super friendly. you will see me over there once in a while under this same screen name.

Old 09-12-2011, 03:14 PM

There are a number of these that I'd love to try out, but that don't have dealers here in San Antonio. Former dealer for Larrivee and Wechter (and a couple of other brands) isn't carrying them now...Eastman and Recording King dealers don't carry a wide range of models. Haven't seen but one or two Blueridges, period. Martin, Taylor, Collings, Santa Cruz, Gibson, and most of the lower price big names, no problem. Tanglewood, Breedlove, Bedell, pretty much OK selection. But a lot of the recommended "high quality/low price" items seem to be conspicuous by their absence.

Oh...and forget Avalon (and its predecessor Lowden). They just aren't around brick and mortars here. And I'd LOVE to play something in their realm! Your Avalon is GORGEOUS, lewddude!

Dirk

Last edited by dirkronk; 09-12-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 09-12-2011, 03:39 PM

Man, those Avalons look nice! To bad not in USA. (well, ALMOST not available here)
2023 Traveler Redlands Spruce Concert

"Just play today. The rest will work itself out." - Bob from Brooklyn

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion