The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 09-12-2007, 08:13 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Default Yamaha FG 300 Pictures, long post

I guess you can guess how I feel about Yamahas! I love the old ones and have a few classics. Today let’s talk about the Red Label FG 300.

A sub (generally) 1k guitar. Mine is a 1970, laminated layers of Jacaranda back and sides,

Mahogany neck, Abalone overlay YAMAHA on headstock,

fantastic tuners (stamped or cut metal) and a bridge that adjusts for each string.

Production was from 68-76. From what I understand there are Indian Rosewood versions of the 300 also. But I haven't seen one.

I have contacted Yamaha about a common problem. Unfortunately there is no apparent appreciation for their product or history. So they were nice but of no help. They ought to hire me, Id do the job with passion

There is an incompatibility with the adhesive and the pick guard. They work against one another and warp over the years. I followed FG300's through over 100 auctions over a year on eBay and well over 60% had warped Pick Guards. Why some do and some don't I don't know for sure. I tried a theory of localse. Like oceans near by, hot areas, cold areas. But that didn't gel. My guess is the newer ones had fewer problems. But that is purely a guess. Some get nasty bubbles and cracks others (like mine) just warp. When I got mine I took it to a Luthier. He removed it, flattened and re-attached it. Over a 3 month period the bugger curled again!!!! I'm thinking of having a batch of duplicates made. Suggestions on a pick guard manufacturer would be great. I don't think I would have a problem moving 100 of them. I don't see Yamaha caring. If they do I guess I'll find out.
The sound that comes out of the 300 isn't what I heard out of the Brazilian Authentic D28 I just wrote about. But considering this one doesn't cost what the tax would be on the Martin, we aren't in the same park. That being said, the sound is brilliant and clear. Great Bass and Treble. She rings a long time. Out of over a dozen acoustics I own, my teacher, a 25 year + pro musician said this is his favorite and if I ever sell it’s already sold.

From what I have gathered. Please correct me if I am wrong. My historian label on my forehead says "wide learning curve ahead" in the fine print. Anyway, that being said, in 1977 all but the handmade division of Yamaha production moved from Japan to Taiwan. The 300 turned into the FG350W, or a 350E if it had a pickup. I have a 350W.

Same size body and neck. The same pick guard, this one is darker, and flat (it's the right one but there are signs it may not be the orig.)! Larger cast knobbed tuners (still great at holding tune). The Headstock went to a screened "YAMAHA" printing.

The neck is solid Mahogany and the body now a dark stained layered (laminate) Indian Rosewood. The Bridge on the 300 had a rep for being fussy so the bridge on the 350 went to a simpler adjustable one piece saddle. I've had buzzing issues with the 350 that I think if I find the right luthier I can have this one sounding as good as "Dad".
That’s...the rest of the story. If you have corrections or more to add, please do!

Next write up will be about the Japan market only N500. Heavy, great guitar.

Last edited by Kitchen Guitars; 09-07-2016 at 05:41 AM. Reason: Correction
Old 09-13-2007, 12:15 AM

Great post, Junkie....and great pics of your Yammies.
Quite an interesting read.

On a slightly side note...did u see the Ebay auction at the moment where some guy is selling his whole Yamaha acoustic collection - 55 guitars in total!!
And being sold as the one lot..!! Yikes...you'd wanna be REALLY keen on them...

Rod

Maton EBG808 Bluegrass
Goodall RP-14 Parlor
Martin CEO-7
Milton Thorne Parlour
'Wayne' Australian made Resonator
Fender 1992 Strat
Old 09-15-2007, 07:55 AM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by rroodd View Post
Great post, Junkie....and great pics of your Yammies.
Quite an interesting read.

On a slightly side note...did u see the Ebay auction at the moment where some guy is selling his whole Yamaha acoustic collection - 55 guitars in total!!
And being sold as the one lot..!! Yikes...you'd wanna be REALLY keen on them...

Rod
I couldn't find the auction
Old 09-23-2008, 04:58 PM

Default FG300 v FG350W

Nice pics and info on the FG300 and FG350W. I am considering picking one of these up, but I am not sure which one I want to go after. Since you own both of them, which one do you like best? Do they sound the same, or does one sound better than the other? I have played the FG350W many years ago, and I really liked it, but some people seem to think that the FG300 is better. What say you? Thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 05:56 PM
Formerly Yamaha Junkie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Excaliber View Post
Nice pics and info on the FG300 and FG350W. I am considering picking one of these up, but I am not sure which one I want to go after. Since you own both of them, which one do you like best? Do they sound the same, or does one sound better than the other? I have played the FG350W many years ago, and I really liked it, but some people seem to think that the FG300 is better. What say you? Thanks.
They are 2 differen't animals. The 350w is a deeper voiced like a Gibson AJ (I still have my 350w, I sold the AJ ) . A great strummer, strong voiced. The FG 300 is like Honey. Some corrections as I grow as a collector. The 300 is Jacaranda, not Brazilian. There is a difference. The Inlay I mentioned is actually an overlay. Just wanted to correct old info. My FG300 you cannot bear down on. But, fingerstyle? On a stranded Island, it would be my one guitar out of the whole collection. She has tones (not the loud voice) Collings would kill for
Old 09-23-2008, 07:53 PM

Thumbs up Yamaha FG 630 12 string

Hey Yamaha junkie,
Love the pics, they are just beautiful! I just got off of craigslist (Brunswick Ga.) and there is a fellow there selling a 1978 FG 630 12 string that has never been used. He said he bought it while in the service in Japan, and it has been in it's case ever since. Looks real nice, and I thought you might be interested as you are the Yamy guy. Just a heads-up.
Have a nice evening.
John (valky guy)
Old 09-23-2008, 08:35 PM

I have owned a couple of yammies over the years and was pleased as punch with them when I had them. You couldnt beat the price at the time. Most of them were given to missionaries in South America when I made trips down there, and I hope they are still being used.

I have seen people be similarly impressed with the lesser costing epiphones as well. I have a 12 string epi that I just cant seem to get rid of for what ever reason. I dont play it often, but when I do it is always a 3 hour session of songs made for the 12 string. One day I will change out the bridge on it for one with a solid bone saddle instead of the adjustable metal one.

Now I am stuck with a growing collection of guitars that I have built myself. Some are experimental guitars, some were just duds that I didnt want to sell but were too good to destroy. Maybe one day I'll have a garage sale and get rid of them.

Thanks for sharing the pictures!

Ken Hodges
Old 09-23-2008, 08:41 PM

When I bought my FG180 in 1969 the FG300 was an unattainable dream; I have yet to play one.

_________

Yamaha LL26
Yamaha LL6
Larrivee L-03SP
Old 09-23-2008, 09:29 PM

That's a gorgeous guitar and it's a shame its pickguard warped because it is awesome too.

www.davidgreen.bandcamp.com
Old 09-24-2008, 02:23 AM

Thanks YJ for the post and pics. Love all that Yamaha history.
Cool guitars. That "fussy" bridge is the only ugly thing on the guitar.
Be great to hear them
Old 09-24-2008, 05:55 AM

Thumbs up Fg 630

Yamaha Junkie,
Hope this helps.
This is the e-mail for his listing, [email protected], and he is in Brunswick Georgia.
Good luck.
John (valky guy)
Old 09-24-2008, 06:05 AM

Thumbs up FG 630 (more info)

Yamaha Junkie,
Sorry for not giving you this info earlier. http://brunswick.craigslist.org/msg/803766758.html
Hope this helps
John (valky guy)
Old 09-24-2008, 06:25 AM

Location: Though a bred, born, and imprinted Texan, I live in the sw corner of Southern Mississippi.

Thanks for a great post. I, too, like Yamahas but since I am most impressed with the amount of music that can come from each "guitar-dollar", I particularly like my 1972 Gakki FG-140.

In 1972, I was tasked by a fellow with a lot of physical problems in finding him the best dollar-for-dollar guitar. I played many and chose this Yamaha.

He was thrilled with it and learned to play it rather well. He could not stand and play it though he kept buying guitar straps. (Wishful thinking, or denial...not sure which.)

He also wanted to play a concert...standing...some day.

He died early 2004 and I learned that he had willed his Yamaha to me. It came with the straps and his fantasy concert song list...it even had an encore. The guitar was in bad shape.

I rebuilt it and later that year, I performed with it (standing) using one of his new (1972) neckstraps. I did his encore.

Isn't it strange how guitars can get caught up in our lives and weave themselves in and out and bind us to others?

Ken C. (I babble...sorry.)
Gibson J-45 Rosewood
Gibson J-50 Mahogany
G-40 Maccaferri arch top (3 ea.)
Kay Catalina arch top w/DeArmond floating p.u.
Harmony arch top
Silvertone (Kay) flat top
Framus 12-string
Harmony tenor arch top
Gakki Yamaha FG-140
DeArmond arch top
And 14 misc.ukes.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:42 AM

Junkie - if you are saying that BY 1977 all but
a handmade division was moved to Taiwan
that is likely to be true. There were plenty of
FGs made in Taiwan going back to at least 1973.
There are those "parts made in Taiwan, assembled
in Japan" guitars from around 74-75.
And I have a Yamaha that was handmade in Taiwan
in 1981. So there is are lots of gray area.
Old 01-01-2009, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaha Junkie View Post
They are 2 differen't animals. The 350w is a deeper voiced like a Gibson AJ (I still have my 350w, I sold the AJ ) . A great strummer, strong voiced. The FG 300 is like Honey. Some corrections as I grow as a collector. The 300 is Jacaranda, not Brazilian. There is a difference. The Inlay I mentioned is actually an overlay. Just wanted to correct old info. My FG300 you cannot bear down on. But, fingerstyle? On a stranded Island, it would be my one guitar out of the whole collection. She has tones (not the loud voice) Collings would kill for
Allright, new guy here. This may be the wrong place to post this, so if someone could clue me in as to a better place, I would appreciate it. I have read dozens of web posts on FG 300s. And like many of them, mine has a warped (and now crumbled) pick guard. All that remains is a sticky spot where the pick guard used to be. I love this guitar and have been playing it for 25+ years. It has 2 pickups in it and sounds wonderful when used as a stereo output, one straight and one slightly chorused. I recorded with it for many years without a PG, but intend to use it to play out live beginning this spring/summer...but it is soooo ugly without the pick guard. Can anyone give me a clue as to how to acquire a substitute that will cover the ugly spot? Also, someone tried to glue it back on (probably just before I bought it). Does anyone know what would be the best way to remove the sticky glue to properly prepare it for a new PG. ANY suggestions are greatly appreciated.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion