The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 08-11-2019, 05:45 AM
Charter Member

Default NTD - New Trailer Day...

I've long had a love/hate relationship with motorcycles. However, I've also held a long term love relationship with sports cars despite having owned only a couple. Last December, I took ownership of a 2010 Mazda MX5 (Miata) with the notion that it would serve as a fun car (I also own a Honda CRV) and possible fun touring vehicle - think of it as more practical version of a touring motorcycle.

I know, "practical" and two seat convertible would appear to be oxymoronic, but that's just the way my mind works. Anyhow, I purchased a small motorcycle cargo trailer several months ago with the idea that I'd paint it and make it a touring companion for the MX5. I haven't christened it with its maiden voyage yet, but I had a trailer hitch installed on the MX5 the other day, and we're ready to go. Plan to put camping gear in the trailer and head to the beach after Labor Day. Yippeeee.....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 11-20-2021 at 07:08 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:02 AM

Make sure the brakes are in good shape and pay attention to weight distribution when loading the trailer (About 10% of load on the hitch). Its hardly a sports car when loaded so be aware of the limits of speed/cornering/braking performance.

With the above in mind, it looks like a fun time is in your future! Oh yeah, figure out where to carry the guitar----maybe get a "beater".

Fog
Old 08-11-2019, 06:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fogducker View Post
Make sure the brakes are in good shape and pay attention to weight distribution when loading the trailer (About 10% of load on the hitch). Its hardly a sports car when loaded so be aware of the limits of speed/cornering/braking performance.

With the above in mind, it looks like a fun time is in your future! Oh yeah, figure out where to carry the guitar----maybe get a "beater".

Fog
Thanks for the suggestions. My plan is to carry a tent, sleeping bag and several other camping items in the trailer which is a lightweight model designed to be pulled by a motorcycle. My Rainsong Ch-OM1100 in a gig bag fits nicely in the passenger seat....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-11-2019 at 06:25 AM.
Old 08-11-2019, 06:13 AM
Charter Member

Very nice, and very practical!!!

When I graduated college back in the 80s a friend and I traveled cross country in a 280Z. It was a blast but It would have made things a bit more ...comfortable and convenient to have a similar set up.

Safe Travels
Rainsong H-WS1000N2T
Stonebridge OM33-SR DB
Stonebridge D22-SRA
Tacoma Papoose
Voyage Air VAD-2
1980 Fender Strat
A few Partscaster Strats
MIC 60s Classic Vib Strat
Old 08-11-2019, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

It needs some flames or maybe matching racing stripes

KevWind at Soundcloud

KevWind at YouYube
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...EZxkPKyieOTgRD

System :
Studio system Avid Carbon interface , PT Ultimate 2023.12 -Mid 2020 iMac 27" 3.8GHz 8-core i7 10th Gen ,, Ventura 13.2.1

Mobile MBP M1 Pro , PT Ultimate 2023.12 Sonoma 14.4
Old 08-11-2019, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

RP,

Let me know when you're passing through Richmond - I'll race ya!

All you need now is a Seasucker bike rack for either the Miata or the trailer and you'll be all set.

Austin

Last edited by pukematrix; 08-14-2019 at 08:34 PM.
Old 08-11-2019, 05:53 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pukematrix View Post
RP,

Let me know when you're passing through Richmond - I'll race ya!

All you need now is a Seasucker bike rack for either the Miata or the trailer and you'll be all set.

Austin
Very cool rig. Opted for a Yakima trunk mount bike rack. Actually I was in Richmond today but not driving the Mazda....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm
Old 08-14-2019, 12:23 PM

Maybe a courtesy resize on the bike?
Old 08-14-2019, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
Thanks for the suggestions. My plan is to carry a tent, sleeping bag and several other camping items in the trailer which is a lightweight model designed to be pulled by a motorcycle. My Rainsong Ch-OM1100 in a gig bag fits nicely in the passenger seat....
That sounds like fun! I love that it matches the color of your roadster. I envy you; I can't entertain the thought of camping without bringing on something inflatable to sleep on!

BTW, back when I was a kid we had a Ford Pinto hatchback. It came with a tent that fit over the open hatch. Man, the 70s were a different time lol!
Old 08-14-2019, 02:52 PM

Congrats! It matches my '06 MX5 also...good taste!

Quote:
I've long had a love/hate relationship with motorcycles. However, I've also held a long term love relationship with sports cars despite having owned only a couple. Last December, I took ownership of a 2010 Mazda MX5 (Miata) with the notion that it would serve as a fun car (I also own a Honda CRV) and possible fun touring vehicle - think of it as more practical version of a touring motorcycle.

I know, "practical" and two seat convertible would appear to be oxymoronic, but that's just the way my mind works. Anyhow, I purchased a small motorcycle cargo trailer several months ago with the idea that I'd paint it and make it a touring companion for the MX5. I haven't christened it with its maiden voyage yet, but I had a trailer hitch installed on the MX5 the other day, and we're ready to go. Plan to put camping gear in the trailer and head to the beach after Labor Day. Yippeeee.....
Old 08-14-2019, 08:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
I love that it matches the color of your roadster....
Thanks for noticing. I purchased several cans of factory liquid silver spray paint along with primer and plastic adhesion spray. I'm not real pleased with the job I did, but I'm going to live with it for a year and then decide whether to repaint or not. It's kind of blotchy, and I'm thinking I didn't shake the can enough to thoroughly combine the ingredients. As a spray painter, I make a half decent guitarist....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 08-14-2019 at 08:42 PM.
Old 08-14-2019, 08:31 PM

Congrats on the Miata - they are great little cars. I’ve had several over the years but finally had too much problem getting in and out due to back issues.

Be sure to check out Miatas at Myrtle Beach next April. It was a real blast back when I attended it.

"Always try to be nice, but never fail to be kind." Twelfth Doctor
Old 08-14-2019, 08:35 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ManyMartinMan View Post
Maybe a courtesy resize on the bike?
Sorry about that if it appeared too large. Didn't show as ginormous on my preview. Still getting the hang of Imgur.
Old 08-14-2019, 10:52 PM

Quote:
Thanks for noticing. I purchased several cans of factory liquid silver spray paint along with primer and plastic adhesion spray. I'm not real pleased with the job I did, but I'm going to live with it for a year and then decide whether to repaint or not. It's kind of blotchy, and I'm thinking I didn't shake the can enough to thoroughly combine the ingredients. As a spray painter, I make a half decent guitarist....
Yeah, I noticed that. Finishing is a repetitive process that either tries your patience or teaches you patience. I’m not much good at it either.
Old 08-15-2019, 07:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil K Walk View Post
Yeah, I noticed that. Finishing is a repetitive process that either tries your patience or teaches you patience. I’m not much good at it either.
I'm pleased with the paint on the fenders - very even. Also, the primer coat over the clamshell was very even so I purchased some aluminum colored primer which looks like a decent match so if/when I repaint, I'll bag the factory paint and just use the aluminum primer...
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic