The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-04-2019, 08:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post

Bob
This is a left turn, i know but i havent seen this poster in 45 years. The album was released on my brthday but the poster was available the year before that. My brother gave it to me saying it reminded him of me. Ill never forget that. Thanks for putting this up Bob. It made my day.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:39 AM
Guitar Gourmet

My pleasure, Chickee. It always gave me a chuckle.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 08-04-2019, 09:01 PM
Charter Member

Long...but broken up for easier digesting...I hope.

I started on a Harmony electric, with 5watt amp, pitch poor, cable, pick and cardboard box to haul it in. It was a “special deal” in the JCPenny catalog and I remember going with my mom to order it. And then the wait...the loonnnggg wait. The guitar was terrible. I knew NOTHING about setups, etc. so learning was challenging to say the least.

I forged ahead as dad taught me chords, melody, etc. his father taught him, and now I’ve taught my oldest son and my daughter. But I digress.

As I progressed I played electric in various situations ranging from church, to bands. By 15 I was writing songs and playing in a band that my best friend and I started. His brother played bass, my best friend was an excellent drummer, and one of other friends played mostly lead. We did this for a few years.

Then life happened, I traded jobs for a career, and got married to my HS sweetheart and we had our first child. I actually stopped playing for nearly 6 years. Literally....not playing any music or even owning a guitar. Looking back it wasn’t wise to step away. I now believe that when the music inside of us stops flowing from within us...well, imho it’s not good.

Nonetheless, I began playing electric again and fell back in love with not only the tones and feel...but also (as others have eluded to) the thrill of the “hunt”.

I then fell in love with various acoustic players and began selling off my electric gear to fund a nice acoustic. A friend turned me onto this forum and the real G.A.S. began! I bought, sold, and traded more guitars than I can recall. And finally moved up to brands such as Taylor, Martin, Langejans, Santa Cruz, Larrivee, Gibson, and on and on.

I played primarily acoustic music for a period of about 10 years. Leading CCM with a larger group for many of those years.

About 6 years ago I moved back to primarily electrics. Owning at least one acoustic during this period. I still lead a large group of folks and play out, and with other friends as time and the opportunities present themselves. But, I use my electric rig in most cases. I’ve also tried to emulate that same rig at home. That way I have similar tones with both rigs, and have a backup pedal, etc if need be.

My electric stable consists of a Strat, a Tele, a Gretsch Jet, and a Gretsch semi hollow. 2 “duplicate boards” with the usual suspects (od, verb, delay, comp, chorus, tuners). A Vox, and a Lacquered Tweed Blues Jr. I sold my 65 TRRI as it was complete overkill in any situation that I was in musically...but it was a great “holy grail” amp that I had to own. At least once.

I’ve been down the pedal and amp rabbit hole and finally feel like I’m getting the “tones in my head” from both rigs.

I still play acoustic and feel it will always be place in my stable. I chart/write on an office Yamaha FS720 in TBS with a JJB 330 (*LOVE this little guitar!), and a 2018 J45 standard with a K&K at home (*another “holy grail” must have).

The journey, like this post, has been a long one. But I honestly have narrowed down my “needs” and feel that I have a handle on what works for me. It took a lot of time, and money, but I feel great knowing that I USE ever piece of gear I own. This includes pedals, amps, etc. if it doesn’t get used consistently it gets moved on.

IMHO there is place for as much gear as a person will USE...but for ME...I don’t want to own things just to say that I own them. In narrowing my focus and refining my stable to match my needs...I’m much happier/satisfied with my gear. My G.A.S. will always be there, but it flares up way less than it used to.

Enjoy the journey. Discover what works for you, and build your stable accordingly.

Last edited by PTony; 08-04-2019 at 09:33 PM.
Old 08-05-2019, 06:20 AM

Decided to purge some gear. I sold my Line 6 Helix Stomp last night, and plan to sell off my Powercab and PRS Tremonti SE as well. I will keep the Marshall Origin for now and figure out what to do with that down the road.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaden View Post
My electric days are over because where I live I can’t turn the volume up even *a bit* due to neighbors close by. An outlay of funds would be required to rent a rehearsal space, and in light of all the other things I have to attend to, it isn’t going to happen.

I’ve protected my hearing from loud noise all my life so my sensitive hearing is a gift, and I’ve found a good quality acoustic guitar provides rich and subtle low volume performance which explains in my mind the overwhelming popular appeal of acoustic over electric gear.
Get a tube soaker to limit the volume. Or, get something like Yamaha THR10 with a headphone jack. I live in a condo and play quite a bit of electric without anyone complaining. I have a tube soaker for my tube amp, and the Yamaha. Both sound good and work fine.
Goodall Grand Concert Cutaway Walnut/Italian Spruce
Santa Cruz Brazilian VJ
Taylor 8 String Baritone
Blueberry - Grand Concert
Magnum Opus J450
Eastman AJ815
Parker PA-24
Babicz Jumbo Identity
Walden G730
Silvercreek T170
Charvell 150 SC
Takimine G406s
Old 08-06-2019, 11:50 PM
Charter Member

Why would you want to "shake that electric thang"?...

I love playing electric guitar, and I don't play all that often these days, but sometimes... man! A great electric through a nice tube amp (I'm a Fender guy, love both the reverb and the vibrato in the old ones) is JUST THE THING!

Maybe consider getting rid of all the "less than" stuff, find an old SF or BF Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb, get ONE great electric that you cherish and love... and make that work?

I certainly "could" go out and chase tone and pedals and nonsense for days, but at this stage of my life, I KNOW what I like to hear and how to get there...

And my '75 Deluxe Reverb paired with my '74 ES-345 is pretty much IT, for me!

and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-07-2019, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post

I love playing electric guitar, and I don't play all that often these days, but sometimes... man! A great electric through a nice tube amp (I'm a Fender guy, love both the reverb and the vibrato in the old ones) is JUST THE THING!

Maybe consider getting rid of all the "less than" stuff, find an old SF or BF Princeton Reverb or a Deluxe Reverb, get ONE great electric that you cherish and love... and make that work?

I certainly "could" go out and chase tone and pedals and nonsense for days, but at this stage of my life, I KNOW what I like to hear and how to get there...

Lovely rig, John, though I'm not sure that's what's traditionally intended when one refers to an amp "stack."
Old 08-07-2019, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisN View Post
Lovely rig, John, though I'm not sure that's what's traditionally intended when one refers to an amp "stack."
Ha! Yeah, not exactly what I'd call a "stack"!

Back when I was stupid and younger and chasing some "sound" (I believe it was that Larry Carlton "mesa Boogie" sound from the 70's, I had a perfectly cherry 1959 Fender Pro amplifier... 1 15", small Fender chassis, made as a pedal steel amp, no reverb, great vibrato and even a prescence control.

In the idiocy of my youth, I traded it in and got that Yamaha GL100-112, enamored by the fetron tube and the actually usable distortion channel...

One of the very few gear choices that I have ever regretted, just because NOW I know what that little Pro amp was and how good it was...

Turns out, the Yamaha is a terrific amp. Bought it 1980, never a gllitch, never a problem... many have told me that it is ne of the few of that design that was really good. It's still a favorite for clean sounds, for jazz... an, amazingly enough, with that silly little Tomsline Bluesey pedal, it really comes alive with touch sensitivity and depth for a little "tube grit" for blues...

I'd probably sell it, but it's old reliable... and my Deluxe Reverb can get a bit touchy from time to time, so it's great to have a back-up. Plus, it's probably not worth but a couple hundred bucks... if things get desperate enough? Who knows!
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 08-07-2019, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Ha! Yeah, not exactly what I'd call a "stack"!

Back when I was stupid and younger and chasing some "sound" (I believe it was that Larry Carlton "mesa Boogie" sound from the 70's, I had a perfectly cherry 1959 Fender Pro amplifier... 1 15", small Fender chassis, made as a pedal steel amp, no reverb, great vibrato and even a prescence control.

In the idiocy of my youth, I traded it in and got that Yamaha GL100-112, enamored by the fetron tube and the actually usable distortion channel...

One of the very few gear choices that I have ever regretted, just because NOW I know what that little Pro amp was and how good it was...

Turns out, the Yamaha is a terrific amp. Bought it 1980, never a gllitch, never a problem... many have told me that it is ne of the few of that design that was really good. It's still a favorite for clean sounds, for jazz... an, amazingly enough, with that silly little Tomsline Bluesey pedal, it really comes alive with touch sensitivity and depth for a little "tube grit" for blues...

I'd probably sell it, but it's old reliable... and my Deluxe Reverb can get a bit touchy from time to time, so it's great to have a back-up. Plus, it's probably not worth but a couple hundred bucks... if things get desperate enough? Who knows!
That's my argument for not selling anything - don't want that "shouldn'a done that!" feeling. At this point, I don't know what I don't know, and I've read too many stories like yours re: guitars and amps (strangely, nobody regrets selling modeling gear . . . ) - I may "grow into it," so don't sell it yet. Consequently, I've got a lot of idle gear that makes me feel guilty in a different way. Oh, well.

May you never get desperate enough!
Old 08-08-2019, 10:17 AM

A local guy had a 2015 Classic Player MIM Jazzmaster for sale. He brought it to my house minus a case and tremolo bar. He knocked off 10% and I got it for 25% less than the Reverb prices.

Plugged in to my living room amp, Tech21 Classic 65 watt, it is perfectly in tune with great tone from both pickups.

Now I have a Strat, Tele, and the Jazzmaster along with the SG, Les Paul Jr, Melody Maker, PRS SE and McCarty, not to mention the six acoustic guitars, lap steel, and Weissenborn.

I need to hire a tech who can hand me different guitar at gigs.
Old 08-08-2019, 10:41 AM

I have a Vox AD30 that has built in effects, and multiple tube/amp drive levels. Very versatile, just the thing for my music room when I get the electric itch. With my Frankenstrat I can get a lot of different sounds and tones with it.
Old 08-08-2019, 12:22 PM

Quote:

I'd say you got it going on good there

BTW a buddy of mine absolutely loves those Yamaha amps and he's got a killer Carr amp too, just for some comparison.
Old 08-11-2019, 08:50 AM

Well, sold my Helix Stomp and PRS SE Tremonti. Thinning out is going well. Just need to figure out how far I want to go. I could sell a few more things and get a really nice amp to replace everything, or just enjoy acoustic for as long as I can...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars