The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 11-27-2012, 10:27 AM

Pre 1985 workshop fire Normans!!

Original 1985 Pre-workshop fire Normans made before Norman Boucher sold the Brand name to Robert Godin in 1988 are fabulous.

I used to snicker at the term "Canadian Martin" used to decsribe these guitars until I got my hands on one. These old Normans are the real deal!!! Just about all French Canadian Professional Artists were playing these starting in 1968 and all through the 70's and early 80's!

The B-50 all solid wood Spruce Maple B&S guitar sounds and plays like the Boucher guitars that the sons of Norman Boucher are building today, that sell for over 2 Grand.

These guitars just Chime! Look for ST-68s and B-50s. The Godin ones are not nearly as good until you get to the newer all solid wood ST-68.

I got that 1985 B-50 for $275 including the case and it will easily hang with my Larrivee D-60, Yairi DY-94, Norman ST-68, and Aria AD-80.

This is my favorite Beater ever!!! 27 years old with a fabulous tone and a piano like chime. A couple of nicks, a minor finish scratch, and i got it from the original owner who was getting a Collings from his Wife as an Anniversary present!

They are easily recognizable because there is no heel at the neck body joint. You don't need to buy a CW acoustic to play leads.

Crafty people....these French Canadians and sooooooo nice!

Last edited by Harmonycat; 11-27-2012 at 12:17 PM.
Old 11-27-2012, 11:51 AM

Tacoma. Most under appreciated quality guitar ever made. Absolutely the best buy on the used market available. They have a bad rep because of a finish problem that has absolutely no effect on the way they sound or play. Also, some folks don't like the shape of the headstock referring to it as a "Gumby" looking thing. I have owned several vintage Gibsons through the years that did not have a thing on the Tacoma guitars. I currently have a 1989 D-18 that is as good as that era D-18 gets. I have a Tacoma DR14c that more than holds its own with the Martin. Paid nearly 2 grand for the Martin and $600 for the Tacoma.

My 2 cents
Old 11-27-2012, 12:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
According to my Japanese students and wife, Sada is short for Sadao...my name is Peter but people call me Pete...that sort of thing. Their language I figure, they should know. Yes, lots of stuff written on the family but very little if any comes from those involved, at least as far as I have seen...maybe I`ll get somebody to look at that Japan Vintage interview I have, I doubt Kazuo reveals anything that isn`t already guessed at, evidently there was some bad blood in the family, if you have siblings you know seeing eye to eye with them on all things isn`t very likely.
Sounds like you have never tried a Yamaha Dynamic? My books have a lot of info on those and I own 30 of em, great little nylon strings, all solid wood made with beautiful figured maple on the backs and sides, Ezo pine for tops...the #40s are probably my favorites. Outstanding guitars though they are nylon strings, they don`t have the flat wide necks seen on classical guitars, much fatter, thicker necks on them and the necks vary on many of mine since they were hand made. Like the old Yairis, those Dynamics are unbelievably cheap here, paid as little as 1000 yen for some and most I paid was 15,000 yen for one in near mint condition with original hard case...got one that came in it`s original cardboard shipping box from the early 1950`s but it`s getting brittle and the guitar is like a new one. Anyways...if you have the chance to try one you should, might surprise you.
Personally, the theory that Sada/Sadao = 1-and-the-same person makes the most sense to me. Maybe 'cause I grew up in Hawaii, and am familiar with shortened Japanese names.

I've never had a chance to see a Yamaha Dynamic, let alone try one, but have heard they are a sort of Holy Grail series. Maybe one day ...
Nimbus 2000 (2000)

Kamaka Gold Label Soprano (c. 1960s) / Nameless "Chicago-style" Soprano (1910s-30s[?]) / Keli'i Gold Series Tenor (2012?)

Kamoa E3-T Tenor (2012-13?)
Old 11-27-2012, 01:18 PM

Yunzhi, ordered from the factory.
Old 11-27-2012, 01:29 PM

How bout Tama guitars? I remember playing a few that really sounded great.
Old 11-27-2012, 05:48 PM

I have read there were two Sadas...the original Sadao was the one who worked for Suzuki and left in the 1930`s, it was Sadao the younger who made the guitars I own...who was cousin/brother/relative to Kazuo.
Old 08-08-2019, 02:58 PM

I bought a Mr. Potato acoustic here in Tucson on CL for $80.00...the seller had an exchange student from Korea and bought the guitar from her for her son, but the son never touched it...sat for 8 years...I had never heard of them...but I went and examined it with a jewelers loupe and saw the top was solid spruce...

Took it home restrung/cleaned and let it humidify for about 3 months...it has the "Mr. Potato" logo in the top the sides/back seem to be Indian rosewood and I'm fairly certain they are laminate, but I would not bet money on that...

guitar is exceptionally well made, solid, also pretty sure its NOT a nitro lacquer...a bit heavier than my Taylor or Martin finished...

Neck is mahogany, and pretty clear it was handmade, the heel and headstock have laminated sections to them so not solid...(meaning not solid one piece construction, sections added to make the angles and depth)

Absolutely no label or markings inside guitar, truss rod is there and scalloped bracing throughout but its clear this is a handcrafted guitar...(small amounts of glue visible throughout)...

I'll try to post pics when I get around to it...

really nice guitar and for the price a gem.
Old 08-08-2019, 03:47 PM

Flambeau (If Sadao & George had a baby, and it was born between Ireland & Japan ... )

There's some 'Masterworks' that are actually S. Yairi pieces, and some of those 'catalogue poc' guitars are actually rebranded Gibsons, made for 'catalogue' companies. Just because some internet expert says, 'it's prolly a ply piece of Sears junk', doesn't mean it is. Before your eyes pass over that old yard sale f-hole, might want to let your hands & ears have a say.

There's some killer vintage Yamaha L series. I had a '78 dread' that was one of the very best guitars I've ever owned. Top 3. Before the 'L' designation Yamaha model numbers above 500 might be all solid, handmade, mij. Hard to pin down absolutes when talking old Yamaha. (But there's some serious brilliance, at gift price, waiting for savvy buyers imo.)

I think what Norm Thiessen is building near Kelowna could def' qualify as a hidden gem. If you're in the area, I paid less than $1k

You really don't have to pay much to own a fine instrument -- if you're willing to put the effort in. Life's too short to play crap. I'm merciless on people who beg on e classifieds tho.

jmo -- no expert
'05 Larrivée 0M-03 Custom (bear claw/hog), '13 Kronbauer TDK 285 MJ Custom (koa), '94 Froggy Bottom Custom (koa) dread', '08 Seagull Artist (EIR), '19 Gnome Blues Custom (EIR/T13? redwood), '78 S. Yairi 726 (hog), '84 K Yairi AR377, 1905 Vega parlor (hog), 60's Stella,'94 Saudi Tele', '79 Epi Genesis

"Your sound is in your hands ... ... more than it is the amp or the guitar you use." - SRV

Last edited by Blind Dog; 08-08-2019 at 04:21 PM. Reason: missing an s in Norm, and then grabbed binding pic'
Old 08-09-2019, 05:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bananas View Post
...but the two younger Yairis Sada[o] and Kazuo, who is still alive and kicking...
Sadly, Kazuo passed away back in 2014.
2010 Squier Vintage Modified Jazzmaster
1974 Rickenbacker 4001 Bass
Old 08-09-2019, 06:13 AM

Just love my Alvarez AP66ESB and Eastman AC122ce (both bought brand new for 600$ CAD).

I agree Gallagher seems forgotten : Wasn't it played by late Doc Watson ?
Old 08-09-2019, 06:26 PM

I think the range of Sigma guitars are the best kept secrets out there.
Old 08-09-2019, 09:47 PM

Default Lesser-known gems and best-kept secrets

• Avalon Gold Series (early-2K's Irish-made)
  • Guild Westerly Series D-1212
  • Godin 5th Avenue acoustic archtop
  • Gibson J-15
  • Larrivee L-03R
  • Gretsch Electromatic 5400/5600 Series
  • Godin CW II
  • Epiphone Emperor Regent ('90s/early-2K's MIK)
  • Yamaha SSC-500 (early-80's MIJ)
  • Gibson SG Standard bass
  • Pedulla Series II bass (early-90's P/J bolt-on neck)
Old 08-09-2019, 11:00 PM

I would say Poljakoff Guitars made by jakob poljakoff and his brother in Berlin, Germany.

https://www.poljakoffgitarren.de/english/guitars/

His S-1 that I have is as good as any guitar I have ever played or owned and having it's own tonality. Fit and finish are of he highest level and his guitats are designed with a minimalistic elegance that is his own signature. His guitars are unfortunately not well known outside Germany but as more discover them, i trust that will change.

Below is my ngd thread

https://www.acousticguitarforum.com/...d.php?t=551804
Old 08-10-2019, 03:24 AM

400-600 series Freshman, faith, crafter and Farida at the moderate price points.

At the higher end:
Brook, Dave king, Northwood, Rozawood, Atkin etc.
Gibson J-45 JT project "1942 Banner" (Adi/Mahogany)
Eastman E20P (Adi/Rosewood)
Sigma-SDR-28MLE (Adi/Madagascan Rosewood)
Sigma SDR-45 (Sitka/Rosewood)
Sigma SDM-18 (European/Flamed Mahogany)
Freshman FA400D (Engelmann/Rosewood)
Freshman FA300 (Cedar/Hog)
Voyage Air VAD-06

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion