The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 08-03-2019, 05:13 PM

They could have quietly put them in a trash compactor, rather than make a youtube video. They could have hired some electronic's students to disassemble the guitars and part them out on ebay too.
Old 08-03-2019, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denny B View Post
The company destroyed an old batch of guitars from 2009-2011 that they deemed not sellable, repairable or suitable for donation...

I don't see a problem, and if I did have one, it would be just an armchair quarterback personal opinion...
+1 on this. Making a big deal about this serves no purpose.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve DeRosa View Post
Giving one of these to an unsuspecting kid would be considered child abuse IMO...
Were the ergonomics that bad or was it just because it was fugly?

Heck, I'd take one of these as opposed to destroying them.
Old 08-03-2019, 09:18 PM

It certainly can't make guitars cheaper. Lost wages and resources will be tacked onto the cost of new guitars.

Last edited by Kerbie; 08-03-2019 at 09:34 PM. Reason: Quote deleted
Old 08-04-2019, 06:57 AM

I had a similar reaction to a story on our local news when someone walked by the metal salvage yard and snapped a photo of a huge pile of those turquoise colored "rental" bikes. They interviewed a spokesperson for the local folks who handle the rental business and they explained that they pull them and recycle the materials after a year and a half.

These sit around most of the city and very rarely get used except on campus locations so I suspect there's a much deeper story involved. A huge tax write-off perhaps?

Seeing a couple hundred like new bikes and then seeing that row of Gibsons elicited the same feeling from me. I do understand why Gibson wouldn't want them released to the public, but letting someone see or film that is pretty irresponsible.

They haven't found Jimmy Hoffa yet; it seems like they could have "eliminated" the Firebirds in a similar fashion.
Old 08-04-2019, 08:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
I had a similar reaction to a story on our local news when someone walked by the metal salvage yard and snapped a photo of a huge pile of those turquoise colored "rental" bikes. They interviewed a spokesperson for the local folks who handle the rental business and they explained that they pull them and recycle the materials after a year and a half.

These sit around most of the city and very rarely get used except on campus locations so I suspect there's a much deeper story involved. A huge tax write-off perhaps?

Seeing a couple hundred like new bikes and then seeing that row of Gibsons elicited the same feeling from me. I do understand why Gibson wouldn't want them released to the public, but letting someone see or film that is pretty irresponsible.

They haven't found Jimmy Hoffa yet; it seems like they could have "eliminated" the Firebirds in a similar fashion.

If I'm not mistaken, I believe the vid was made and released by a disgruntled now ex-employee of Gibson...
Old 08-04-2019, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by s2y View Post
Were the ergonomics that bad or was it just because it was fugly?

Heck, I'd take one of these as opposed to destroying them.
In order:
  1. Yes on both counts - which leads me to:
  2. I taught upper-elementary/junior-high students in Brooklyn, NY for most of my career...
    Many of them were musicians, several of whom I advised on their first/second electric guitar purchase: some Mexi-Strats/Teles, a few Epi LP's/SG's, an Ibanez or two - pretty much reliable, enduring designs with decent QC...
    Whip out a Firebird X at band practice and you'll never survive recess...

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars