The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 07-13-2019, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colchar View Post
I can't play acoustic (most, myself included, would say the same about my electric playing!), so I figured I should devote some effort into becoming better at it. I currently have a nice Yamaha LL6 acoustic, but I've decided that I want to get a higher end all solid wood acoustic. My thinking is that if I spend some money, not only will it encourage me to practice but I will also be getting myself a guitar which is a lifer before I have a reduced income in the fall due to impending surgery, and then have to devote funds to other things come the new year.

I am considering Gibsons, Martins, and Taylors but had only been thinking about dreadnoughts. I can be somewhat stuck in my ways and, to my mind, a dread is what an acoustic should be. Earlier this week I started considering guitars with cutaways (this was a big step for me!), and today I stopped by my local guitar store to check out what they had in stock. I am friendly with one of their managers and he was giving me a hand. Since he is exclusively an acoustic player himself, he was the perfect guy to help me. The problem is, that he now has me thinking beyond dreadnoughts. He thinks that for what I will be doing a grand orchestra, a grand symphony, or grand auditorium would be a better choice - unfortunately I can't remember now which of those three he specifically recommended! That has opened up a whole new world of acoustics for me and it is confusing as hell! There are so many options out there that one could easily become overwhelmed, particularly when one starts considering the woods used!

I liked some of the 300 series Taylors I checked out, but I want an all gloss body which is not available in the 300 series so I will have to look at the 400 series and above. I will also continue looking at Gibsons and Martins. I don't want electronics, but if they are included and are unobtrusive like in my Yamaha then who cares if they are there.

Whichever guitar I choose I plan for it to be a lifer so I need to get this decision right, but man this is so confusing!!!!
What prompted you to resolve you needed a higher end guitar? You can't play acoustic, by your own claim, meaning you have not developed the necessary experience (chops & ear) to make that resolution. That, together with the Yamaha LL6 being a very nice guitar doesn't compute for me. Is it just a hankering to spend money on an expensive guitar (usually from outside influencing like forums)?

I would not resolve myself to an expensive guitar at this point just for the sake of having one, without the experience needed to make a good judgement call (not a decision remotely forum-privileged to call). I'd become intimately acquainted with the LL6 and use it to further my skills. No higher priced guitar can do that better (without using a lot of imagination).
Old 07-13-2019, 09:50 AM

Quote:
All Godins are made in Canada, it is their electrics that are made in New England.

I have owned Seagulls in the past and would seriously consider one of their (or S&P's) top of the line guitars, but when I get up to that price point why not just add a few hundred and get one from Gibson, Taylor, or Martin?
Because at under $1000 or so, I'd rather buy Seagull's best work than G-T-M's worst.

My Seagull SWS Maritime is the best mini jumbo they ever made, and that they will ever make, apparently. With solid mahogany B&S and Adirondack bracing, it cost me $500, new. I'd have to triple that price to begin looking at the big three's good stuff.
- Tacoma EK36C (ancient cedar Little Jumbo, '01, #145/150)
- Seagull SWS Maritime Mini Jumbo ('16)
- Simon & Patrick Pro Folk Rosewood ('01)
- Godin Montreal Premiere Supreme
- Ibanez Mikro Bass
Old 07-13-2019, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post
What prompted you to resolve you needed a higher end guitar? You can't play acoustic, by your own claim, meaning you have not developed the necessary experience (chops & ear) to make that resolution. That, together with the Yamaha LL6 being a very nice guitar doesn't compute for me. Is it just a hankering to spend money on an expensive guitar (usually from outside influencing like forums)?

I would not resolve myself to an expensive guitar at this point just for the sake of having one, without the experience needed to make a good judgement call (not a decision remotely forum-privileged to call). I'd become intimately acquainted with the LL6 and use it to further my skills. No higher priced guitar can do that better (without using a lot of imagination).

I was being self-deprecating. Well mostly. I can play acoustic but am not great at it, I am far better on electric.

I want a higher end guitar because I have the means to do this at the moment. I also think that having a higher end acoustic will prompt me to reach for the acoustic over my electrics, and thus become better with practice.

Plus, the rest of my gear is set (the stuff I have I will have for life) so I was thinking that I should be the same with my acoustic.
Old 07-13-2019, 10:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Birdbrain View Post
Because at under $1000 or so, I'd rather buy Seagull's best work than G-T-M's worst.

My Seagull SWS Maritime is the best mini jumbo they ever made, and that they will ever make, apparently. With solid mahogany B&S and Adirondack bracing, it cost me $500, new. I'd have to triple that price to begin looking at the big three's good stuff.

My biggest issue with Seagull's high end stuff is that they have Richlite fretboards. Simon & Patricks, however, come with real wood.
Old 07-19-2019, 04:26 PM

I bought a Gibson Songwriter today. Part of an exclusive run for Canada's largest guitar retailer, with only 65 being made.
Old 07-19-2019, 06:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 6L6 View Post
All of my acoustics are Dreads because only a dread provides the tone my ears demand.

Buy the best guitar you can afford. A great guitar will definitely encourage you to practice and get better.
oh yeah, gotta go with that
Old 07-19-2019, 09:09 PM

I guess I got to this thread too late. One of the best Canadian names in acoustic guitars is Boucher, they’re made in Quebec. Beautiful solid woods and seriously good tone. But you’ve already bought your Gibson, so never mind!

Enjoy your new guitar, may it provide all the pleasure you are seeking.
Old 07-19-2019, 09:39 PM

Quote:

Whichever guitar I choose I plan for it to be a lifer so I need to get this decision right, but man this is so confusing!!!!
Here's the bad news: Whichever guitar you choose right now, will NOT be a lifer for you. I guarantee it.

Here's why I say that with such confidence: Your confusion (which really isn't confusion, but simply being overwhelmed) about acoustic guitars proves that you are nowhere near to being in the place where you can make a qualified decision of what may be a guitar you will enjoy for life. It's a little like someone who has never dated anyone decided to go out and find their life partner — tonight, before 8pm. Except that because they realize there are so many individuals out there, they're confused about who will be the right person for them.

It doesn't work that way, not in the world of romantic partners, and not in the world of guitars.

You may think you know what guitar you want right now, but the reality is you don't. You have no clue, and I mean that in a good way. This is where the good news comes in: If you can get over this initial urge to find your life's guitar right now (and believe me, I've been there myself, many of us have), you have the opportunity to embark on a wonderful, fun-filled journey.

That journey is one of discovery, where you will play and try countless guitars along the way, until you find one that speaks to you like no other, and you will buy that one and play the heck out of it.

Until that time comes, play the heck out of your Yamaha. It's good enough.

For now.

One thing I didn't understand in the OP was the part about having the means now and not later due to an upcoming surgery. The means you have right now won't magically evaporate later, unless you couldn't afford them to begin with. in other words, you either can live on your future limited income or you can't. If you can, you might as well put money aside now and save it for a guitar purchase, and if you can't, you should not spend money you have now because you will need it later. At least according to my logic...

EDIT: I guess I came to the thread late myself. Sorry about that.

Martin America 1
Martin 000-15sm
Recording King Dirty 30s RPS-9 TS
Taylor GS Mini
Baton Rouge 12-string guitar
Martin L1XR Little Martin
1933 Epiphone Olympic
1971 square neck Dobro

Last edited by DesertTwang; 07-19-2019 at 09:45 PM.
Old 07-20-2019, 10:24 AM

Default Epiphone Masterbilt

Take a look at the Epiphone Masterbilt Series.
All solid wood ! Great prices !
http://www.epiphone.com/Products/Aco...asterbilt.aspx
Old 07-20-2019, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DesertTwang View Post
Here's the bad news: Whichever guitar you choose right now, will NOT be a lifer for you. I guarantee it.

Here's why I say that with such confidence: Your confusion (which really isn't confusion, but simply being overwhelmed) about acoustic guitars proves that you are nowhere near to being in the place where you can make a qualified decision of what may be a guitar you will enjoy for life. It's a little like someone who has never dated anyone decided to go out and find their life partner — tonight, before 8pm. Except that because they realize there are so many individuals out there, they're confused about who will be the right person for them.

It doesn't work that way, not in the world of romantic partners, and not in the world of guitars.

You may think you know what guitar you want right now, but the reality is you don't. You have no clue, and I mean that in a good way. This is where the good news comes in: If you can get over this initial urge to find your life's guitar right now (and believe me, I've been there myself, many of us have), you have the opportunity to embark on a wonderful, fun-filled journey.

That journey is one of discovery, where you will play and try countless guitars along the way, until you find one that speaks to you like no other, and you will buy that one and play the heck out of it.

Until that time comes, play the heck out of your Yamaha. It's good enough.

For now.

Well I've got the Gibson for now, so we'll see how things go with that. I got it at such a phenomenal price that I will never lose money on it should it turn out not to be a lifer.

Quote:
One thing I didn't understand in the OP was the part about having the means now and not later due to an upcoming surgery. The means you have right now won't magically evaporate later, unless you couldn't afford them to begin with. in other words, you either can live on your future limited income or you can't. If you can, you might as well put money aside now and save it for a guitar purchase, and if you can't, you should not spend money you have now because you will need it later. At least according to my logic...

What I meant was that I have money sitting around now that I am not really using. Between now and the surgery (now delayed ) I can replenish my savings and use that money to ride out the period of reduced income due to the surgery. Once I go back to working my normal hours post-surgery I can quickly replenish my savings again. Would keeping the money that I have now make that easier? Sure. Is it necessary to do that? No.

I should also point out that I am a college prof so might be able to arrange to teach nothing but online classes for a term. If I were to do that my income wouldn't be reduced at all as I would simply take a week or two off post-surgery, and would then go back to teaching online for the remainder of the term. Even the week or two off post-surgery wouldn't affect my income as I have a ton of sick days saved up and could just use some of them.
Old 07-21-2019, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pitar View Post

I agree. I have an LS6 and there is nothing wrong with it at all, other than Yamaha's insistence on using bindings of different shades of white on the same guitar. I don't believe most players could hear the difference between the laminated back and sides and the solid ones on the LL16. Then again, I am primarily a home player at this point and have more guitars than I could possibly need, but I love them.

If the OP is set on spending money and has physical issues that make playing difficult, I would suggest an Eastman E20OM or a Gibson J-45 studio. Both are a bit thinner than your LL6 which makes them much more comfortable for playing while seated on the couch or a chair and both are amazing instruments. If I had to seriously thin out my collection, those would be the last two I would hold on to.
Old 07-21-2019, 11:05 AM

Choosing a guitar became confusing when you joined an acoustic guitar forum. You might share certain personal aspects of your muse with other players here but I wouldn't bank on it, or their suggestions. I would, however, let my ears and hands make the judgement call and keep the rest of my head out of it.
Old 07-21-2019, 04:11 PM
Charter Member

If I were you, I would wait a little while and decide what it is you really want for a home "hobby" guitar. Smaller bodied guitars have some advantage in comfort, at least for some folks, being a bit easier to handle while sitting back on a sofa. A larger bodied guitar will usually have more volume. Not always, but typically. It all depends on what will suit the majority of your needs. Do some research and play a bunch. In reality, it isn't difficult at all. Find one that plays and sounds great to you, and take it home.

Too many folks spend way too much time looking at specs, materials, brand names, etc, and too little time simply playing. For me, I learned a long time ago that I can enjoy guitars from all spectrums, and names, materials, specs, and everything else can make some differences, but not THE difference. I have guitars that cost a couple grand and I like them a lot. I also have an old Yamaha that I bought for $70 and like it a lot. That's all that matters. Play and enjoy. That's my take. Good luck
Old 07-21-2019, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I bought a Gibson Songwriter today. Part of an exclusive run for Canada's largest guitar retailer, with only 65 being made.
Ah, I see you have already found one. I believe you made an excellent choice. The Songwriter is a very popular guitar, and for good reason. Enjoy!
Old 07-21-2019, 09:02 PM

Quote:
Wow, super congrats! I recently got a 2018 Gibson Songwriter 12-string rosewood burst that I am overjoyed with. Fantastic guitar with a perfect finish out of Bozeman.

2018 Guild F-512 Sunburst -- 2007 Guild F412 Ice Tea burst
2002 Guild JF30-12 Whiskeyburst -- 2011 Guild F-50R Sunburst
2011 Guild GAD D125-12 NT -- 
1972 Epiphone FT-160 12-string
2012 Epiphone Dot CH
 -- 2010 Epiphone Les Paul Standard trans amber 

2013 Yamaha Motif XS7

Cougar's Soundcloud page

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion