The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD

Old 07-06-2019, 07:44 PM
Charter Member

Smile Tube LDC

I have a Rode K2 which I have found to be very reliable and nice sounding with a relatively low noise floor. I purchased it many years ago because of the good reviews, affordability and flat frequency response. It is a multi-pattern tube LDC with its own outboard power supply.

If buying now, I would also consider the Mojave Audio tube LDC's.

Good luck and have fun with your mic search.

2020 Kraut 00, Swiss/Brazilian, build
2018 Eady EG Pro Electric, Redwood/Mahogany
2013 Baranik Meridian, Blue Spruce/Cocobolo, build
2008 Baranik CX, Blue Spruce/African Blackwood
2008 Breedlove A20 Masterclass 12-string, Adi/IRW
2003 Thames classical, Euro/Brazilian
Fodera Standard 4 Fretless bass, figured walnut
Old 07-07-2019, 07:35 PM
Charter Member

Okay, I know this is not exactly what you are looking for but I started messing around with an AEA A840 Ribbon mic paired with my Geffel 300 and Geffel 930 with very interesting results. The AEA A840 has the figure 8 pattern. So, if you are looking for something completely different you might head down that road.
By the way, your Noone Lasses CD is one of my all-time favorite acoustic guitar CDs. You nailed it in that one.
Spotify

FOR SALE:
MIKTEK CV4 Tube mic
Various Shock Mounts
2019 Alvarez ABT60 SHB-E Baritone guitar
Shoot me a PM if interested
Old 07-07-2019, 09:58 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feste View Post
By the way, your Noone Lasses CD is one of my all-time favorite acoustic guitar CDs. You nailed it in that one.
Aw thanks! That sure means alot. Doug Young is at least partly to thank for that, he did all the engineering. The setup was his Schoepes spaced pair. Funny, when I listen to it now I think it needs alot more highs. I was playing with natural nails back then, and my tone was just super dark.

Are you using the AEA as part of mid/side setup, or something else? I remember once when I was at Doug's he had his Brauner's as a spaced pair, and then some sort of stereo mic right up the middle, it was either a Royer or Audio Technica 4050ST, set to XY or mid side, i forget which. Then he blended the two tracks together. I have thought that could be cool too, if i wanted to go in a totally different direction. I like my Gefell spaced pair, i wonder what a stereo mic on a second track would add.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:13 PM
Charter Member

Well I never did get around to buying a multi pattern LDC. And now here I am socially isolating, with more time to window shop on the internet and think about how to expand my home studio.

I don't really NEED a multi pattern LDC day to day, my Gefell M300 pair pretty much covers my fingerstyle guitar recording needs. But it seems like a logical next step to round out my mic collection, plus it would be fun to play with mid side recording. Or use a center mic with my current spaced pair setup.

Do I go tube or no tube? I've never owned a tube mic before, that could be cool. Bob Womack really seemed to like the MXL Revelation, I was impressed with this review and those comparison clips. I could buy one now and another one later for stereo micing.

But no tube means less cables and a power supply to worry about, which might be better. I was looking at the Mojave 301 Fet or perhaps an AT 4050 or 4047MP, or maybe a 414. Though I already have a pair of 2020's, so I kind of want to try a different brand.

I welcome any suggestions, or just discussion about mics. Pretty bored these days with no social interaction. I hope everyone out there is doing well.
Old 04-13-2020, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brent Hahn View Post

If and when you do this testing, please bear in mind that when you record and then play back over speakers in the same room, you won't hear the effect of the room since you're still in it.
I disagree. You will hear the effect of the room twice. The 1st time as it influences what the mic picks up. The 2nd time when you playback in the same room.
Old 04-13-2020, 10:01 PM
Eric Skye

I've used the AT 4050 quite a bit on the albums I've made. And you know I'm a big fan of the 414.. Both great mics at about the same price point. Hey, if you wanna borrow one of my 414's for a week, shoot me a text and I can put it on my porch for ya
Old 04-13-2020, 10:03 PM
Charter Member

Thanks Eric! I will probably take you up on that
Old 04-14-2020, 08:19 AM

Default expanding mic collection with a good LDC

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
I was thinking about a single Brauner Phantom V, or maybe a pair of 414's for the same price. I would probably be buying used.

Curious what other folks are using.

Lately I’m using a pair of 414s as much as I can. I don’t feel like I have as much low end mud to EQ out as when I use a KM184 on guitar.

Last edited by midwinter; 04-14-2020 at 09:11 AM.
Old 04-14-2020, 09:00 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Back in 1980 when I was just starting as a recording engineer there was an article in Recording Engineer/Producer Magazine (RIP) addressing mic selection.* It began with an anecdote: A young buck engineer asks an old, experienced engineer, "What is the best mic for acoustic guitar?" The old engineer scratches his chin, peers off into the distance in thought for a while, and finally replies, somewhat absently, "It depends." With that, he wanders off.

Bob

* I tried to memorize that article on the flight to my first job interview in 1981. After I got the job, I slit the article out of the magazine and have it in my files. Somewhere. There was also a fascinating article that I saved about "angles of incidence." You don't hear that term used in microphony anymore.

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-14-2020, 09:08 AM

What’s that joke? The young guy asks the engineer which mic in the locker is most important. He responds “whichever one is closest.”
Old 04-14-2020, 03:48 PM
Charter Member

Haha good answer guys. I bet there was not this much analysis paralysis in the days before the internet and so many mid level options.
Old 04-14-2020, 03:49 PM

It’s called “the tyranny of choice”
Old 04-24-2020, 09:11 AM
Charter Member

Well, when I saw Eric Skye was selling his 414 XLS I couldn't resist the chance to check it out and try before possibly buying. And I ended up buying it. I made a nice mid side recording with one of my Gefell M300's, I'll post something more polished sometime soon.

I'm looking forward to trying it in Omni mode super close to the guitar, as well as micing my guitar amp and a variety of other things. It will be good to have a multi pattern LDC on hand. Perhaps Ill pick up a second one at some point. And I guess I also need a good dynamic, and a stereo mic, and a ribbon...
Old 04-24-2020, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by anton View Post
Well, when I saw Eric Skye was selling his 414 XLS I couldn't resist the chance to check it out and try before possibly buying. And I ended up buying it. I made a nice mid side recording with one of my Gefell M300's, I'll post something more polished sometime soon.

I'm looking forward to trying it in Omni mode super close to the guitar, as well as micing my guitar amp and a variety of other things. It will be good to have a multi pattern LDC on hand. Perhaps Ill pick up a second one at some point. And I guess I also need a good dynamic, and a stereo mic, and a ribbon...
Hi anton

When I had my acoustic studio I deliberately diversified when it came to my second large diaphragm. My first was my AKG 414 TLII, and for the second I chose a Shure KSM-44 which is basically Shure's take on the same configurations.

At the time I wondered if I chose wisely, but have since never regretted it in the more-than-15yrs I've owned the pair.

I discovered (soon after having both) that certain voice ranges respond-to/sound-better with a particular one. Same with recording more aggressive instruments (sax, some harmonicas, certain fiddle players).

They make a great pair for mid-side recording, and good options for my ToneDexter.

I actually did a mid-side array where I did both left/right and front/back for a live bluegrass group in an auditorium with a very interactive audience. The front/back microphone not only covered the mid-instruments but the audience as well.

Don't know if one can ever have 'too-many' work-horse mics…

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > RECORD