The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Old 08-15-2019, 07:08 PM

Default Might set one guitar up for an open tuning only

The reason is I have to find a way to be able to get back to playing. The last couple of months have been a real "pain" with the rapid onset of left hand tendonitis De Quervain.
My priority, at least for a couple more years has to be keeping my left hand well enough to continue my job in a machine shop.
And playing the guitar, at least the way I want to play, really is making it worse.
Am on Prednisone now, so it actually feels a bit better.
I figured out if I position my thumb a bit differently, I don't get the stabbing pain in the base of the thumb. In other words, avoid bone on wood. Try more for side of pad of thumb.
But, now I'm thinking of taking one of my guitars and getting it set up for just open tunings. Right now I can't drop the tuning at all.
It just goes all mushy and slack.
It would require some learning of course, but I think it might be my best bet and allow me to get back to concentrating on my right hand, and make some pretty sounds at least, for a while.
It's so disapointing, because I was really getting so I could pull melodies out of the chords.
Horrible set-back and very depressing.
I need to research what open tuning to go with first.
Suggestions welcomed!
2 Kala baritone ukuleles
1 Kala baritone uke/tenor guitar hybrid, steel strings
Oh, and a Z*#&$=#@, Travel size
Old 08-15-2019, 07:22 PM
Charter Member

I'm pretty leery about the use of corticosteroids for tendonitis. You might seek another provider's opinion. Anyway, with rapid onset perhaps earlier resolution.
Good luck.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 08-16-2019, 05:02 AM

Thanks, I just had to go to workers comp provider, but maybe I’ll see someone else on my own. It’s a bummer.
2 Kala baritone ukuleles
Old 08-16-2019, 08:48 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Stubs View Post
…I'm thinking of taking one of my guitars and getting it set up for just open tunings. Right now I can't drop the tuning at all.
It just goes all mushy and slack.
Hi Ms Stubs

If you increase the weight of the strings one level (from Light to Medium for instance) and tune to either Open G (D-G-D-G-B-D) or Open D (D-A-D-F#-A-D), with the heavier strings, the tension should be about the same you have now (because of the increased weight of string and lower pitches)

And then if you place the guitar in your lap (face up) and learn to play from the topside of the neck, it potentially relaxes the pressure on the wrist and fingers. Also, you can use a steel guitar slide…

Sorry for what you're going through.

Hope this adds to the discussion. It's something I've used with older students who have had issues because of injury, repetitive use, surgery or disease.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 08-16-2019, 09:09 AM

I had DeQuervaine's in my left wrist (fretting hand) back in 2013. I went to the doctor, was diagnosed, and he sent me to physical therapy. PT did not work to cure it, and it got worse, so bad that I could not play at all, open tunings or not. I could not even pull together the two parts of my pants to fasten them and zip them up, that's how bad my left wrist was. I was basically one-handed. After six months of this I went to a doctor in Boston who is a musician himself and handles musician-specific ailments. I ended up having surgery on that wrist, which cured it completely. There is, of course a recovery period, and also a period of very slowly starting to play again in small, but increasing, increments, and PT to get everything working again. You'll have some down time as far as playing goes (and other things that involve use of that hand), but if you want it fixed you'll have to bite the bullet on that and do it. My wrist is absolutely fine now (and has been for years). I'm glad I did it, because the alternative might have meant not playing at all for the rest of my life.

So, find yourself a doctor like I did, who handles musician ailments, and is hopefully also a musician, and see what he says about it. If surgery is indicated go for it. I personally would not trust cortisone treatments, because from what I've read and been told they are temporary at best. Good luck to you with this. I know how it feels, physically and emotionally.

Jack
Old 08-18-2019, 09:50 PM

Hi Larry J, great ideas. I will get set of heavier strings because, yes, with these it all flops around when tuned down. (light strings)
Thanks!
2 Kala baritone ukuleles
Old 08-18-2019, 09:56 PM

Thanks Jack. Am happy to hear that your surgery worked out so well for you.
I think I'd like to finish this awful course of Prednisone, then ask for a Cortisone shot.
Then if it still pains me, which I think it will, I will see a hand surgeon early next year when I have some vacation coming to me, and try to get that done, outside of workers comp.
Again, happy for you!
2 Kala baritone ukuleles

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > PLAY and Write

Tags
de quervain, tendonitis