The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-26-2022, 09:30 AM

Default It's Lightning (F150) day.

This is exciting. The electric F150 assembly line starts today. I'm well aware of battery and parts constraints but the product sure makes sense for a lot of us.

Our 1930 Model A Ford was made in same in same Rouge complex and it is very much in line with Ford history for another game changing product to be manufactured there. Something else neat about that history is I met 4 young Ford engineers on a MTB ride last fall learning the 3 women were electric vehicle engineers for this project.

My boss is still waiting for his Rivian but our HQ and flagship store site already has an off grid charger for our customers and vehicles.

Best wishes Ford! Thank you for such a commitment to innovation and my country.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/ford-hu...hare_permalink

Last edited by srick; 04-26-2022 at 11:54 AM.
Old 04-26-2022, 10:07 AM
Charter Member

It will be interesting to see how this new truck does in the marketplace. It looks like it will be a winner, but time will tell.

- Glenn
Old 04-26-2022, 10:56 AM

I think this is a big deal and it’s going to be a winner unless it proves unreliable. Kudos to Ford. Seeing if a lot of the new Mustangs in my area already. They look great. I’ll be excited to see the next gen of electrics hoping for some smaller and more moderately priced so we can add one here.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-26-2022, 11:10 AM

I agree. This is a really huge and important product launch. Kudos to Ford!
Old 04-26-2022, 11:48 AM

Very excited about this as a pickup truck guy. If it performs, it will be a huge hit.

It’s a little scary to think about switching to electric and I’ll probably avoid the first few iterations until they work the bugs out.

Also curious what happens to all the batteries and generators in a potential world where everyone is driving an electric vehicle?
Old 04-26-2022, 11:56 AM

It's an amazing piece of technology and the specs look equally amazing. Kudos to Ford and I hope this product is an incredible success.
Old 04-26-2022, 12:29 PM
Anticipation Junkie

I haven’t followed any of this EV pickup development, but good for Ford. I think I saw in some ad that Chevy is offering the same or similar with a new Silverado?
Old 04-26-2022, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dylanheeg View Post
Very excited about this as a pickup truck guy. If it performs, it will be a huge hit.

It’s a little scary to think about switching to electric and I’ll probably avoid the first few iterations until they work the bugs out.

Also curious what happens to all the batteries and generators in a potential world where everyone is driving an electric vehicle?
If not here in other forums I've posted really good articles from Wall St. Journal and other credible sources taking a good view.

To start, a not too old Bloomberg article querying all the major makers we (the world or the US) are not going all electric and pointed out that even 10 years out the industry goal is 20% to 30% electric.

The major makers are all going after a schema like Apple's to keep more materials in their supply chain via recycling. There's a nascent industry making ready to use cathodes.

The problem with recycling in my mind is the many not first tier manufacturers os small products not getting recycling.

I'm certain we (Homo sapiens) will have other learning associated with all of this.

The small grocery chain where I manage infrastructure now has one planning on three off grid chargers. We already run the entire enterprise on renewables programs from two utilities. The Faith/Entech firm has placed a lot of them.

I love old machines and have books or waste time on YouTube combined with new info to realize electric motors and their advantages aren't new. What's new is the improvements with storage and the costs to do it.

Old 04-26-2022, 06:39 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I haven’t followed any of this EV pickup development, but good for Ford. I think I saw in some ad that Chevy is offering the same or similar with a new Silverado?
No Chevy is years behind- this Ford truck is amazing
Old 04-26-2022, 06:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FordGT View Post
No Chevy is years behind- this Ford truck is amazing

Silverado EV is coming next year

https://www.chevrolet.com/electric/silverado-ev

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2
Old 04-26-2022, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
I can’t speak to the Chevy electric truck program, but GM is investing hundreds of millions in a collaboration with Honda to produce electric cars and SUV’s to be built by both companies. Years ago before I retired Honda Japan was working on Hydrogen fuel cells to power automobiles, so I know that a lot of the engineering work is very advanced for non ICE vehicles.
I think the future is very exciting and look forward to seeing how far the new electric technologies can go.
Old 04-26-2022, 09:04 PM

I went full electric with a Honda 2 months ago.

1972 - Takamine D-70
2014 - Alvarez ABT60 Baritone
2015 - Kittis RBJ-195 Jumbo
2012 - Dan Dubowski#61
2018 - Rickenbacker 4003 Fireglo
2020 - Gibson Custom Shop Historic 1957 SJ-200
2021 - Epiphone 'IBG' Hummingbird
Old 04-27-2022, 05:36 AM

On Ford vs Chevy I'd call it different, and I give both credit for innovation and execution.

Ford's immediate aim at vocational vehicles is impressive. They've got the electric transit about ready for example. GM's making affordable practical smaller EVs and in US impresses me.

Something else that impresses me about a new era is the way GM handled a very small number of battery problems with the two new modestly priced vehicles. They stopped everything to fix the problem vs the industry's history of acting after people were killed and they had bad press.
Old 04-27-2022, 08:26 AM
Charter Member

At the unveiling of the Lightning, the Ford CEO announced that Ford will be building another EV pickup soon;

https://jalopnik.com/ford-just-annou...uck-1848844166

Ford CEO Jim Farley did drop quite the little nugget during his speech: there’s probably an EV Ranger on the way.

“We’re already pushing dirt down in Blue Oval City in Tennessee for another electric pickup truck that’s different than this one,” Farley said.

That means there’s already another EV Ford truck in the works.

According to a Ford spokesperson, the new EV “will be a next-gen electric truck, different from F-150 Lightning.” While we cannot confirm if the new EV will be based on the Ranger or Maverick, the smart money is on Ranger.

I'm a retired Union Carpenter and I drove 4 Rangers over a 20 year period followed by 2 Nissan Frontiers and I'd love a Ranger EV.

My next vehicle will definitely be an EV. I drove the Mustang Mach e and loved it but it's just not right for me. I don't want an F-150. It's gotten way too big and it's become the new yuppy-mobile.

And just like with the 3 Bears, a Ranger EV will be ''just right''!
Old 04-27-2022, 09:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
At the unveiling of the Lightning, the Ford CEO announced that Ford will be building another EV pickup soon;

https://jalopnik.com/ford-just-annou...uck-1848844166

Ford CEO Jim Farley did drop quite the little nugget during his speech: there’s probably an EV Ranger on the way.

“We’re already pushing dirt down in Blue Oval City in Tennessee for another electric pickup truck that’s different than this one,” Farley said.

That means there’s already another EV Ford truck in the works.

According to a Ford spokesperson, the new EV “will be a next-gen electric truck, different from F-150 Lightning.” While we cannot confirm if the new EV will be based on the Ranger or Maverick, the smart money is on Ranger.

I'm a retired Union Carpenter and I drove 4 Rangers over a 20 year period followed by 2 Nissan Frontiers and I'd love a Ranger EV.

My next vehicle will definitely be an EV. I drove the Mustang Mach e and loved it but it's just not right for me. I don't want an F-150. It's gotten way too big and it's become the new yuppy-mobile.

And just like with the 3 Bears, a Ranger EV will be ''just right''!

Rumor has it on one of the Super Duty forums, that a Hybrid Super Duty is in the works. A full-EV heavy-duty truck isn’t feasible for a lot of the work I and others do, but a Hybrid would sure help with $5 a gallon diesel prices.

2019 Bourgeois “Banjo Killer” Aged Tone Vintage Deluxe D
2018 Martin D41 Ambertone (2018 Reimagined)
2016 Taylor GS Mini Koa ES2

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic