The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-21-2022, 02:34 PM

Default May I have a Word with you techies here?

So here's my issue. I'm looking at the upper right hand corner of my iMac screen, where there's a small window with this message: "Upgrade to macOS Monterey." It's been there for a couple of months, maybe more, and normally I'd just click "Install" and follow the prompts and, voila! New operating system.

Problem? This time out, I clicked "Install" (quite a while back) but was flagged with a warning that this new iteration of the OS would not support my version of Microsoft Word (which is probably from 2011 or 2013). So I stopped the install process and that's where I am. Thing is, I've used MS Word since 1988, through all the different forms, changes of Mac platforms, etc. Upshot: every document I have is on MS Word. And I have always, ALWAYS, purchased the software outright.

But now I've run headlong into the brick wall of Microsoft's change from sale to rental of the software. (Yeah, I know it was a good while ago, but I didn't really believe I'd be unable to run my old paid-for software.) Anyway, it appears I either have to start forking out $100 a year for the privilege of opening old files if and when I want, OR delay installing any new Mac OS updates (I'm there now but getting nervous), OR discover how to open old Word files on some other software (and hope that the content and the formatting somehow stay intact). Seems to me that there is (or was) a word processing software that was an inherent part of the old Mac operating system, but never used it and don't know where to look for it on my iMac, assuming it still exists. AND even if it's there, I don't know if it's my solution to opening old Word files. Plus, my usual "expert" -- the IT guy from my old agency -- left that job for somewhere else and I don't know how to contact him.

I'm sure other folks have run into this. Are you just forking over the yearly fee to Microsoft? If I HAVE to, I guess I will (though there will be grumbling...that's money out of my GAS budget!). But if anyone can point me to an easy and cheap solution, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dirk
Old 04-21-2022, 02:45 PM
Charter Member

You should be able to open any and all MS Word Docs with Google Docs. It's free and it's easy, and it's browser-based, storing all your files to the cloud so you can access them on any device. Maybe none of that is particularly important to you, but Office support on the mac has long been not worth the hassle and Google docs just plain works.

Beyond that I can't help much, I haven't seen a Word doc in probably almost a decade. Maybe outside of my bubble it's very different but Microsoft just isn't a thing anyone I work with uses anymore.
Old 04-21-2022, 03:00 PM

Easiest, cheapest solution I can think of is Open Access Software. Specifically Open Office for OS:
https://www.openoffice.org/porting/mac/
Old 04-21-2022, 03:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
But now I've run headlong into the brick wall of Microsoft's change from sale to rental of the software.
They still sell the software outright, as far as I know. It's called Office 2021, for Macs and PCs.
But it's not cheap. $250. vs. $100 rental for the Office 365.

The more important decision is the need to upgrade the Mac OS. Don't delay that. Decide soon, if and what MS Office you want, so that you can upgrade your system and patch past vulnerabilities.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-21-2022, 04:12 PM

The free word processing software that Apple makes is called "Pages" and you can download it from the Apple App Store. I've never used it, but I believe it opens Word files.

There are other options (some suggested upthread) that open Word files too.

Myself, I went with the subscription as it gives me 5 active installs between me and my family, and each of us get 1 TB of OneDrive storage as a benefit too. Someone has mentioned above that you can still buy a "permanent license" of Microsoft office, at a price.

All of the options (even the Microsoft ones) will may have a bit of a learning curve if you are deep into highly-formated Word documents or macros or deep functions. I've kept up with Word over the years and so the gradual changes that happen each year haven't been a big learning event for me.

The "highly-formatted" or "macro" exceptions apply to the other programs that read Word format files. You haven't mentioned how heavy-duty a Word user you are.

Guitars: 20th Century Seagull S6-12, S6 Folk, Seagull M6; '00 Guild JF30-12, '01 Martin 00-15, '16 Martin 000-17, '07 Parkwood PW510, Epiphone Biscuit resonator, Merlin Dulcimer, and various electric guitars, basses....
Old 04-21-2022, 04:19 PM
Charter Member

Another possibility is the Open Source (free) Libre Office:

https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help...l-howto/macos/

I have used it on my PC for years, done college term papers with it, various professional documents, etc. It can read and write MS Office format for Word and Excel. If there are macros involved in the MS Office documents, it likely won't handle those, but for general use it works fine.

The link is for the Mac version since that is what the OP asked about.

Tony

"Alexa, where's my stuff?"
- Anxiously waiting...
Old 04-21-2022, 04:28 PM
Charter Member

'Pages' will open MS Word documents just fine. right click on the document and use the 'open with' command, select Pages (you'll have to set the menu at the bottom of the Applications page to 'all' to access Pages). If you're used to MS Word, Pages won't be much of a stretch to learn.
Old 04-21-2022, 04:31 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrankHudson View Post
The free word processing software that Apple makes is called "Pages" and you can download it from the Apple App Store. I've never used it, but I believe it opens Word files.
Yes it does.
That's what I ended up doing when I was first confronted with the same problem. I had Office 2011, and just abandoned it.
I've used Pages for word processing, and Numbers for spreadsheets. But I'm not a heavy duty user.
For the OP:
Pages works well but Numbers is a simpler program and not as multi-functional as Excel. If you are an active Excel spread sheet user (many people are) and use it a lot, it would be worth it for you to get one of those MS-Office programs.
Just my opinion.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 04-21-2022, 05:13 PM

You buy the the Home & Student version of Office. This is what I do. Problem solved.
Old 04-21-2022, 05:20 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AX17609 View Post
You buy the the Home & Student version of Office. This is what I do. Problem solved.
I think I’d try Pages and Numbers first before I signed up for a Microsoft annuity.

Which is exactly what I did when my corporate-sponsored MS Office license expired, and I haven’t needed to spend any money since.
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 04-21-2022, 05:23 PM
Charter Member

I second LibreOffice mentioned above, excellent Open Source software.
Old 04-21-2022, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tbeltrans View Post
Another possibility is the Open Source (free) Libre Office:

https://www.libreoffice.org/get-help...l-howto/macos/

I have used it on my PC for years, done college term papers with it, various professional documents, etc. It can read and write MS Office format for Word and Excel. If there are macros involved in the MS Office documents, it likely won't handle those, but for general use it works fine.

The link is for the Mac version since that is what the OP asked about.

Tony
I run my law practice using LibreOffice...
Old 04-21-2022, 09:35 PM

Just saw yesterday that Microsoft was selling a lifetime subscription to MS Office for $49.99. No affiliation just passing along the info.

https://www.yahoo.com/lifestyle/micr...100005088.html
Old 04-22-2022, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Eastwood View Post
I think I’d try Pages and Numbers first before I signed up for a Microsoft annuity.

Which is exactly what I did when my corporate-sponsored MS Office license expired, and I haven’t needed to spend any money since.
The Home and Student version of Office is a one-time purchase, not a subscription. That’s the whole point. Pages is fine, but I find Numbers unsatisfactory.
Old 04-22-2022, 06:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirkronk View Post
So here's my issue. I'm looking at the upper right hand corner of my iMac screen, where there's a small window with this message: "Upgrade to macOS Monterey." It's been there for a couple of months, maybe more, and normally I'd just click "Install" and follow the prompts and, voila! New operating system.

Problem? This time out, I clicked "Install" (quite a while back) but was flagged with a warning that this new iteration of the OS would not support my version of Microsoft Word (which is probably from 2011 or 2013). So I stopped the install process and that's where I am. Thing is, I've used MS Word since 1988, through all the different forms, changes of Mac platforms, etc. Upshot: every document I have is on MS Word. And I have always, ALWAYS, purchased the software outright.

But now I've run headlong into the brick wall of Microsoft's change from sale to rental of the software. (Yeah, I know it was a good while ago, but I didn't really believe I'd be unable to run my old paid-for software.) Anyway, it appears I either have to start forking out $100 a year for the privilege of opening old files if and when I want, OR delay installing any new Mac OS updates (I'm there now but getting nervous), OR discover how to open old Word files on some other software (and hope that the content and the formatting somehow stay intact). Seems to me that there is (or was) a word processing software that was an inherent part of the old Mac operating system, but never used it and don't know where to look for it on my iMac, assuming it still exists. AND even if it's there, I don't know if it's my solution to opening old Word files. Plus, my usual "expert" -- the IT guy from my old agency -- left that job for somewhere else and I don't know how to contact him.

I'm sure other folks have run into this. Are you just forking over the yearly fee to Microsoft? If I HAVE to, I guess I will (though there will be grumbling...that's money out of my GAS budget!). But if anyone can point me to an easy and cheap solution, I would be very grateful.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Dirk
Even your past purchases are buying a license to use the product - not really own the product. It is similar to music rights.

You don't need Office or Word but the statement from @dirk only reflects his realm. Microsoft's paid tier has a few hundred million monthly subscribers.

You should not use the old software if only for security and that is a reason to keep your operating system up to date too.

Do the OS update and try the free suggestions made here. If you don't like them keep in mind the 1x purchase some suggested but also look at what the Microsoft 365 product is. You get a lot more than Word that may or many not be what you want or need.

For most people the free word processors can work fine. I catch far more complaints about Google's free spreadsheet than the free word processor. By "catch" I mean we give a lot of personal support to our nearly 1000 employees and I'm on a team of volunteers who manage technology for sizable nonprofit organizations.

Use this exercise as a reason or include the tasks to make sure you also have a good backup and security strategy. Apple gives you a little cloud storage and offers more. The paid tier Microsoft 365 gives you a lot of cloud storage. Make password management one of the line items in this exercise if you are not already using a good password manager.

Microsoft Word is interesting when I look at the usage reports. Most who still use it often or exclusively are very much power users or holdouts going with what they know. Each of the past few years has shown a lot of people use notes programs more and more. The Google Suite has a notes program too but it is very basic compared to others.

Mobile is the other thing to consider in this change you see and face. Many use the modern suites so their stuff is seamless or always there whether that's their computer, phone or tablet.

Good luck!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic