The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 04-01-2022, 09:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Just got home from the surgery. The Doc did even more work than originally planned. I’m wiggling all my fingers while sitting here. Stitches come out on the 12th. Return to guitaring starts that afternoon!
Excellent!
Old 04-01-2022, 10:02 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Just got home from the surgery. The Doc did even more work than originally planned. I’m wiggling all my fingers while sitting here. Stitches come out on the 12th. Return to guitaring starts that afternoon!
Glad it went well! Keep it clean!

It was February 2020 when my GP referred me to hospital for two trigger fingers on my left hand.
I've been trying to get them done since then. Last Monday I actually got to see somebody to look agani, and they say i WILL get theduirgery - just ,still donlt know when. I really wanted it between November - Feb but it looks like it will be May-June - which is my busy growing time so my hands will be deep in the soil and hopefully, if I can get my fourth vaccination, I'll risk going to clubs and playing.

I've nearly perfected the way of handling a spade with just thumb and index finger - I moved a ton of cow compost like that last week.

my left had is so stiff now I can no longer make a fist, but somehow after limbering up for half an hour I can play enough to teach.

12 days you say?
Old 04-01-2022, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Wiggling fingers must be a good sign! Here's to some healthy healing and hopefully you won't be too bored, or too tempted, during the next two weeks.
Old 04-01-2022, 01:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silly Moustache View Post
Glad it went well! Keep it clean!

It was February 2020 when my GP referred me to hospital for two trigger fingers on my left hand.
I've been trying to get them done since then. Last Monday I actually got to see somebody to look agani, and they say i WILL get theduirgery - just ,still donlt know when. I really wanted it between November - Feb but it looks like it will be May-June - which is my busy growing time so my hands will be deep in the soil and hopefully, if I can get my fourth vaccination, I'll risk going to clubs and playing.

I've nearly perfected the way of handling a spade with just thumb and index finger - I moved a ton of cow compost like that last week.

my left had is so stiff now I can no longer make a fist, but somehow after limbering up for half an hour I can play enough to teach.

12 days you say?
I'm not saying how well I'll be playing on the 12th, but I do plan to get started again as soon as I can.

I'm sorry to see about all the delays you are having. My trigger finger only started in the Fall and it progressed so fast and painfully, that I didn't want to wait at all. The doc also took a Dupetrens chord out of the palm for that finger and he said that he straightened the pinky pretty well.

As my reward for all of this, I'm thinking of ordering a Custom Shop 12 fret D-18. I also have a really nice offer to buy a used D-15 12fret for about half the price of a new one. Do you know anything about the D-15 12's that come from L A Guitars?

What do you think of those options? Or something else? I want 1 3/4 nut?
Old 04-02-2022, 12:41 PM
Charter Member

The surgery was yesterday, and my hand feels surprisingly good today. The doctor said that I can start playing again as soon as it feels comfortable. I think I'll only be laid up for a few more days.
Old 04-02-2022, 04:20 PM

Outstanding news. Heal fast.

Jeff
Flammang RS35, Flammang el35, SC 000 12 Fret ss, SC H13, SC PJ, Rockbridge 00, Eastman 810ce, Recording King RPH 03, Martin LX (on loan), Martin 0018vs (given to Godson), Lowden F388c (traded), SC OM (traded), Martin OM28v (traded), Martin 00017s (sold), Bourgeois Martin Simpson Slope D 12 fret (sold), Larrivee Parlor (traded), Larrivee L05MT (sold), Gibson LG1 (sold), Seagull Folk (traded)
Old 04-03-2022, 07:52 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
The surgery was yesterday, and my hand feels surprisingly good today. The doctor said that I can start playing again as soon as it feels comfortable. I think I'll only be laid up for a few more days.
Great news. And it's obvious that loss of GAS was NOT a side effect!
Old 04-03-2022, 12:48 PM
Charter Member

Got a letter, actually three ! -My Trigger finger op now scheduled for 20th this m0nth, but not sure it'll happen as I have other procedure booked for the 22nd.

We'll see. Totally the wrong time of year of course - planting due in April/May.
Old 04-04-2022, 04:01 AM
Charter Member

The hand is doing great. I took the big bandage off yesterday. It looks pretty good to me;

I think I'll be getting back to playing by the end of the week. Probably not very well but I will get started. Go me!

The index finger got most of the work and it's still sore. The doc said that he had to ''release the pulley'', which I think is typical, but he also had to remove ''overgrowth'' from the tendon and remove Dupetrens from that area. So things are looking good.

SM, I hope you get some relief soon. Here's an odd thing. When this flared up in the fall, I started taking ibuprofen, sometimes twice a day and it kept getting worse. I stopped taking the ibuprofen about two weeks ago because of the upcoming surgery and it got better. You never know!

Good luck SM. I hope they fing a slot at the hospital for you soon!
Old 04-07-2022, 03:33 PM
Charter Member

Things are getting better. I was able to do a little playing, and started working on ''The Man Who Sold the World''. I've been singing with the guitar muted, just trying to keep something going. I did mostly the same today but it felt good to get a little bit of sound out of the guitar at the end of my practice.

Oh yeah, I put extra light (10-47) strings on my Road Series guitar to help with my comeback. It should help.
Old 04-07-2022, 05:40 PM
Guitar Gourmet

Well, great! Take it easy and allow a good recovery.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 04-08-2022, 10:44 AM

Sheesh..
that picture,, OY VHEY!!!

Wishing you a speedy full recovery..

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 04-09-2022, 06:20 AM
Charter Member

Good news. All my stitches are stillin, they don't come out until Friday. My index finger is still stiff and sore but I can now form chords with it, but only one or two changes until it hurts.

But my pinky and ring finger are doing pretty good and I can play a lot of licks, inros and short solos. I just spent over an hour going through all my songs, just doing the parts that I can play.

I'm having fun learning ''The Man Who Sold the World'', just doing the lick, the opening chord for rhythm, and the base runs.

It's going great!
Old 04-10-2022, 04:16 AM
Charter Member

Big setback. Did too much yesterday. Hand all swollen this morning. Have to lay low for a while.
Old 04-10-2022, 05:27 AM

Quote:
Big setback. Did too much yesterday. Hand all swollen this morning. Have to lay low for a while.
our bodies tell us things, we just have to listen, you're doing the right thing, rest.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic