The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 05-09-2022, 06:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru Edwards View Post
I liked the first 3 seasons of Bosch but I stalled halfway through season 4 many months ago. Found it boring.
Same here Dru. I gave up halfway through 4.

Try Outer Range on Prime and let me know what it reminds you of.
Old 05-09-2022, 06:33 AM
Charter Member

My wife and I love Bosch. We watched the 1st 3 episodes of Bosch Legacy last night, like it too. Yeah it deviates from the books quite a bit at times, yeah there are slow stretches in the original series; so what.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:02 PM
Charter Member

My wife and I watched the new Bosch series, 1st episode, until the 2nd set of ads came on and we could see this was going downhill fast. My wife said, you know, I'm okay with bailing out of this if you want to, because I can see this is just going to get worse.

And so we did. I have gotten used to watching TV and movies without ads. If the ads are going to be part of it, I will not be there. I will just buy DVDs with the money I save from Netflix every month.

I have a niece and her husband who are both established pro-level actors in the New York City area. Every month or two we are told that one or the other will be on such and such a show on CBS or NBC or ABC, and so we watch the show on commercial TV. We are then reminded about how awful all those ads are and how much of the hour they take up. We are so irritated by the ads that we can hardly appreciate seeing our relatives on some well-known national TV show.

I know it costs money to put on these shows and that's how our relatives get paid.

I also know how much I dislike commercials...

By the way, my wife and have read every Bosch book we could get our hands on. Same for the Michael Connelly "Lincoln Lawyer" books. And we have watched all of the other Amazon Bosch series and thought they were well done.

- Glenn
Old 05-09-2022, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

Glenn, how long were the commercial breaks?

I watched the first two episodes and on the first one we had 2, 15 second breaks. On the second episode, I didn't time them but again there were 2, and the second one was only a few seconds.
Old 05-10-2022, 09:21 AM

My wife and I watched the first episode of the Legacy series last night.

I liked it. I've read all of the books (I think) and have liked how the TV series seem to double up on a couple books in one season.

I get how some would find the pace of the TV shows is slow but I've enjoyed all of them.

I don't mind the commercials as I have immediate access to the mute button on my remote.

All in all, I'm looking forward to the rest of the episodes but I wish J Edgar was on this season.

Best,
PJ
Old 05-10-2022, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lowrider View Post
Glenn, how long were the commercial breaks?

I watched the first two episodes and on the first one we had 2, 15 second breaks. On the second episode, I didn't time them but again there were 2, and the second one was only a few seconds.
For us the 2nd break went on fairly long. More than one commercial; I baled out before the 2nd ad was done and the commercial break had been going on at least a minute.

Maybe I was too hasty??? Maybe I will go back and look again.

I may have gotten too impatient in my old age. I have trouble with all the commercials in any sports broadcast, too. So much time is wasted.

For me, it's getting time for me to pull the plug on commercial cable altogether. It's so much money every month and so much aggravation.

- Glenn
Old 05-10-2022, 10:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glennwillow View Post
For us the 2nd break went on fairly long. More than one commercial; I baled out before the 2nd ad was done and the commercial break had been going on at least a minute.

Maybe I was too hasty??? Maybe I will go back and look again.

I may have gotten too impatient in my old age. I have trouble with all the commercials in any sports broadcast, too. So much time is wasted.

For me, it's getting time for me to pull the plug on commercial cable altogether. It's so much money every month and so much aggravation.

- Glenn
Thanks Glenn! My feelings precisely and much better put.
Okay, I will cop to affection for the Subaru driving dogs and the tough pick-up truck cat commercials, but I have seen them only on YouTube.
Old 05-10-2022, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I like anything with William De Vane, ever since he did a killer job as JFK in The Missiles of October. Hell, I even enjoy the commercials for gold and silver he does. Titus Welliver is excellent as Harry Bosch but I have never really warmed up to Madison Lintz as his daughter. She was tolerable but now she’s a street cop?! Sorry, no.
Old 05-10-2022, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Same here Dru. I gave up halfway through 4.

Try Outer Range on Prime and let me know what it reminds you of.
Hey Ernie, I saw Outer Range pop up as a recommended option but never looked into it. Wiki states there's a mysterious black void that arrives in the pasture. Does it have an X-Files flare to it? Looks like the show has some good ratings.
Old 05-11-2022, 04:14 AM

Quote:
Hey Ernie, I saw Outer Range pop up as a recommended option but never looked into it. Wiki states there's a mysterious black void that arrives in the pasture. Does it have an X-Files flare to it? Looks like the show has some good ratings.
Exactly. You’d almost expect Mulder and Scully to show up and investigate.
Old 05-11-2022, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sage97 View Post
Exactly. You’d almost expect Mulder and Scully to show up and investigate.
Added Outer Range to my watch list. Probably start it in the next couple of days given that I just finished another series. Thanks for the heads-up, Ernie.
Old 05-11-2022, 05:20 PM

Quote:
Added Outer Range to my watch list. Probably start it in the next couple of days given that I just finished another series. Thanks for the heads-up, Ernie.
Western Sci-if. Hope you like it, Dru.

Back to the Bosch discussion…
Old 05-18-2022, 09:10 PM

I watched all seven seasons of the “Bosch” series, and have watched the four episodes of the “Bosch: Legacy” that have dropped so far. I’ve also read all the books. I also started watching “The Lincoln Lawyer” on Netflix last night.

Putting the books onscreen inevitably involves changing them somewhat: Bosch’s daughter Maddie is a much more minor character in the books than she is on the show. The actress playing her is very talented, but is a bit too willowy to be believable as a street cop.

But the shows are good. I’m going to continue watching “The Lincoln Lawyer” and when the remaining episodes of “Bosch: Legacy” drop at the end of the month, I’m going to watch them, too.

Hope that makes sense.

Wade Hampton Miller
Old 05-19-2022, 04:56 AM

Short ads with muted sound works for me.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic