The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-26-2023, 02:49 PM

Default Black Mountain thumb picks

I'm thinking of trying these out. But I see an option for normal tension and extra tension. I don't really have a way to try them, so I'm wondering if anyone could give me some guidance on what to expect so I can choose the right one for my style.
Old 01-26-2023, 04:42 PM

Default Finger picks

Here’s another option, this girl has a review of Aleska picks, just to give you another option;

https://www.youtube.com/c/NinaRicciMusic?app=desktop
1968 Aria 6815 12 String, bought new
Old 01-26-2023, 05:01 PM

I have been using notmsl tension ones gor a few years now. Not using anything else. Play mainly fingerstyle but they eork great for picking and strumming too. Cannot offer s comparison with other varieties.
Old 01-26-2023, 09:00 PM

Default Black Mountain thumb picks

Great thumbpicks. I bought an X-tra tension out of curiosity but wish I didn't- too tight. The normal tension fit me just fine.

My right thumb measures just around 73mm. (take a string and wrap it tightly around where you would wear the pick, mark where they overlap, and then lay flat and measure with a ruler).

Last edited by steelvibe; 01-29-2023 at 12:00 AM.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:15 PM

Does the spring make " one size fits all " statement work, this time?

Do they show what medium and heavy gauge picks are in mm?
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-29-2023, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnW63 View Post
Does the spring make " one size fits all " statement work, this time?

Do they show what medium and heavy gauge picks are in mm?

Light .58mm
Med. 1.00mm
Heavy 1.5mm

Can’t tell you if they would truly work for you, but the spring is well thought out to solve the problem of poor fit. Not so tight to give cold thumb syndrome but not lose either. Even my extra tension is more comfortable than most common picks found in music shops, although I don’t prefer it. The regular tension is the most comfortable pick I’ve ever had.

hope that helps
Old 01-29-2023, 01:51 AM

Location: I live in Winter Garden, FL use to live Washington DC area.

This discussion is most excellent. The problem for me I can't find them in any guitar shops so I could try out the size for fit. I have small hands actually many women have larger hands then me. The thumb picks I use are Dunlop large and they are comfortable. Medium is too tight. So what size does that suggest and I think I will start out with the 1.00mm thickness. They way they package them doesn't allow for proper exploring. If I make a mistake in the size for instant and I have three of them. Then its a waste unless I can give them away.

1964 Gibson LG-01 SB think it has Adi top.
2014 Collings Baby 2HE
2016 Nick Kukich Franklin custom 13 fret OM
Brazilian/German 60y/o
Old 01-29-2023, 09:53 AM

These picks changed my whole approach to guitar playing. I can begin learning to flatpick a little because I can focus on the techniques and not on hanging onto a pick. Plus, fingerpicking with alternating bass lines (with the smaller jazz pick) are easier to practice now. Traditional thumb picks would not allow me to play close enough to the strings.

I’m woman with medium hands and short digits, not a lot of reach, leverage or grip strength. The standard spring tension stays on me very securely and comfortably.

To try them out, the sampler 4-pack from Black Mountain is not a huge investment, compared to one Blue Chip pick… just saying. I found good use for each type. Just my own humble opinions…

FG9M Demo (not mine) on YT
https://youtu.be/ccF_U81ozKE?si=IKEBRoWFKcawejXl
Old 01-29-2023, 10:06 AM
Charter Member

Location: North of the Golden Gate, South of the Redwoods, East of the Pacific and West of the Sierras

I agree about getting a sample pack. I prefer the normal tension. I have a woman’s medium sized thumb though have never measured the circumference of it.
Best,
Jayne
Old 01-29-2023, 11:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by docyoung View Post
This discussion is most excellent. The problem for me I can't find them in any guitar shops so I could try out the size for fit. I have small hands actually many women have larger hands then me. The thumb picks I use are Dunlop large and they are comfortable. Medium is too tight. So what size does that suggest and I think I will start out with the 1.00mm thickness. They way they package them doesn't allow for proper exploring. If I make a mistake in the size for instant and I have three of them. Then its a waste unless I can give them away.

If the Dunlop large fits you comfortably I think you would like any of the Black Mountain picks in normal tension (then just pick the pick depth you prefer designated with a red, blue or gray band).

One thing to note is they also have a Jazz tip which is my favorite; less paddle sticking out and also a more pointed profile. All the other picks have a larger pick surface and extend farther from your thumb.
Old 01-29-2023, 12:55 PM

I think the one I had was a jazz pick, but whatever it was called it was way too tight for me. The friend I gave it to seems to like it just fine, so certainly some of the answer has to do with personal preference.
Alvarez 12 String
Gibson ES345s
Fender P-Bass
Gibson tenor banjo
Old 01-29-2023, 01:13 PM

I ordered the "starter pack" with all 4 types ( light, medium, and heavy as well as the jazz pick. I suspect, the jazz pick my be the one , as I tend to shorten normal thumb picks.
1986 Ovation 1758 12 String
2007 Walden G2070
2008 Guild D55 Prototype
1998 Guild Starfire IV
2016 Guild Newark St. X-175 Sunburst
1996 Ovation 1768-7LTD " custom "
Old 01-29-2023, 03:55 PM

I too found the normal tension version to be right for me. But, I'd still buy the variety pack if I was doing it all over again.
Old 01-30-2023, 04:50 AM

I bought both but don't feel much difference between normal and extra tension. I may slightly prefer the stronger tension.
Whatever thumb picks I try, I'm going back to Dunlop white plastic. They just soud better to my ears. Strumming with a thumb pick works, but not very well. To me this is the same with the Black Mountains. Anyway; I love the creativity behing ther products.
Martin D-18MD, Martin OM-21, Martin CEO-7, Martin J-40, Martin 000-1, Guild D-55, Guild D-140, Gibson SJ-200, Gibson Hummingbird, Gibson Frank Hannon Love Dove, Gibson Southern Jumbo, Furch Gc-SR Red Deluxe, Furch Yellow Masters Choice, Larrivee P-03ww, Kawaii piano, mandolines, drumsets, doublebass, Fender Jazzbass, ...
Old 01-31-2023, 05:35 PM

Location: I live in Winter Garden, FL use to live Washington DC area.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelvibe View Post
If the Dunlop large fits you comfortably I think you would like any of the Black Mountain picks in normal tension (then just pick the pick depth you prefer designated with a red, blue or gray band).

One thing to note is they also have a Jazz tip which is my favorite; less paddle sticking out and also a more pointed profile. All the other picks have a larger pick surface and extend farther from your thumb.
Steelvibe

I going to get the normal tension and then if they have a variety pack for thickness that will be the one I buy. In fact going to hit the buy button today! Thanks!

1964 Gibson LG-01 SB think it has Adi top.
2014 Collings Baby 2HE
2016 Nick Kukich Franklin custom 13 fret OM
Brazilian/German 60y/o

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion