The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN

Old 12-22-2022, 01:31 PM
Charter Member

Cool Paul Simon Tribute Concert!

Was surprised that there was not a thread about this show last night... I'm guessing that many folks here watched it, and that many of us have been living with and loving Paul Simon's songs for nearly 60 years!!!

There were some wonderful performances, and some that were "less-than", in my opinion... but overall, it was just wonderful to hear and see the love and appreciation for Paul's songs, especially with him there to receive it all...

The stand out performances, in my mind, were:

Take Six!!! Their rendition of "Homeless", from Graceland was simply the best of the evening, to me. Not even one of Paul's songs (possibly the translation?), but a song that sets/fits the tenor of that record perfectly...

Bonnie Raitt singing "Something So Right"... Brad Paisley's playing fit very well; I knew he could play but this was possibly the first time I heard him, certainly in this context...

The African "Diva" doing "Under African Skies", followed closely by Dave Matthews and "You Can Call Me Al", replete with the closing bass figure from the lone surviving member of those sessions, way back when...

Thank you, Paul Simon, for your exquisite illumination of the human condition, in so many wonderful ways...
and the things I hold dear
are near...
And I always find my way back home."

"Home" (working title) J.S, Sherman
Old 12-22-2022, 03:00 PM

I recorded it last night and am saving it for this holiday weekend. I’ve always had a soft spot for Mr. Simon, being a fellow New Yorker and all. My brother-in-law and I attended his brother Eddie’s guitar school in Manhattan for a few lessons way back in the 70’s. As talented as Paul is/was on guitar, his brother Eddie was ten times better. I was blown away sitting in with him in those classes. He was beyond anyone I had ever seen playing the way he did.

frank d.
Old 12-22-2022, 03:08 PM

Maybe I'm an outlier here, but Paul Simon would not have been where he was as fast as he was without Art Garfunkel. I've read all the articles and such about their off-on / fallings-out, but, not one peep....
Old 12-22-2022, 04:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jseth View Post
Was surprised that there was not a thread about this show last night... I'm guessing that many folks here watched it, and that many of us have been living with and loving Paul Simon's songs for nearly 60 years!!!

There were some wonderful performances, and some that were "less-than", in my opinion... but overall, it was just wonderful to hear and see the love and appreciation for Paul's songs, especially with him there to receive it all...

The stand out performances, in my mind, were:

Take Six!!! Their rendition of "Homeless", from Graceland was simply the best of the evening, to me. Not even one of Paul's songs (possibly the translation?), but a song that sets/fits the tenor of that record perfectly...

Bonnie Raitt singing "Something So Right"... Brad Paisley's playing fit very well; I knew he could play but this was possibly the first time I heard him, certainly in this context...

The African "Diva" doing "Under African Skies", followed closely by Dave Matthews and "You Can Call Me Al", replete with the closing bass figure from the lone surviving member of those sessions, way back when...

Thank you, Paul Simon, for your exquisite illumination of the human condition, in so many wonderful ways...
Paul was just stellar. He sang with what he has left, with intense sincerity and honesty. I wish he’d of done American Tune as, for me, it's a better-written tune than The Sound of Silence.

There were other outta this world performances. Take 6 was un-worldly great. Bonnie was phenomenal.

But dear gracious there were some Titanic, cringe-worthy bombs. If you ignore the intent of the lyrics, to the degree many did, you miss the point of a tribute entirely. I dunno who Eric Church is, but this was absolutely not the time or place for him. I had to turn the sound down and look away.

All in all, however, and as it should be, the tribute reminded me just what a musical gift Paul Simon has been over the years. Iconistic.
Old 12-22-2022, 06:38 PM
Charter Member

Far and away I thought the very best performance was Dave Matthews, Angélique Kidjo, et. al. doing Under African Skies and Call Me Al....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 12-23-2022 at 03:26 PM.
Old 12-22-2022, 09:41 PM
Charter Member

I had taped it and just saw it tonight. Pretty good show overall.
Agree with Take 6's performance. Highlights for me were also definitely Bonnie Raitt and Paisley. They were class. As was Sting I thought, with America, his personal favorite Simon song.
The low light was whoever sang Homeward Bound. Forget his name, but he really missed the mark with his rendition. He must not have listened to or read any of Paul's feelings about what made this song special to him when he wrote it.
To be honest, I thought the 3 songs Simon did were as good as anyone, if not better. Nobody can sing Graceland the way he does. And Rhiannon Giddons was a great choice for American Tune. Lastly, Sounds of Silence was terrific, and sung from the heart.
Very happy that I got to record this one. I didn't even know it was in the planning. I was just going through the channel Guide and spotted it. In time.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann
Old 12-22-2022, 09:45 PM
Charter Member

Thanks so much, streaming it now, would have missed it if not for the AGF!
Old 12-23-2022, 09:46 PM
Charter Member

I watched and enjoyed the music of my life…he and I are about the same age, but he has me beat by miles in the talent department.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:25 AM
Charter Member

Just naturally curious…
Is anyone able to identify the small body slot head Sting was playing?
Old 12-24-2022, 07:36 AM
Charter Member

Haven't seen it yet. I know Sting plays a small Martin 5 series guitar. Either 5-18 or 5-28 Terz.

Cut my acoustic teeth on Paul Simon and S&G songs.

Love his approach to the guitar. Very pleasing to the ear.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Paul was just stellar. He sang with what he has left, with intense sincerity and honesty. I wish he’d of done American Tune as, for me, it's a better-written tune than The Sound of Silence.

There were other outta this world performances. Take 6 was un-worldly great. Bonnie was phenomenal.

But dear gracious there were some Titanic, cringe-worthy bombs. If you ignore the intent of the lyrics, to the degree many did, you miss the point of a tribute entirely. I dunno who Eric Church is, but this was absolutely not the time or place for him. I had to turn the sound down and look away.

All in all, however, and as it should be, the tribute reminded me just what a musical gift Paul Simon has been over the years. Iconistic.
Not taking anything away from Paul as I love his songs, and he is an icon of that era IMHO, but essentially American Tune is actually originally Bach's setting of a hymn “O Sacred Head, Now Wounded” from his St. Matthew Passion isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hjdz4xZF4

Last edited by Cecil6243; 12-24-2022 at 07:58 AM.
Old 12-24-2022, 07:51 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by H165 View Post
Maybe I'm an outlier here, but Paul Simon would not have been where he was as fast as he was without Art Garfunkel. I've read all the articles and such about their off-on / fallings-out, but, not one peep....
I used to say that Simon and Garfunkel were like peanut butter and jelly. Simon being the peanut butter, which is Great with jelly and Very Good by itself.. Garfunkel was like the jelly, Great with peanut butter, but only Ok by itself... Peanut butter could easily stand by itself, but jelly? not quite as much.
While Art Garfunkel had an unbelievably smooth voice the fact that Paul Simon was the main creator behind 90% of their songs speaks volumes of his unbelievable talent; Art Garfunkel's presence was major in Simon and Garfunkel... its almost like his contribution was only 15% but without it, it wasn't close to being the same song.
I thought the tribute show was great. Definitely disappointed with a few of the renditions, but all in all a great tribute to a true American Icon... I was sad that Art Garfunkel was not there, but apparently there is bad blood between the two... I would've love to see Chevy Chase show up during Dave Mathews' rendition of "You can call me Al"
Last night I went on you tube and watched the full show of Simon and Garfunkel in Central Park.... I remember that like it was yesterday.. I was not allowed to go as I was only 14... My older friends went and I was pretty bummed... Watching it last night (I've seen it many times before) just showed how amazing these two guys were... kinda of funny as you could catch a glimpse here and there of a little animosity between the two during the show....
At the end of the day... Nobody could bring life, grace and power to the song "Bridge over Troubled Water" like Art Garfunkel....
Old 12-24-2022, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

If I've ever had a guitar hero, Paul Simon is it. Brilliant arrangements in service of the song.

And geez, the Statue of Liberty didn't even exist when Bach was composing.

Goodall, Martin, Wingert
Old 12-24-2022, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil6243 View Post
Not taking anything away from Paul as I love his songs, and he is an icon of that era IMHO, but essentially American Tune is actually originally Bach's setting of a hymn “O Sacred Head, Now Wounded” from his St. Matthew Passion isn't it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p5hjdz4xZF4
Yes it's always been widely accepted Paul purposely used the melody from that hymn, although I don't ever recall him addressing that directly. But I still think it's one of his best, and like so many of his songs, captures things in a time and place in my life. For me, much like the Beatles, Paul was inextricably woven into the fabric of society at that moment in time. I don't think you see that so much these days.
Old 12-24-2022, 09:59 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joseph Hanna View Post
Yes it's always been widely accepted Paul purposely used the melody from that hymn, although I don't ever recall him addressing that directly. But I still think it's one of his best, and like so many of his songs, captures things in a time and place in my life. For me, much like the Beatles, Paul was inextricably woven into the fabric of society at that moment in time. I don't think you see that so much these days.
He does so in his autobiographical audio book "Miracle and Wonder".
In fact he also sings American Tune in the last chapter, as a sign off or ending. Even with his "old age" voice, he does a remarkable job of it.
I saw him live the year he came out with the tune, and he actually sang it twice! First in concert, and then again as an encore.
Poor Bach. Hopefully he gets royalties in Heaven from all those who have "borrowed" his melodies to craft some of the most beautiful pop songs in the modern era.
Procol Harum's "Whiter Shade of Pale" comes to mind. But they freely admitted it too. Good on them for that.
JS Bach, the greatest of the best. Still paying it forward to this day.

Golf is pretty simple. It's just not that easy.
- Paul Azinger

"It ain’t what you don’t know that gets you into trouble. It’s what you know for sure that just ain’t so."
– Mark Twain

http://www.youtube.com/user/Gitfiddlemann

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > LISTEN