The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 12-01-2022, 08:22 AM

Question K&K Trinity Solo Classic - Which Preamp?

Hi Guys.
First post here for me. I have searched this question on the forum already but I couldn't find any conclusive answer so I wondered if you could help!
I've just had a Trinity Solo Classic (which = Pure Classic Pickup and Trinity Microphone with integrated 5" gooseneck) newly fitted into my Mini Taylor GS guitar, as I've heard it in action before and sounds great.

However I'm super confused about what preamp to use it with. I remember seeing a guitarist using their Solo Classic with a Felix Grace preamp at a gig and he said he was very happy with it. However when I search, a lot of folks (and of course Trinity too) say you should only use this system with a Trinity preamp (i.e. Quantum Blender) - I've also read Trinity changed their systems so they won't work well with other preamps - tho I'm not sure if this is just spin from the company who want you to buy their brand.

I did try connecting it with my Headway EDB-1 2 Channel preamp using a TRS cable into the stereo jack which connected to my AER Combo and it seemed to work ok (though not great) and also EDB-1 doesn't allow me to EQ the seperate channels.

So my question is:
- does anyone have a positive experience of using this system with a preamp other than the Trinity one? If so, which?
- and how did you connect it up? Is it always with a single TRS cable into stereo jack or is it a single jack which splits into 2 outputs?

Thanks!
Old 12-01-2022, 09:23 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum! Don't have any experience with that dual source K&K system but do use the K&K Mini in most all my guitars and typically se a LR Baggs Session DI/Preamp with 1/4" out of the guitar to the DI box and XLR from the DI box to the stage box to the board. Not sure if that helps at all. Maybe someone with the same setup will chime in?
Best of luck and welcome!

Dogs Welcome......People Tolerated!
Old 12-01-2022, 09:29 AM
Charter Member

Welcome to AGF!

Last edited by egordon99; 12-01-2022 at 09:41 AM. Reason: removed reference to wrong subforum
Old 12-01-2022, 05:33 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EsJames View Post
Hi Guys.
First post here for me. I have searched this question on the forum already but I couldn't find any conclusive answer so I wondered if you could help!
I've just had a Trinity Solo Classic (which = Pure Classic Pickup and Trinity Microphone with integrated 5" gooseneck) newly fitted into my Mini Taylor GS guitar, as I've heard it in action before and sounds great.

However I'm super confused about what preamp to use it with. I remember seeing a guitarist using their Solo Classic with a Felix Grace preamp at a gig and he said he was very happy with it. However when I search, a lot of folks (and of course Trinity too) say you should only use this system with a Trinity preamp (i.e. Quantum Blender) - I've also read Trinity changed their systems so they won't work well with other preamps - tho I'm not sure if this is just spin from the company who want you to buy their brand.

I did try connecting it with my Headway EDB-1 2 Channel preamp using a TRS cable into the stereo jack which connected to my AER Combo and it seemed to work ok (though not great) and also EDB-1 doesn't allow me to EQ the seperate channels.

So my question is:
- does anyone have a positive experience of using this system with a preamp other than the Trinity one? If so, which?

- and how did you connect it up? Is it always with a single TRS cable into stereo jack or is it a single jack which splits into 2 outputs?

Thanks!
Here's some information about the three bolded parts from your post:

1) Several years ago, K&K redesigned its Trinity internal microphone so that it would not work if the bias/T-Power voltage from the preamp was greater than 9 volts. Many preamps provide 9 volts or less. Some provide more.

2) I've used various K&K products (including their Pure mini and the Trinity internal mic) with many different preamps. They work fine (except when the bias/T-Power voltage is greater than 9v for the mic). Also, some folks report that unless the input impedance of the preamp input receiving the signal from the Pure mini pickup is 1 Meg Ohm, it won't work quite right. This urban legend is rather overstated and is often confused with how the guitar itself reacts with that pickup.

3) A dual source system will connect to the preamp according to the way the preamp expects those two signals to be provided. Some have two different input jacks. Some have a TRS or XLR single jack which splits the signal into the two separate sources once inside of the preamp. Some will only process one of the signals (usually the tip signal) because they aren't designed for dual sources but only single sources.

Hope that helps.
Old 12-01-2022, 10:07 PM
Charter Member

Welcome to the forum! You will find some very knowledgable and experienced folks here.

One of the things I love about this forum, is you get to learn things you didn't even know you didn't know! . It is not always helpful for curbing GAS urges, however...
Guilds
Gibsons
A few others
2020 macbook pro i5 8GB
Scarlett 18i20
Reaper 7
Old 01-24-2023, 02:09 PM

Thank you so much for the warm welcome on here - and apologies for the extremely slow reply - I somehow couldn't re-find my own post until now!

@sdelsoray this is so helpful, I've been tearing my hair out trying to figure out if it's ok to plug my guitar into a different pre-amp. I've borrowed a Felix Grace preamp and am keen to try it so will need to look into their specs with T-power voltage. Unless someone already has experience of that, or can recommend a pre-amp that works great with the K&K Trinity Solo Classic?

Also - anyone know why did K&K make this change? Seems a little cynical if only to make people buy their products...!

Thanks once again for your time and help!
Es.
Old 01-24-2023, 07:04 PM

I have the various Trinity systems.....I would just get the Trinity Pro as they recommend (works well) and then run it to your Headway or other pre....once you get the gain set, leave the EQ on flat and adjust those on the Headway, less fiddly!

I run mine to the Pro and then to my A&H 4 channel mixer!

BluesKing777.
Old 01-26-2023, 05:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BluesKing777 View Post
I have the various Trinity systems.....I would just get the Trinity Pro as they recommend (works well) and then run it to your Headway or other pre....once you get the gain set, leave the EQ on flat and adjust those on the Headway, less fiddly!

I run mine to the Pro and then to my A&H 4 channel mixer!

BluesKing777.

Thank you for this! So to clarify - I already have the Trinity Solo Classic. But you mean I should potentially change my system to the Trinity Pro? Or supplement my Trinity Solo Classic with a Trinity Preamp?

Seems like a faff / extra travel weight to have to use 2 different preamps in the chain...? Or is there some advantage to that?
Old 01-26-2023, 06:55 AM

Quote:
Thank you for this! So to clarify - I already have the Trinity Solo Classic. But you mean I should potentially change my system to the Trinity Pro? Or supplement my Trinity Solo Classic with a Trinity Preamp?

Seems like a faff / extra travel weight to have to use 2 different preamps in the chain...? Or is there some advantage to that?
Sorry, you have me confused...

You have the Trinity Solo Classic, and a quick google shows me that is the pickup and mic, no preamp at all. Is that right?

If you get the Trinity preamp, it has controls for pickup and mic. They work well, but are miniature dials, so I leave the EQ controls flat and adjust that on my mixer. (Big controls!). K&K have tweaked everything so the mic won’t work properly with any other systems, so....

BluesKing777.
Old 01-28-2023, 05:00 AM

Yes exactly, it's just the pick up and goose neck mic. Ok I see the source of my confusion...I imagine a 'pre-amp' to be something that automatically has EQ etc such as the Headway Preamp. But looks like the Trinity Pro preamp is simply a black box and then you can direct the signal out to an EQ-type preamp (presumably any that doesn't have T-power more than 9volts?).

Thanks for your reply!
Old 01-28-2023, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Yes exactly, it's just the pick up and goose neck mic. Ok I see the source of my confusion...I imagine a 'pre-amp' to be something that automatically has EQ etc such as the Headway Preamp. But looks like the Trinity Pro preamp is simply a black box and then you can direct the signal out to an EQ-type preamp (presumably any that doesn't have T-power more than 9volts?).

Thanks for your reply!

No, wrong.....the little Trinity Pro preamp has separate volume controls for the pickup and mic on the outside of the box, and inside are miniature gain and EQ controls that are so small and fiddly that I leave my EQ flat and do that on my mixer EQ.

Really worth the trouble, sounds great! Plus the mic works!

So, from the guitar output we run the supplied stereo cable to the preamp. From there we have the option of running out by a mono mixed signal in one guitar lead, or 2 separate mono leads with the pickup and mic. If you run this to a channel each on another preamp (your Headway) or mixer, you can adjust the EQs to suit.

Mine was pretty set and forget once I got it how I liked it and honestly haven’t altered it since! I have a number of guitars with the Trinity system and share just one Trinity Pro preamp for all.

My first Trinity system is an onboard self contained model with everything inside the guitar. They make these by order only currently.

What set me on fire was my Matons with dual source onboard system and I went looking for a dual source option for non Maton guitars......the K&K Trinity! Not quite as road ready, but....

BluesKing777.
Old 01-28-2023, 11:31 AM

Ok I understand now. Just ordered my Trinity preamp so excited to see how that works. Will check back in once I got it.

So helpful, cheers guys!
Old 01-28-2023, 06:27 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I've borrowed a Felix Grace preamp and am keen to try it so will need to look into their specs with T-power voltage.
Felix provides 12 volts for the mic.
Old 02-26-2023, 11:02 AM

Default Same problem again!

Hi everyone.
So I wonder if someone can help. I ordered the Trinity preamp - as instructed, fitted the 9v battery into it, plugged a stereo jack from my guitar to input of the preamp, then a mono cable out from the main mix to the mixing desk.

The pick up works, but nothing from the mic. I've tried cranking up the volume of channel 2 but silence.

I am mystified. The only thing I'm wondering is if the system was fitted wrong, so I'm going to go back to my guitar guy and see. But if anyone has any other thoughts, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Old 02-26-2023, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Hi everyone.
So I wonder if someone can help. I ordered the Trinity preamp - as instructed, fitted the 9v battery into it, plugged a stereo jack from my guitar to input of the preamp, then a mono cable out from the main mix to the mixing desk.

The pick up works, but nothing from the mic. I've tried cranking up the volume of channel 2 but silence.

I am mystified. The only thing I'm wondering is if the system was fitted wrong, so I'm going to go back to my guitar guy and see. But if anyone has any other thoughts, I'm all ears.

Thanks!
Only things I can think of are that you have not turned the little miniature gain controls UP A little inside the little preamp box (careful as it does not need much level before distorting).....or the wire of the mic is not soldered properly to the pickup.

BluesKing777.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
k&k trinity solo classic, preamp acoustic, trinity