The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 01-29-2019, 09:26 AM
Charter Member

Default What Humidifier Do You Use - Recommendations

Hello -
I live in northern Vermont where during the Winter humidity rarely rises above 15%. I’m using in case humidifiers right now for all of my guitars and have concurrently used in-room humidifiers previously. I’ve never been satisfied, even with the higher end humidifiers. The last models I used, even with distilled water, still left a white mineral deposit film over my recording equipment, electronics, etc. It was clearly a hassle having to cover everything with a sheet each day.

What brand, model, and price point have you been satisfied with? I will need two use as my music room is rather large. Price is not as much of an concern as efficiency.

Thanks in advance.
Scott

Martin Custom Shop D-42
Noemi Custom Wedge Ebony and Italian Spruce
Circle Strings Koa Custom OM
Circle Strings Bastogne OM
Gibson 1958 LG-1 Baxendale Conversion
Morin 12-Fret 000 Custom
Lowden O-35 Custom
Taylor 514

"Use what talents you possess:The woods would be very silent if no birds sang there except those that sang best".
Old 01-29-2019, 09:49 AM

I also have a large man cave and keep my guitars in racks. I use two Aircare 2 gallon humidifiers. I also have a whole home humidifier that keeps the house at about 34%. The Aircares keep the room at 40% at fan speed 2 on a 45% setting. During dry spells I go through three gallons of water a day most of the time two gallons is normal.
Emerald X20
Rainsong H-OM1000N2
Voyage-Air VAD-04
Custom Les Paul
Hot Rod Deville 410, Fishman Loudbox Performer
Old 01-29-2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BT55 View Post
I also have a large man cave and keep my guitars in racks. I use two Aircare 2 gallon humidifiers. I also have a whole home humidifier that keeps the house at about 34%. The Aircares keep the room at 40% at fan speed 2 on a 45% setting. During dry spells I go through three gallons of water a day most of the time two gallons is normal.
I had an aircare that I bought last year and almost caught on fire this year. So I got an Aprilaire 600 which keeps my humidty at around 25-30% instead of 10% here in Denver. That's high enough for boveda in my case to work without instantly drying out. I have two furnaces and will probably add another Aprilaire to the second one.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Charter Member

We have an Aprilaire whole house humidifier. In addition, I have been using a Venta air washer. Have been using them for years, with good luck.

To keep the dust down, you will need an evaporative humidifier. In addition to the Venta, I have had good luck with this one:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

The down side of the above, is there is not an associated Humidity "thermostat" but, that can be resolved with the external plug that has one built in.

It's a process!
Old 01-29-2019, 10:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by stptak View Post
Hello -
I live in northern Vermont where during the Winter humidity rarely rises above 15%. I’m using in case humidifiers right now for all of my guitars and have concurrently used in-room humidifiers previously. I’ve never been satisfied, even with the higher end humidifiers. The last models I used, even with distilled water, still left a white mineral deposit film over my recording equipment, electronics, etc. It was clearly a hassle having to cover everything with a sheet each day.

What brand, model, and price point have you been satisfied with? I will need two use as my music room is rather large. Price is not as much of an concern as efficiency.

Thanks in advance.
Scott
After years of trying everything, this system works best for me.

D'Adarrio Humidipacks

https://www.amazon.com/Planet-Waves-...98994482&psc=1

Sensorpush hygrometer

https://www.amazon.com/SensorPush-Wi...rds=sensorpush

I will add that the Sensorpush hygrometers are far superior to the D'Addario ones (which I tried but the app was very buggy)
Old 01-29-2019, 10:15 AM

I really like the Venta Airwasher. While they are pricey $$, they are German-built, humidify really well, and don't require any filters.

Here was a good review from Wirecutter comparing this one and a few other models:
https://thewirecutter.com/reviews/the-best-humidifier/

Last edited by shotzy; 01-29-2019 at 02:43 PM.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredmaster007 View Post
I had an aircare that I bought last year and almost caught on fire this year. So I got an Aprilaire 600 which keeps my humidty at around 25-30% instead of 10% here in Denver. That's high enough for boveda in my case to work without instantly drying out. I have two furnaces and will probably add another Aprilaire to the second one.
I'd recommend something like the Aprilaire 600 too.

I have one, these are obviously only relevant if you have a forced hot air system, but if you're complaining about 15% humidity indoors I bet you do.

The 600 series requires a direct water line and it mounts as a bypass in the return of the furnace intake.. it does a partial bypass where it re-injects humidified air back into the outlet of the furnace. To give perspective on the amount of water needed vs what room humidifiers do these are rated at a max of 17 gallons of water/24 hours. You're not doing anything like that even with a 2 gallon in room one without a major PITA.

There is also no standing water in these.. no bacteria/mold growing and getting sprayed back into your house.

You replace a $20 part once a year or so, the computer tells you when to do it, you don't need any tools, 99% of the maintenance you can do yourself, the big one being if the water line clogs from minerals in your water.. you need minimal tools to replace the water line, again parts are really cheap.

Also these have a computer that protects the house.. it knows how to manage the humidity level safely to prevent over-humidification of the house as the weather changes.

Even with that though you're still going to need to case the guitars & use humidipaks or equivalent.. but you wont' be constantly changing the humidipaks. Primarily you need these because the system will drop the humidity below the ideal level for a guitar in extreme cold. (I hear VT had <0 temps last week..)

There are even fancier furnace mount units that use steam so they eliminate some of the maintenance/parts of something like the 600. They are more expensive but not crazy more.. I think the quote was like 2X when we bought our 600 to upgrade to a steam one.

Another option would be to build some kind of cabinet to store the guitars in that had it's own humidification system. I kind of like that idea.. but humidifying your house has health benefits for you.
Old 01-29-2019, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
...I’ve never been satisfied, even with the higher end humidifiers. The last models I used, even with distilled water, still left a white mineral deposit film...
Because those are not "high end" humidifiers. Ultrasonic humidifiers are actually the cheapest kind there are.

The only appropriate way is to use an evaporative humidifier. Ultrasonic (AKA mist, cool, etc.) just atomize water and spray it in the air. Hot humidifiers basically make steam up pump it in the air. An evaporative humidifier (with a wick/filter) actually evaporate water at the rate defined by the dryness of the air.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-29-2019, 11:32 AM

I use a Kenmore whole room humidifier. Fortunately, there are many aftermarket makers of the replaceable filter elements. Set on 45%, it does a good job of keeping the humidity around 40%. Depending on the weather, I have to refill a five gallon tank once everyday or two.
Old 01-29-2019, 11:41 AM

I switched to the Planet Waves Humidipaks back in August. One pack lasted until now, so I will need to get a new one. I like it best because it's a 'set it and forget it' system. I wasn't great about keeping up with the sponge method, so this is ideal and you know they're bad once the gel packs become crystalized (hard like a rock).

My YouTube Grooves
Old 01-29-2019, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Hello -

Thanks in advance.
Scott
I use the Venta running 24 hours and fill it daily and keep my guitars in a rack. I close the door at night and have a separate temp and humidity gauge for the room which is about 250 sq feet. I'm in NY with radiator heat so it gets pretty dry in the winter. I am able to maintain 30% humidity most of the time which has worked so far.

bowerman custom OM 28 style
breedlove oregon OM SMYe
breedlove 000-M deluxe revival
breedlove mc revival OM/AR deluxe (2)
yamaha ls 11 spruce hog mit
yamaha fg 152 spruce hog mij
yamaha fg 110 spruce agathis (tan) mit
yamaha fg 150 spruce (red) (sold)
yamaha fg 75 spruce (red) (sold)
Old 01-29-2019, 12:40 PM
Charter Member

I'm in Buffalo NY. We have a wood-burning fireplace so we exchange a lot of outside air, making it extremely dry.

I run a 5 gallon Essick/Kenmore console humidifier in the main part of the house and a 1.5 gallon Honeywell room humidifier by the bedrooms and in my closed guitar den.

On the driest days (like today) I will go through 5-7 gallons a day.

My guitar den stays at 40% reliably.

Taylor GC7, GA3-12, SB2-C, SB2-Cp...... Ibanez AVC-11MHx , AC-240
Old 01-29-2019, 12:45 PM
Charter Member

Vornado EVAP 40. 4 Gallon capacity. $110 at Home Depot. filters are around 12 bucks to replace as I recall but I haven't had to do so yet.

Covers a 9 x 14 foot room at 40%+ with no problem with a fill up every five days or so. I'm in central Virginia so not as dry as you, but without it added humidity the room gets below 20%. Radiator heat in the house, augmented by an electric heater in the guitar room occasionally.

NOTE: does not have digital hygrometer so you have to set it and check an external gauge. Holds pretty steady once you've dialed it in.

Reasonably quiet - about the sound output of a very quiet floor fan. Satisfied so far - been using it since November.
Old 01-29-2019, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I use the Vornado EVAP40. 4 Gallons. Tap water. I add a bacteriostatic product. Small half a capful per tank at each fill up.

Its cheap, and it does a great job keeping my room above 40%.

Endorse!

https://www.amazon.com/Vornado-Evap4.../dp/B00O0WOO74

https://www.amazon.com/BestAir-Origi...dp/B079T4XXQY/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Cap2.jpg (35.5 KB, 197 views)
File Type: jpg cap1.jpg (33.4 KB, 197 views)
Old 01-29-2019, 01:54 PM

Currently in Minneapolis it is -9 (below!!!) The weatherman says to expect temps to go as low as -29 below zero the next two nights! I live in an old house but in my roughly 400 square-foot guitar room, it's a cozy 74 degrees and 47% Rh... I am very pleased! We needed a new furnace about 5 years ago, I told the furnace man to install the best humidifier he's got. He installed an Aprilaire (600 series) The Aprilaire does a good job in general but simply is unable to keep my guitar room stable at 45% when it's really cold out. (right now the other portions of the house are reading 31-34%) ...I use two Venta evaporative humidifiers to "help" my guitar room. The technique s beautiful. Here's my trick with Venta humidifiers. Say room is 400square feet. Get enough Venta (or it might work for many other brands) "power" for 3TIMES what you think you need! In my case. room is 400 square ft. I "pretend" room is really 1200 square ft. and adapt accordingly. Using two Venta machines, is beautiful. I can run the fans on low or medium. (I hate fan noise in a music room) The added benefit is this "overkill" allow plenty of headroom if one really needs it. Sometimes I like to open the window for fresh air for awhile and the H20 can sneak out pretty fast! The great thing about the Venta, no wicks, no filters, no goofy cartridges to change, ever... No white dust. Fan is quiet. 10 year warrantee! I had one unit that developed a "clicking" noise which I've learned is common. They sent me the plastic "drive gear" component. Easy to deal with service. The design is wonderfully simple, and for me, is the "cats meow!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
humidification, humidifier