The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 06-05-2016, 08:45 PM
Charter Member

Default Taylor necks

Can anyone tell me the width of the fret board at the 12th fret on Taylor guitars (300 series and higher)?
Old 06-06-2016, 08:20 AM
Charter Member

Taylor owners, does anyone have an answer to this question? Is it similar to the Martin performing artist series that has a width at the 12th fret which is 2 1/8 and 2 3/16 string spacing at the bridge?
Old 06-06-2016, 09:43 AM

JP, I just measured my 414ce. Measured from center of string to center of string I get:

neck at nut 1-3/4"
strings at nut 1-1/2"

neck at 12th fret 2-1/8"
strings at 12th fret 1-7/8"

strings at saddle 2-3/16"

I cannot speak to the Martin PA series dimensions, but based on your numbers they look nearly identical. When I want a Taylor guitar, I just buy one - not Martin's interpretation of a Taylor. (Sorry, I could not resist).
Old 06-06-2016, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Actually I love Martins and Taylors. I am looking for a new guitar and would be happy with either one. I played a GPCPA5 the other day at a local shop and the neck width was comfortable. I am looking at the used market for a good deal on either a Martin performing artist or a Taylor 314 and just was curious about the actual specs on the Taylor since they don't post anything other than nut width on their website.

Thanks for the info
Old 06-06-2016, 10:12 AM

Not intended as any kind of criticism, JP - just a gentle poke. Both are fine guitars.

I see Taylor re-voicing lately to sound more Martin-esque and Martin copying the Taylor GA series in terms of visuals and neck feel. Somewhere in there is the RIGHT answer.

The standard 1-11/16" Martin neck no longer works for my left hand. I just sold the last of my four Martin's two weeks ago (a 1990 custom shop J-40 intended to be a lifer) so my transition over to Taylor is essentially complete. Except for my Rainsongs, and my upcoming Blackbird Lucky 13. I am going CF these days for low maintenance and worry-free operation - plus I like composite guitars.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
neck, nut, taylor