The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Old 02-18-2014, 04:57 PM

Default Seam Separation

Hi. I'm new here, but I'm looking for help and I can't seem to find an answer anywhere online. I just bought a used Martin D series acoustic/electric. It looked to be in immaculate condition. This is the first higher end guitar I have ever owned (I know the D series is kinda low end for Martin, but it's the most expensive guitar I've ever been able to own). I've never used a humidifier before nor have I ever had an issue with humidity on any of my guitars before. Anyway, I noticed some buzzing on the high E and it was recommended that I try buying a humidifier and leaving it in the case for a week. I did that and it resolved the buzzing a bit. A few days later however, I took it out of the case and noticed a small split in the seam. Not big, just enough of a separation to get my fingernail under it. I bought a hydrometer (the accuracy of which I seriously question) and did my best to keep it in the 45%-55% range. About a week later the seam started separating in a different spot. Everything I've read online about seam separation seems to point to a lack of humidity as the cause, but none of this happened until I started using the humidifier. Any thoughts? Any ideas or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM

Could you post a photo?
Old 02-18-2014, 05:28 PM

A pic showing the actual location would be helpful.
Old 02-18-2014, 06:20 PM

How can I attach a picture?
Old 02-18-2014, 06:27 PM

http://s752.photobucket.com/user/jay...8bfc8.jpg.html

http://s752.photobucket.com/user/jay...18bf7.jpg.html

The first is the seam I repaired, the second is the second split I mentioned which I haven't gotten to yet
Old 02-18-2014, 06:37 PM

Also, what I think I'm calling the seam may actually be the binding.
Old 02-18-2014, 08:22 PM

What model is it?
It kinda looks like binding separation, but it is also kinda strange looking binding too?

FWIW.... 'over humidifying' can cause some types of glue to soften and let go.....
Old 02-18-2014, 09:11 PM

Is that a Martin HPL "X" model? They seem to separate like that frequently.
Old 02-18-2014, 09:15 PM
AGF Sponsor

You need to take it back to the store to get it looked at. If you bought it online, find the nearest Martin repair guy. It should be a quick fix, and if your the original owner, they'll pay for it.

Kinnaird Guitars - from the oldest town in Texas
Old 02-19-2014, 06:27 AM

Acoustic Soul,
I was curious what the photo of the long crack was. It looks like a glue joint that has separated between two different pieces of wood. Is that a guitar side you are building or working on? In the other photo it looks like the bottom of the guitar is separating at the joint, a warranty job if it is still under it.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:03 AM

I'm not sure what crack you are referring to Armadillo. The first pic is the first binding separation that I reglued. The second is the second separation that I have not yet repaired.
Old 02-19-2014, 07:06 AM

Ben-Had, it is a DX1AE
Old 02-19-2014, 07:11 AM

I bought this used from the original owner about a month ago. It was immaculate and didn't have a problem with it until I started humidifying. I bought two hygrometers (because I questioned the accuracy of the first one) and both are reading between 14%-24% humidity. It made sense to me logically that glue would start to come apart with too much humidity, but the levels are still reading significantly low. Is it really possible that both hygrometers are off by that much?
Old 02-19-2014, 07:36 AM

There are no bindings on these guitars. The back has separated from the linings. This should be fixed as soon as possible by someone familiar with guitars made from HPL. Cannot speak to humidity or the accuracy of your meters but yes I have had some digital hygrometers in the past that were only useful as paperweights. HPL guitars react differently to changes in RH than all wood guitars. The wood moves with respect to RH while the HPL does not. This causes problems like we see here.
Old 02-19-2014, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AcousticSoul910 View Post
Ben-Had, it is a DX1AE
OK, that's what I thought. As Brian said, HPL reacts differently to humidity changes. Don't think it does much to the HPL (which is very much the same material as a counter top). Also, the sides aren't bent like solid /laminate wood sides are. If the top and back are taken off from a body the sides would spring back to a completely circular shape, as such, there's always stress on the joints between the top or back and side. If the joint opens the side tries to splay out and the repairer has to coax everything to line up again. Very difficult without the proper mold. Small bumps seem to send vibrations along those seams and the separation can travel well around the guitar. Handle it carefully and get it fixed ASAP.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Build and Repair

Tags
humidification, seam separation