The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 02-01-2023, 12:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveYem View Post
Thanks for chiming in on this! I suppose I could live with polished and slippery. It's the stickiness that deters me from picking up the guitar. I believe I have some of that Gibson polish in house already so it would be an easy try, and certainly one in which I don't risk removing any of the existing neck finish...
Well, I hope that would work for you, but all I’m removing with the polish is hand oil.

Rereading your initial post, I wonder if a previous owner used a solvent that partially dissolved — and thereby gunked up — the nitro finish on the neck. That might make it behave differently on its surface. Can you take it to an experienced tech or luthier to get an opinion?

If the finish is chemically distorted, it might need to be physically eroded to a uniform thickness and texture. Maybe not all the way down to wood, but to a state where it can be built up again (?).

Don’t take this as fact! I’m going on intuition, not knowledge. This is the Internet, remember.

Pulling for you. Good luck, and let us know what happens.
2019 Martin D-18, LR Baggs Element VTC
2021 Gibson 50s J-45 Original, LR Baggs Element VTC
Old 02-01-2023, 08:17 AM

I appreciate all of the input and good discussion here!
Last night I took a shot at this using a Scotch Brite 7448 Ultra Fine pad. I rubbed the neck very lightly - more like dragging it across the neck as opposed to pressing into it. I also very lightly went over the sides (edges?) of the fretboard which were also noticeable glossy/'sticky'. I followed the Scotch Brite pad with a fresh microfiber towel (one of the nice Meguiar's detailing towels). The result is a nearly satin finish with a hint of remaining gloss visually, but without the 'stickiness' that I had previously. I'm satisfied with the immediate result and will follow up here as I continue to play the guitar to report on how it changes going forward.

I have to say that I prefer the Scotch Brite 7448 to 0000 steel wool because there were no fibers left to clean up.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion