The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-25-2023, 08:03 AM
Charter Member

Default Channel 3 sound Bose S1 Pro

Channel 3 is line in or bluetooth... is there any way or workaround to adjust the sound?
Old 01-25-2023, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveMusic View Post
Channel 3 is line in or bluetooth... is there any way or workaround to adjust the sound?
Plug a mixer into it.

In fact, any box with EQ included (gtr preamp, etc.) probably won't benefit from onboard EQ so you mights as well use Ch3 for that. Beware of any box with a balanced TRS output (for me - Mooer Radar & Yamaha AG Stomp) as that might just cancel itself out when both sides are summed. Using a TS¼"-TS⅛" cable should guard against that (if necessary).

It may be of interest - I plugged my Xvive IEM receiver into the line in (⅛" TRS-TRS, but both units are mono) and the transmitter into an aux out on my mixer and got a very useable sound - totally wireless.

I wouldn't want to rely too much on it but it got me out of a hole that day.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 01-25-2023 at 09:13 AM.
Old 01-25-2023, 09:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
Plug a mixer into it.

In fact, any box with EQ included (gtr preamp, etc.) probably won't benefit from onboard EQ so you mights as well use Ch3 for that

It may be of interest - I plugged my Xvive IEM receiver into the line in (mini TRS-TRS, but both units are mono) and the transmitter into an aux out on my mixer and got a very useable sound - totally wireless.

I wouldn't want to rely too much on it but it got me out of a hole that day.
What about bluetooth... just beam it to a bluetooth mixer connected to the Bose? I've never considered a bluetooth mixer for any application, not sure how they are used.

Seems a bit of a bummer to have to do this. Wonder why Bose didn't include any controls for bluetooth / line in? Cost more, yes, but are they assuming you'd not need it or what?

A simple application would be you also want to use the s1pro as a speaker for listening to songs on your phone. You have no way to adjust the sound without adding more equipment? TIA
Old 01-25-2023, 01:22 PM

Quote:
What about bluetooth... just beam it to a bluetooth mixer connected to the Bose? I've never considered a bluetooth mixer for any application, not sure how they are used.
Be warned that standard Bluetooth has latencies (delay) that are acceptable for playback or speech but unacceptable for live music performance.

1978 Larrivee L-26 cutaway
1988 Larrivee L-28 cutaway
2006 Larrivee L03-R
2009 Larrivee LV03-R
2016 Irvin SJ cutaway
2020 Irvin SJ cutaway (build thread)
K+K, Dazzo, Schatten/ToneDexter

Notable Journey website
Facebook page

Where the spirit does not work with the hand, there is no art. - Leonardo Da Vinci
Old 01-25-2023, 06:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Currie View Post
...latencies...
That's the one.

If you try to b/t a live performance to the s1 by the time it comes out the speaker you'll be a beat or so ahead of it.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:23 AM
Charter Member

Quote:

Seems a bit of a bummer to have to do this. Wonder why Bose didn't include any controls for bluetooth / line in? Cost more, yes, but are they assuming you'd not need it or what?

A simple application would be you also want to use the s1pro as a speaker for listening to songs on your phone. You have no way to adjust the sound without adding more equipment? TIA
I think generally speaking, the third line was meant for exactly this - a way to stream music from a phone or other mp3 type player. As such, there is generally no need for any 'adjustment' beyond volume. What kind of adjustments beyond volume would you need? That said, most decent phone music player apps do have the ability to adjust sound though, so I suppose there is that.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:35 AM
Charter Member

As Methos noted above the third channel was intended for streaming break music when performing. However, I've used a Fishman Platinum Pro preamp to run my Mandolin into that channel. A 1/4" to 1/8" cable out of the preamp did the trick. There's no reverb on that channel, but it seems like we usually play such lively rooms nobody seemed to notice and it sounded great.
Old 01-30-2023, 07:10 PM

Shufflebeat.
How do you plug a Yamaha Mixer into the third channel on the S1 Pro?
What cords are used?

I have been plugging the mixer into channel 2 and that works good but takes up one channel that could be used for something else.
Old 01-30-2023, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by L20A View Post
Shufflebeat.
How do you plug a Yamaha Mixer into the third channel on the S1 Pro?
What cords are used?

I have been plugging the mixer into channel 2 and that works good but takes up one channel that could be used for something else.
What mixer do you use?
Old 01-30-2023, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shufflebeat View Post
What mixer do you use?
This one.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...ith-usb-and-fx
Old 01-31-2023, 02:44 AM

There are a couple of options there. As the s1 ch3 is expecting a signal akin to a headphone output you could use a ¼"-⅛" TRS from the h/p jack. This should be easy enough to find but if not then ⅛"+⅛" with a Sennheiser-style screw-on adaptor on one end is fairly common at various lengths.

I've never seen a lead with ⅛" connectors that would be very robust but some are definitely better than others. I like right-angle plugs that reduce stress on the connection.

Once hooked up you should experiment with the pan control to see what works best. The s1 (if memory serves) just sums the L/R to mono on ch3 and that might better for some signals if pan is set one way or another (unlikely to be an issue but free to try).

Keep a close ear on how your meter levels correlate with any distortion.

Other options exist (TSx2 from the monitor outs or stereo outs) but that would be my first call.

[Edit]

If your mixer is any distance away from your s1 then you could put an ⅛"-XLR adaptor (short cable, not solid lump of metal) on either end of a mic lead of appropriate length. Secure the cable at both ends (tape, reuseable cable tie, elastic) to avoid stress on the connectors.

Last edited by shufflebeat; 01-31-2023 at 02:55 AM.
Old 02-02-2023, 03:45 PM
Charter Member

If you're using a mixer, why would you need to input it to channel 3? Just input into channel 1. Unless you're maxing out the mixer inputs AND still need more in which case just a larger mixer.

When we were gigging with the Bose S1 Pro we ran our mixer into channel one because we needed three inputs - one guitar, two mics. In that case, we ran everything flat, ToneMatch switch to off and set the EQ and reverb on the mixer.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification