The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-27-2023, 07:34 AM

Default Anyone Using Behringer ADI21 With Mag Pickups?

Last night I experimented a bit with using the ADI21’s EQ and tube/mic emulation to process the signal from the Mi-Si Magpie soundhole pickup in my D28. It seems that a little bit of the tube/mic emulation does indeed round out those “plinky” sounding higher frequencies from the Magpie.

I’m wondering if any other forum members are finding the ADI21 useful with mag pickups. The EQ section seems quite adequate and it’s only taking a bit of the tube/mic emulation (9:30 o’clock setting) to round out the mag’s high end.
Old 01-27-2023, 05:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by guitaniac View Post
...round out the mag’s high end.
That sounds like a good description.

I've had three of them; one broke/replaced, one lent out - not returned (replaced), third one still with me.

I don't think they're very good but they are very cheap and may solve a problem at some point, which is good enough (that problem might be someone asking to borrow and I can't say no).

The blend doesn't sound anything like valve/tube sound to me but it does what you suggest and I can see that being an improvement.

I also have a couple valve/tube preamps (ART & it's Behringer clone) which also do what you suggest but also add a little something organic on the midrange which is pleasing, particularly on tenor banjo with piezo.
Old 01-28-2023, 06:38 AM

shufflebeat,

Thanks for your observations on the ADI21. No doubt there are more effective devices for rounding out a mag pickup’s high end. I recall, for instance, that luthier and pickup designer Dave Wendler was very high on the Steel Guitar Black Box tube preamp.

Yesterday I downloaded some new EFX into my A1-Four. I’ll try out the amp and amp cab EFX in my next experiment with taming the mag pickup. The A1-Four’s seven band graphic EQ and it’s semi-parametric EQ have been very helpful in optimizing the other pickups (USTs, iBeam, Lyric & Anthem SL) in my guitars. It would be quite convenient if it was also effective for the mag.

My EQ method with the ADI21 has been to set the mid control on maximum boost, then sweep the frequency dial for the most obnoxious and troublesome tone. When I find that frequency, I experiment with different cut depths at that frequency and adjusting the treble and bass knobs to taste. It seems to work decently well. Of course, I can approximate that technique with the A1-Four’s semi-parametric EQ.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification