The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 03-10-2021, 05:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
Did you figure this out? I have the same issue on my D string.
that "sitar" kind of sound?
never happened before,, happens now kind of thing?

Check the nut slot, they tend to wear in over time, it may be just a nit too low.
Old 03-10-2021, 03:23 PM

Just a wild guess in the dark

Nut ping?

https://www.roadiemusic.com/blog/how...olve-nut-ping/
Old 03-11-2021, 04:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SpruceTop View Post
Most folks will think I'm nuts, and I Love Taylor Guitars but they're the King Of That "String-Ping/Sitar-Thing! Other brands have it too. My thoughts: Since the inclusion of factory-installed compensated saddles on new guitars many years ago, I've noticed an increase in the frequency (number of new guitars) that have what I term "that string-ping/sitar-thing" which is an annoying tinny ping and overtone on either the 3rd or 4th strings, and often both. This can be heard even when fretting these strings so it pretty much eliminates the nut as the culprit. Given the position of the compensation of these strings at the front edge of the saddle, I believe the string-ping/sitar-thing is a result of the string(s) contacting more of the downslope rear of the saddle than do any of the other four strings. This results in less downward 3rd- and 4th-string pressure on the compensated edge of the saddle and may likely cause this annoying tinniness in the tone. Although I've not done it, I believe that shaving away part of the downward curve of the saddle behind these two strings will eliminate "string-ping/sitar-thing" from these strings. Also, could these tinny overtones be more likely caused by the smaller relative diameters of the core and wrap wires for the 3rd and 4th strings?

Any thoughts on the above and what you have done to eliminate these annoying 3rd- and 4th-string tinny overtones?
No thoughts on the above?
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Blue Grass Special/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
Larrivee C-03R TE/Trance M-VT Phantom
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Republic Duolian/Schatten NR-2
Old 03-11-2021, 04:40 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
No thoughts on the above?
I asked a bunch of people about this recently and I feel like you and I are the only ones that hear it. I think I have to accept that this is just ‘normal’ on 90% of guitars and we are the only ones that notice it!
Old 03-11-2021, 04:44 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroUSA View Post
I asked a bunch of people about this recently and I feel like you and I are the only ones that hear it. I think I have to accept that this is just ‘normal’ on 90% of guitars and we are the only ones that notice it!
Thanks, I think you're right, Aaron, and my hearing isn't what it used to be and I can hear it plain as day. I think I'll not mention "That string-ping/sitar-thing" ever again ... Oops, I did it again ...
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-11-2021, 04:50 AM
Charter Member

Thumbs down

Quote:
Thanks, I think you're right, Aaron, and my hearing isn't what it used to be and I can hear it plain as day. I think I'll not mention "That string-ping/sitar-thing" ever again ... Oops, I did it again ...
It’s so obvious and I tried my best to find out what causes it but if non of the pros I asked can hear it or have experienced it before then I have to assume that it is just normal. Very strange.
Old 03-11-2021, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Most folks will think I'm nuts, and I Love Taylor Guitars but they're the King Of That "String-Ping/Sitar-Thing! Other brands have it too. My thoughts: Since the inclusion of factory-installed compensated saddles on new guitars many years ago, I've noticed an increase in the frequency (number of new guitars) that have what I term "that string-ping/sitar-thing" which is an annoying tinny ping and overtone on either the 3rd or 4th strings, and often both. This can be heard even when fretting these strings so it pretty much eliminates the nut as the culprit. Given the position of the compensation of these strings at the front edge of the saddle, I believe the string-ping/sitar-thing is a result of the string(s) contacting more of the downslope rear of the saddle than do any of the other four strings. This results in less downward 3rd- and 4th-string pressure on the compensated edge of the saddle and may likely cause this annoying tinniness in the tone. Although I've not done it, I believe that shaving away part of the downward curve of the saddle behind these two strings will eliminate "string-ping/sitar-thing" from these strings. Also, could these tinny overtones be more likely caused by the smaller relative diameters of the core and wrap wires for the 3rd and 4th strings?

Any thoughts on the above and what you have done to eliminate these annoying 3rd- and 4th-string tinny overtones?
Yes, I purchased a bone saddle and filed a groove behind the D and G string. It did help my issue. This also took some of the harsh, mid overtones out. May not help anyone else but for $15.00 for a new saddle, it’s seem cheap enough to try.
Old 03-11-2021, 10:18 PM

Have you tried taking the G string off and putting regular underpants on...

Martin D-28 Satin
Fender American Ultra Telecaster
Old 03-12-2021, 04:31 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
Yes, I purchased a bone saddle and filed a groove behind the D and G string. It did help my issue. This also took some of the harsh, mid overtones out. May not help anyone else but for $15.00 for a new saddle, it’s seem cheap enough to try.
Thank you for your fix and I'm glad it worked for you. I, and others, will have to give this quick and easy fix a try!
Ovation Custom Legend LX
Guild F-212XL STD
Huss & Dalton TD-R
Taylor 717e
Taylor 618e
Taylor 614ce
Larrivee D-50M/HiFi
Larrivee D-40R Sunburst
RainSong BI-DR1000N2
Emerald X20
Yamaha FGX5
Old 03-15-2021, 04:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty C View Post
I have tried this with a micarta saddle as well and it does help IMO.
Old 03-21-2021, 05:51 PM
Charter Member

If I take out my hearing aids I don't notice it any more. Another quick and useless fix!
Old 02-18-2023, 09:18 AM

I ran into this same issue with my Breedlove and I initially wrote it off as a flaw inherent to the design of the guitar. I knew the sound was coming from the bridge area but I never could truly isolate it. After a week of troubleshooting I decided to give in and return it; soon after I'd invest in a Taylor 110e. I played the Taylor for probably 30min-1hr in the acoustic showroom at Guitar Center. No buzz, no ping/metallic ringing, nada. Not that I could tell at least. That showroom seems to have magical properties that mask any imperfections that would otherwise be apparent on the instrument outside of that room LOL. At any rate, got the Taylor home and without the need for trying to be quiet around guitar center customers anymore, I strummed and picked like I normally would...which is a bit more aggressive than I had strummed/picked in the store. The ping stood out like a sore thumb, and I was back to square one.

After spending yet another week or two reading forums, this guitar forum being one of them, I put some of your comments to the test. Lo and behold, sanding down the saddle (it had high action out of the box) and filing down the backslope of the saddle that leads to the bridge pins did the trick. That and switching out the Elixirs for D'addarios and some truss rod adjustments. here's some pics on the end result:

https://imgur.com/a/6ZJZISp

I hope that helps

Last edited by rbcorley85; 02-18-2023 at 09:19 AM. Reason: image wouldn't show
Old 02-18-2023, 09:25 AM

that does sound like a low nut slot.

left that up with anyting, paper, tin foil, and see if you still hear it.

there's a process with super glue and either dust from a bone nut or baking soda to fill the slot.
youtube will have lots of vids on the process

IME it's not 100% a permanent fix, replacing the nut is. Without a set of nut files, it's not a DIY job.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Tags
nut, ping, saddle, taylor