The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-21-2016, 07:27 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atalkingsausage View Post
I'm thinking about sanding the saddle down on my J15 a little, but It looks like a thicker saddle than anything i've ever seen readily available at the local music store, and I would really prefer to not end up having to replace it with a generic one anyway. Has anyone ever messed this up?
Go to frets.com and they will show you how to sand a saddle the correct way. Do not cut corners, do it just like they recommend.

The only way you can mess it up is if you go to low. But if you do what fret.com says to do, or any number of other sites that discusses this, you cannot mess it up. I just did my first one on a brand new bone saddle and I had to even take some of the side off to make it fit, but it's perfectly fine.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Thanks for the advice guys, I've done other saddles in the past but I'm paranoid about this one. I may look into getting one of Bob colosi's bone replacements and see if I like the tone from that.
I sent my original to Bob because I wanted to make sure I would have very little if any work to do. I was also having the Element pickup removed, so he made it a hair taller. Since it was not my only guitar, I did not mind not being able to play it for a couple days.

The outcome - LOVE IT!!
Old 04-21-2016, 07:29 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I'm thinking about sanding the saddle down on my J15 a little, but It looks like a thicker saddle than anything i've ever seen readily available at the local music store, and I would really prefer to not end up having to replace it with a generic one anyway. Has anyone ever messed this up?
Hi ATS

Before you sand the saddle, you need to check the string heights in the nut slots, and the relief of the neck. The saddle is the last piece of improving/changing the action which is executed.

If you don't know how to check string height, or adjust relief, then perhaps you need to locate a tech who does. Just sanding down the saddle may indeed has side-effects you will have to deal with later.

It's not terminal, and saddles on guitars are like shocks on cars - replaceable and the new ones may be better than the originals. Bob Colosi (guitar saddles dot com) builds them from scratch so even if you mess it up, you can get a high quality replacement for a reasonable cost.

And it won't be made out of plastic which at least some of the ones at local music stores are.

Baby #1.1
Baby #1.2
Baby #02
Baby #03
Baby #04
Baby #05

Larry's songs...

…Just because you've argued someone into silence doesn't mean you have convinced them…
Old 04-21-2016, 07:41 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
The only way you can mess it up is if you go to low.
While that may be true if you follow the Frets.com recommendations carefully, more generally, there are other ways to mess up. One of the most common errors is not getting the bottom of the saddle dead flat. Another is getting it dead flat but not perpendicular to the face of the saddle. Either of these mistakes will result in poor contact between the bottom of the saddle and the floor of the slot. Now there's a tone-robber for ya. It's even worse if there's a UST installed as the pressure on the pickup will be uneven across the strings.
Old 04-21-2016, 08:10 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by devellis View Post
While that may be true if you follow the Frets.com recommendations carefully, more generally, there are other ways to mess up. One of the most common errors is not getting the bottom of the saddle dead flat. Another is getting it dead flat but not perpendicular to the face of the saddle. Either of these mistakes will result in poor contact between the bottom of the saddle and the floor of the slot. Now there's a tone-robber for ya. It's even worse if there's a UST installed as the pressure on the pickup will be uneven across the strings.
yes I know, I did that. Was it you who told me what the issue might be? In any event I thought it was on frets.com where they said to sand with a straight edge on one side to make sure it stayed flat. And they say to sand it on a flat surface.

where I messed up was I thought my wood working skills would allow me to keep it straight without using a flat edge as a guide.

But it could have been somewhere else I read those warnings. But yes I agree with you. what I meant was if you follow the instructions and use those precautions it will be difficult to screw it up. But I have faith in humans and I do understand many of us could screw up changing a light bulb.
Old 04-21-2016, 10:45 AM

I feel like it's the give a man a fish or teach him to fish thing...pay $25 for an extra saddle and learn how to do it yourself or keep paying someone $25 every time you need it done. Mistakes are the price we pay for experience. This one is an easy learn easy fix. Your guitar your call but I say go for it!
Old 04-21-2016, 10:54 AM

Hey guys, just to clarify, I have sanded saddles before, I actually have a tusq saddle that I sanded in my other gibson as we speak. But I always freak out about making sure the bottom is 100% flat and level, and doing this process by hand with a flat surface and some sandpaper is what makes me nervous. Mostly just wondering if anyone has maybe sanded one not so perfectly, and ended up with a dead sounding guitar.
All the instruction, help and input being so quickly provided by so many of you guys, is super appreciated as always. I love this Forum!

2019 j45 Studio

Fender Stratocaster

Fender Jazz Bass

Vox AC15
Old 04-21-2016, 04:30 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFCRetired View Post
yes I know, I did that. Was it you who told me what the issue might be? In any event I thought it was on frets.com where they said to sand with a straight edge on one side to make sure it stayed flat. And they say to sand it on a flat surface.

where I messed up was I thought my wood working skills would allow me to keep it straight without using a flat edge as a guide.

But it could have been somewhere else I read those warnings. But yes I agree with you. what I meant was if you follow the instructions and use those precautions it will be difficult to screw it up. But I have faith in humans and I do understand many of us could screw up changing a light bulb.
Believe me, you're not the first or the last to mess up sanding a saddle. Most of us learn the hard way. I certainly did.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Tags
action, gibson, height, lower, saddle