The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification

Old 01-28-2023, 03:14 AM

Default Pedal help!

Hi guys and gals

Basically my set up ATM is a line array speaker , Taylor 214cek and a t rex soul mate acoustic.

My issue (totally not an issue but more out of interest and making a bit of money) is:

I don't touch anything on the soulmate, I thought I would, but basically I use the compressor, a bit of reverb and EQ and that's pretty much where it stays for the whole gig and I really like the sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a pedal that would do all this at a lower cost? I realise the t rex is fairly expensive and if I could make a bit of cash that's always welcome. I've had a tc play acoustic and didn't like the sound I got from the guitar.

Cheers!
Old 01-28-2023, 08:47 AM

Why fix it if it ain't broke? A decent EQ pedal would be $100. Same for a compressor. Reverb $150+. Also, the T-Rex is acting as a DI which is another $100+ for a clean one. And with only those pedals, you'd probably want modulation and or delay later down the road as your music tastes may change. And want to experiment with looping which would be another $300. So if you're happy with your tone now, I'd stick with what you have.

I have a couple pedals on my big board that are there. I rarely use them. But they're there when I need them.
Old 01-31-2023, 05:50 AM

Agere with YamahaGuy. I noticed you said you like the sound you’re getting now. By the time you arrive at another combination of comp, eq and reverb that you like, you will have spent at least the proceeds from selling the Soulmate.
Old 01-31-2023, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterExploder9 View Post
Hi guys and gals

Basically my set up ATM is a line array speaker , Taylor 214cek and a t rex soul mate acoustic.

My issue (totally not an issue but more out of interest and making a bit of money) is:

I don't touch anything on the soulmate, I thought I would, but basically I use the compressor, a bit of reverb and EQ and that's pretty much where it stays for the whole gig and I really like the sound.

Does anyone have any suggestions for a pedal that would do all this at a lower cost? I realise the t rex is fairly expensive and if I could make a bit of cash that's always welcome. I've had a tc play acoustic and didn't like the sound I got from the guitar.

Cheers!
Can you get by with the EQ and reverb on your "line array speaker"?

My philosophy tends to align with "simpler is better", buy YMMV. I don't find a compressor adds much to an acoustic guitar's overall sound and if you use enough to make it noticeable the sound has a "thick" quality that wears thin before long. If you really need compression there are cheap pedals available.
Old 01-31-2023, 10:42 AM

This thread makes me think of the old Jimmy Martin song. “Hold watcha got, I’m a comin’ home baby, Hold watcha got and I don’t mean maybe…”
Old 02-01-2023, 02:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudy4 View Post
Can you get by with the EQ and reverb on your "line array speaker"?

My philosophy tends to align with "simpler is better", buy YMMV. I don't find a compressor adds much to an acoustic guitar's overall sound and if you use enough to make it noticeable the sound has a "thick" quality that wears thin before long. If you really need compression there are cheap pedals available.
Annoyingly it doesn't have any of it, I was looking to swap for one of these all in one pedals that also works as a vocal pedal like the Boss VE8 or something, but the other guys are right I could get that and hate the guitar sound.

I think I'm going to get a separate vocal pedal or something just to add something, and I'm looking at getting a kick drum sort of pedal
Old 02-01-2023, 12:55 PM
Charter Member

I'm liking my Fishman ToneDeq for guitar. Does what I want. Delay, Reverb, COmpression, EQ. But not for vocal.
Old 02-01-2023, 06:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marshall View Post
I'm liking my Fishman ToneDeq for guitar. Does what I want. Delay, Reverb, COmpression, EQ. But not for vocal.
I’m pretty much low tech but the ToneDeq works for me as well.
Old 02-06-2023, 01:45 AM

I guess more of what I was getting at is can I have something that delivers as good a tone as the TRex for less money.

I don't loop or really use effects other than a slight reverb I'm more looking for a just "natural" acoustic sound which obviously isn't THAT achievable but as close as.

And I'm trying to get in the mindset that being expensive isn't always necessarily better. I've ordered an external mixer with some reverb on it (for my mic and stomp box really) can I just run the guitar through that and EQ it and use the reverb on there, will it really be £300 lesser sounding? Or even do I just get a small cheaper DI I'm not that clued up with pedals which is why I went for the soulmate as a sort of all in one and so I could eq the guitar as the Bose doesn't really allow that. Now with the mixer do I actually need it?

I suppose I'll just try and see but that's probably a clearer explanation of where I was getting at haha, also if I could sell the t rex for a decent price (which I think they do go for) I could certainly use the money

Gigging around 5-8 times a month

Thanks for all the replies guys this forum is great!

Last edited by MasterExploder9; 02-06-2023 at 01:53 AM.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Acoustic Amplification