The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-04-2023, 09:38 PM

The X10 Slimline Nylon I wanted is gone.
There's a more expensive one...but I had talked myself out of wanting the vibrant blue, not worth the upcharge.

So now I'm dithering to decide if I should grab it for $500 more than I was budgeting, or just order custom and get *exactly* what I want.

It helps that I still haven't *quite* gathered up the cash...but having to go $500 more just moves it slightly farther out of reach.

I guess I'll pretend it is up to fate.
Rainsong Flamenco Nylon (SN#120)
Composite Acoustics 5iM-CE (GXi)
Cordoba Stage
Enya NexG 2, Mountain Guitar, Luna Tribal
Old 11-05-2023, 09:51 AM

Default I need more enabling

where are all the reviews of the X10 Slimline Nylon?

I've searched this website, and YouTube, and the open web, and I really can't find anything.

The tone example clips really don't do it for me. He's playing with a really light touch, going for a jazz aesthetic in my opinion. Nylon does that well, but I want to hear what classical, flamenco, and aggressive fingerstyle sound like on one.

What I'm wrapping myself around the axle about right now is I already have an X20 nylon. If the X10 Slimline Nylon doesn't really sound any different, there's not much reason to go for it.

I already have Cordoba Stage, but it isn't carbon fiber.
I also already have a Journey OC660, which is carbon fiber and has a more typical nylon string tone, but feeds back too easily plugged in.

So I don't want to spend $3k on a guitar that doesn't differentiate itself much from what I already have.

One solution would be to just order one with the 15% off. Then I could make it much more like a carbon fiber classical guitar, get the flat fingerboard and 2" nut. But that's already $3700 with just an LR Baggs Element, or nearly $3200 with the discount.

My final option would be to get one like I've acquired my only two Emeralds so far: wait for someone to sell one to Guitar Center.

That's kind of hit and miss (although I've been INCREDIBLY lucky so far).

Enable Me!!!
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-05-2023, 10:13 AM

Default An Idea: Two Options

Option 1:
I have until 9 November, I think, to return the first Emerald (X20 Nylon) to Guitar Center.

That would put $2400 back in my account.

Then the in-stock X10 Slimline Nylon would just be $600 out of pocket and even if it sounded mostly the same as the X20 Nylon, there would only be one guitar occupying that niche.

Option 2: The main reason I got the 2nd Emerald from Guitar Center (X10 steel string) was really because it had the Hexpander midi system. That enables better guitar transcription and gives me some room for growth in midi features in the future. That, and the 10% sale *and* the fact that I could return it if it didn't wow me.

It did wow me, but it's kind of in the middle between my CA Cargo and my CA GXi. I did think about selling those two, but they have different functions in my stable: impressive-sounding travel guitar and deep/boomy Jumbo. If I sold them, I'd just have to spend more money replacing them. So I took them off the market and they aren't going anywhere.

So if I returned that one, I could order an X10 Slimline Nylon with the Hexpander and go to town on the options: Hexpander, flat radius, wide nut, *and* slotted headstock (which the in-stock doesn't have). With the discount, it sets me back $4200, but that's offset by the $2300 from the return to Guitar Center.

Biggest obstacle: not enough reviews of the X10 Slimline Nylon for me to know if any of this is worth even spending this much time dithering.
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-05-2023, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brainfertilizer View Post
Option 1:
I have until 9 November, I think, to return the first Emerald (X20 Nylon) to Guitar Center.

Then the in-stock X10 Slimline Nylon would just be $600 out of pocket and even if it sounded mostly the same as the X20 Nylon, there would only be one guitar occupying that niche.
FWIW refunds generally take 3-5 business days to show up in your account. Don't know if that makes a difference in your figuring...
Old 11-05-2023, 11:24 AM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by RP View Post
FWIW refunds generally take 3-5 business days to show up in your account. Don't know if that makes a difference in your figuring...
it's a good reminder, but debits/credits are more end-state accounting than actual bank account numbers.

The miracle of PayPal Credit with 0% interest.
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-05-2023, 01:12 PM

Quote:
Option 1:

Option 2: The main reason I got the 2nd Emerald from Guitar Center (X10 steel string) was really because it had the Hexpander midi system. That enables better guitar transcription and gives me some room for growth in midi features in the future. That, and the 10% sale *and* the fact that I could return it if it didn't wow me.

It did wow me, but it's kind of in the middle between my CA Cargo and my CA GXi. I did think about selling those two, but they have different functions in my stable: impressive-sounding travel guitar and deep/boomy Jumbo. If I sold them, I'd just have to spend more money replacing them. So I took them off the market and they aren't going anywhere.

So if I returned that one, I could order an X10 Slimline Nylon with the Hexpander and go to town on the options: Hexpander, flat radius, wide nut, *and* slotted headstock (which the in-stock doesn't have). With the discount, it sets me back $4200, but that's offset by the $2300 from the return to Guitar Center.

Biggest obstacle: not enough reviews of the X10 Slimline Nylon for me to know if any of this is worth even spending this much time dithering.
I think your last sentence says it all? Maybe you should engage Emerald with a chat to determine whether or not the X10 Slimline Nylon might be a better fit for you than X20 Nylon??

Last edited by dgaemc2; 11-05-2023 at 02:01 PM. Reason: Correction
Old 11-05-2023, 06:12 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgaemc2 View Post
I think your last sentence says it all? Maybe you should engage Emerald with a chat to determine whether or not the X10 Slimline Nylon might be a better fit for you than X20 Nylon??
I remember a former participant here (Evan) who got the first X10 slimline nylon, even before the redesigned X10 in 2018. It was a gorgeous red tint CF weave. At the time, he was on a life quest to find the best sounding carbon fiber nylon - he spent quite a while lobbying Alistair to custom create that X10 slimline. Evan said he was surprised by how well the X10 slimline nylon projected, considering the thinner body. As I recall, when playing with a group of people, Even amplified the X10 slimline to keep up.

Now, all that said, you can't overcome physics. Someone feel free to correct me, but a slimline X10 can't push as much air as an X20. I am no nylon guitar authority, but if the guitar is going to be played plugged in most of the time, it won't matter, and the X10 slimline is going to be far more comfortable that a full-size X20.

I have an X10 and an X20 (both full body) and a Virtuo (which is essentially the same body at an X10 slimline, but with different pickups). The Virtuo is the most comfortable of the bunch. My music partner has an X10 slimline (steel string) - when I played it last week, it felt the same as my Virtuo. Acoustically, the Virtuo is thin and quiet compared to any of my acoustics - but plug it in, and it is a delight.

It comes down to how you will use the guitar. If any amount of acoustic only is in the cards, I'd be hard-pressed to give up the X20 for an X10... of course, all my experience is with steel strings, so I may be off-base here.
Old 11-05-2023, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
I remember a former participant here (Evan) who got the first X10 slimline nylon, even before the redesigned X10 in 2018. It was a gorgeous red tint CF weave. At the time, he was on a life quest to find the best sounding carbon fiber nylon - he spent quite a while lobbying Alistair to custom create that X10 slimline. Evan said he was surprised by how well the X10 slimline nylon projected, considering the thinner body. As I recall, when playing with a group of people, Even amplified the X10 slimline to keep up.

Now, all that said, you can't overcome physics. Someone feel free to correct me, but a slimline X10 can't push as much air as an X20. I am no nylon guitar authority, but if the guitar is going to be played plugged in most of the time, it won't matter, and the X10 slimline is going to be far more comfortable that a full-size X20.

I have an X10 and an X20 (both full body) and a Virtuo (which is essentially the same body at an X10 slimline, but with different pickups). The Virtuo is the most comfortable of the bunch. My music partner has an X10 slimline (steel string) - when I played it last week, it felt the same as my Virtuo. Acoustically, the Virtuo is thin and quiet compared to any of my acoustics - but plug it in, and it is a delight.

It comes down to how you will use the guitar. If any amount of acoustic only is in the cards, I'd be hard-pressed to give up the X20 for an X10... of course, all my experience is with steel strings, so I may be off-base here.
Captain Jim, as usual I agree with you! I actually love my X10 Slimline (steel string) and it sounds surprisingly good acoustically. That said it can't compete with my full size X10 or X20 acoustically (both are steel string versions), but it's super comfy to play! I always plug in all 3 of these guitars when playing an acoustic duet with my friends so all of them work well for that scenario. I usually plug-in my X10 Slimline and sometimes X10 & X20 when practicing alone because it sounds so good amplified!

However, I don't have any experience with Emerald Nylon guitars so can't help brainfertilizer with his questions. Also the nylon versions seem to offer the most combinations of pickups. I love the Ghost Piezo + Krivo that I chose on my X10 & X10 Slimline, and the Ghost Piezo + K&K on my X20. The ability to blend the Ghost with Krivo or K&K is where I find my preferred plugged-in tones!

The same would probably also apply to the Emerald Nylon versions, but I actually think the LR Baggs Element might sound great on their nylon guitars because it certainly does on my Synergy Uke!

Last edited by dgaemc2; 11-06-2023 at 04:39 AM. Reason: Updated content
Old 11-05-2023, 09:26 PM

Now *this* is some top-quality enabling!!
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-06-2023, 04:40 AM

Quote:
Now *this* is some top-quality enabling!!
Lol

Your questions are tough to answer. Best that you reach out to Emerald for some guidance!
Old 11-06-2023, 05:22 AM

no, really. I want to order one more after reading your posts.

I'm not sure Emerald is going to be that much help, because it's not like they're going to say: "Nah, you're not going to be happy with one of our guitars."

Caveat Emptor always applies.

I'm leaning very close to returning BOTH to Guitar Center and then just ordering one with all the bells and whistles.

That's where they can help, I guess, by letting me know how long I'd probably have to wait.
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-06-2023, 07:22 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
no, really. I want to order one more after reading your posts.

(snip…)

That's where they can help, I guess, by letting me know how long I'd probably have to wait.
From the Emerald FAQ:

How long does it take to get an Emerald Guitar?

We usually carry a wide array of finished stock that can be shipped out immediately. Custom builds will currently take approximately 2 months.

HTH
Cordoba Stage

Some of my tunes: https://youtube.com/user/eatswodo
Old 11-06-2023, 10:30 AM

Default Thanks for indulging my angst-ridden thoughts on my guitar stable

Perfect timing! I was just browsing around on the website trying to find that info!

2 months isn't so bad...

I tihnk at this point, I'm probably going to get an X10 Slimline Nylon.

The only question remaining for me is, do I:
1) return both my current Emeralds to Guitar Center and go all out (flat fretboard, 2" nut, slotted headstock & Hexpander midi)?
2) return the X20 to Guitar Center and buy the vivid blue X10 Slimline Nylon that's currently in stock?
3) keep both Emeralds and conduct a fire sale on all the gear I want to sell, hoping that the blue X10 in stock is still there 2 weeks from now when I have confirmed I can afford it?
4) Keep both Emeralds, conduct the fire sale, and buy a half-custom version (basically, just the flat fretboard and wider nut, no hexpander or slotted headstock)?

Right now, my guitar stable has some pretty clear roles:
The X20 Nylon is my nylon-string Emerald. I do have a Journey Overhead classical, but it seems more like a toy than the Emerald.
The X10 steel string has the Hexpander and the humbucker.
The Cordoba Stage has the flat fretboard and wide nut and the plinky tone I really like.
The Journey is a great travel nylon string. Also fairly good classical guitar tone.
The Cargo is a great travel steel string, and also short scale for some of my more stretchy/wide finger spread songs.
The GXi is my deep/boomy Jumbo.

I don't really need the X10 humbucker.
If I get an X10 Slimline Nylon, maybe I don't need the X20 anymore.
If I get an X10 Slimline Nylon customized to my preferences, I don't need the X10 steel anymore, since it really seems to cover the same tonal ground as the Cargo.

Then again, I don't REALLY need a deep/boomy jumbo. So if I keep the X10 steel, I could get rid of the GXi *and* maybe the Cargo...I wouldn't have the short scale, but that's more nice-to-have than MUST have.

The more I talk through this, the more I think I really need to do a custom guitar with the wide nut and flat fretboard. That would really distinguish it from any of my other carbon fiber guitars.

And then as soon as I type that, the thought rises up unbidden that the normal nut width and compound 12"-14" radius neck isn't stopping or even really hindering me from playing anything I want to play.

So I could just get the in-stock one now, and maybe in 5 years or so, I can think about getting a full-on custom one for a special occasion.

One of the reasons this is an issue I'm struggling with is my wife is out of the country until mid-December, and I promised her I would have my guitar situation figured out and wouldn't buy another guitar for at least 5 years.

I honestly think I can do that.

IF I can figure out what I really want within a week. (A guitar arriving after she gets back would not be a violation if it was ordered/purchased in November).
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-06-2023, 10:45 AM

Default Decision Made

Okay, typing out all that crap helped.

I want an X10 Slimline Nylon.
I don't want to return the two Emeralds I already have. They are too good, too pretty, I got them for too cheap to let them go.

I will get the one in stock.

If it really doesn't exceed my X20 nylon by as much as I think it will, I can return it and only be out the shipping. Worth it to KNOW.

If I love it so much I never play the X20 Nylon, I think I can still sell the X20 without losing any money.

And then I can either start the countdown for my purchase of a fully customized version in 5 years, or I can fall so in love with it that I don't even want to replace it.
Cordoba Stage
Old 11-06-2023, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Okay, typing out all that crap helped.

I want an X10 Slimline Nylon.
I don't want to return the two Emeralds I already have. They are too good, too pretty, I got them for too cheap to let them go.

I will get the one in stock.

If it really doesn't exceed my X20 nylon by as much as I think it will, I can return it and only be out the shipping. Worth it to KNOW.

If I love it so much I never play the X20 Nylon, I think I can still sell the X20 without losing any money.

And then I can either start the countdown for my purchase of a fully customized version in 5 years, or I can fall so in love with it that I don't even want to replace it.
Wise decision in my book!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber