The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-18-2011, 12:36 PM

Another thing to consider too is some local businesses (like the one in my neighborhood) offers free lifetime assistance with set-ups, cleanings and even string changes for guitars they sold. I prefer to change my own strings and clean my guitars so the free set up is not typically a deal breaker for me.

Now if the selling price difference is still quite a lot (which could mean various figures depending on circumstances) then the free service may not mean a whole lot.
Old 04-18-2011, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hambone View Post
I generally will spend up to 10% more to buy locally.
Does that include sales tax? I think you're generous with 10% honestly...why can't local dealers match what internet dealers sell for?

My local guitar store has been kinda lame-o lately. IMO it's not about keeping the local guy in business...it's about the local guy giving me a reason to help keep him in business
Ibanez AS73 w/ Lollar P90s
Old 04-18-2011, 01:18 PM

Good local businesses can and will be competitive ... they may not be able to match every internet price, but they should be able to come close enough to compete ... then you have to weigh whatever other services or value the local shop gives you with your purchase and determine if it is worth the difference to you ... developing trust and relationship with the folks at the local shops is valuable if you can do it ... if you can, be a friend and not just a customer and see what happens ... most folks who love musical instruments aren't jerks, though there are a few out there ...

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 04-18-2011, 01:42 PM

I had a similar thing happen last year when I bought my D-18 but ended up buying local and paying slightly more then I would have online however I feel better about going in there and playing other models now since I've payed my dues as it were...

I've asked about another guitar that I am looking at that was significantly cheaper online and they wouldn't match it because it was below their cost but at least I asked and got a straight answer from them. I never bought the other guitar online but if they had matched I would have bought from them then and there without thinking twice about it.

It never hurts to see if the local place will match or come close. Glad it worked out for you.

Congrats on the new GS. Pics please

-Jim
2009 Martin D-18
2011 Voyage-Air VAOM-02
2014 Martin CEO-7
2015 Gibson J-45

Last edited by JimB1; 04-18-2011 at 01:48 PM.
Old 04-18-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cknowles View Post
What is MAP?

Minimum Advertised Price.
Old 04-18-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishstick_kitty View Post
Does that include sales tax? I think you're generous with 10% honestly...why can't local dealers match what internet dealers sell for?
I would say that it depends on what they bought it for. Not all stores get the same price for everything. In fact it can vary greatly. GC pays a lot less for stuff than I do and can sell unprotected stuff cheaper than I can even buy it sometimes.

Authorized Dealer of:
Breedlove - Jackson - Fender - Martin - Schecter Guitar Research - Crossrock Cases
Old 04-18-2011, 02:14 PM

Default a

The MAP thing confuses me. My local dealer's prices are better than Internet pricing to begin with. I must be lucky. It's about an hour drive but well worth it. Buying online just scares me a little.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion