The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion

Old 04-13-2011, 06:54 AM

I generally defer to my local vendors as long as they provide good service and fair pricing. I like the idea that I am supporting people who are both my neighbors and fellow citizens, paying taxes to the community and employing others.

Torturer of quality instruments by Benedetto, Fender, Gibson, Guild, Martin, PRS and Taylor
Old 04-13-2011, 07:23 AM

I have no loyalty to the local chain stores (SA & GC etc) but the true locally owned shops I like to support for obvious reasons ... I want them to stick around ... they provide great value, service and understanding to those of us who have a passion for acoustic instruments ... when it comes to making a major purchase, I will do my homework, go and see what the local shops have in stock and if I find something, I will see if we can come to terms ... most of the time they cannot match the internet dealers but they will give me their bottom line offer ... then the final decision is up to me ...

However, if I went into any shop and found a guitar that really spoke to me unless it was just way out of line in price, I'd not let it get away ... this doesn't happen as often as we'd like and when it does, better not to hesitate ..

For some very simple demos of original music: https://soundcloud.com/rick-langdon

-- Play on!!
Old 04-13-2011, 09:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post
I have no loyalty to the local chain stores (SA & GC etc) but the true locally owned shops I like to support for obvious reasons ... I want them to stick around ... they provide great value, service and understanding to those of us who have a passion for acoustic instruments ... when it comes to making a major purchase, I will do my homework, go and see what the local shops have in stock and if I find something, I will see if we can come to terms ... most of the time they cannot match the internet dealers but they will give me their bottom line offer ... then the final decision is up to me ...

However, if I went into any shop and found a guitar that really spoke to me unless it was just way out of line in price, I'd not let it get away ... this doesn't happen as often as we'd like and when it does, better not to hesitate ..
I guess a part of me understands this sentiment. The Big Chains are often viewed as the Evil Empire in some regards, yet the people who often make those claims spend a lot of time in those stores using them as a source of hands-on research. We get criticized for having some shop-worn guitars, then criticized more if we try to limit that by putting the good stuff farther out of reach. The competition blasts us for having pricing that is too low, yet more often than not I read about "find the guitar you want at GC then call so-and-so to get the best price". That local GC or Ash store is staffed with people who are local. Most of them genuinely want their customers to be satisfied. They all depend on the sales that they make to feed themselves and their families. And unless you're fortunate enough to live in an area that also has a hi-end boutique shop you'll find the selection to be far better and the pricing to be far lower than your average mom-n-pop shop.

It's also true that in some of these Big Box locations you won't find a salesperson who has as much knowledge about the acoustics as you'd like. Some that seem to be staffed only with pimply-faced kids with tattoos and face-tackle. I've found the same to be true in the vast majority of locally-owned shops.

So, the next time you spend a few hours in your local chain store working with an associate, asking questions and trying guitars (In other words, getting great service) give some thought to that associate rather than the company they work for before you call some shop four states away and give them your business. It sure is easy to answer a phone, take your credit card and quote a cheap price. After all, somebody else already did all the work. At least go back to that store after you've been quoted your price and give them the chance to match it.

I worked in Mom-n-Pop for over ten years. I've been with GC for longer than that. There are pros and cons to both, but in the end it comes down to people. Most of us in Music Retail are in the business because we love music and we love helping people make music.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:41 AM

Last year I wanted to buy a 314ce but found that every one I played had a problem with a sympathetic string ring. When the opened B string was picked, the low E string picked up the frequency and rang out loudly. I finally gave up my search and purchased a 414ce. Then this past February I saw a 314ce with a little bear claw on the top and decided to give it a try. Imagine my surprise to find out it didn't have the ringing string problem!

Even identical models will differ slightly in tone, and I loved the sound of this 314ce (it followed me home, too, and the store was willing to work with me on the price). If you find a guitar locally that sounds and plays beautifully, you may not get one that is exactly as ideal from anywhere else. If this one spoke to you over all the others you played, you should seriously consider getting it ASAP before it's gone.
Old 04-13-2011, 09:45 AM

I was in the same situation when I bought my 814. I went to my local dealer and told him the price I was able to get it off of the internet, but that I would prefer to buy it from him. He was very appreciative of that, and came within $100 of the internet price, which was good enough for me. I also bought a T3/B from him, and he again was able to come close enough to the internet price.

- '21 Goodall GC redwood/Macassar ebony
- '17 Taylor K14-BE
- '21 Taylor GT Urban Ash
- '18 Taylor 114ce
- '15 Martin uke
Old 04-13-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scriptor View Post

I agree here. I want to support any local business as much as possible, but bottom line is that I am responsible to my family and our financial stability, not someone else. I live debt free therefore I can not and I will not jeopardize my financial stability. I realize this sounds selfish but it's the reality.

I can travel the 100 miles to the next town and have a GC as well as an independent store that is wonderful. GC has more selection in some areas but the independent guy there has tons more knowledge and can get pretty much anything GC has. And in this particular shop he competes price wise very well with GC. I shop him 80% of the time.

The local shop in my town is extremely limited and caters primarily to the lower end gear. That's probably what his clientele goes for, but not me. Sorry, I don't play that game. If the local store want my money then they need to earn it, not just with local service, but with price, quality and selection. Because the bottom line in this economy is the price to value ratio. I don't have a ton of money and I'm not prepared to pay more just for the privilege of shopping local. That goes for everything from musical gear to cars to computers to anything. If I can travel 100 miles round trip and still save even with the cost of gas and time, then that's what I'm going to do.

It's not personal, it's strictly business.

Nelson

2002 514ce
2003 414ce Ltd
2014 150e
2010 Fender Strat
2017 Les Paul Custom

Old 04-13-2011, 10:29 AM
Charter Member

This is a really interesting thread.. My only issue with buying locally is the awful sales tax (almost 10%) that I am penalized for supporting my local shops, when out of state Internet deals can be tax free. This certainly is a consideration when buying some expesive stuff...
I totally prefer working with a local shop and playing the actual guitar I'm interested in though..
Old 04-13-2011, 10:46 AM

I agree with the general consensus - give the local shop a chance to bring the price down a bit. I prefer to buy local whenever possible, both to support local businesses and to try before I buy. On the other hand, there's a limit to the premium I'm willing to pay for those things. The local shop I deal with most of the time actually prices their guitars a tad below what the major Internet retailers sell for, to take some of the sting out of the sales tax. If I were you, I would go back to the shop and just be straightforward about it. I'd tell them exactly what price you found and where you found it, and tell them you'd like to buy from them but can't justify that much difference in price. They'll either deal or they won't, but either way you can make your purchase with a clear conscience.

Mark
Old 04-13-2011, 10:54 AM

Quote:
I really would feel guilty buying online, especially after the attention I was given.
You are feeling guilty already, so you know it would be better to buy from the local guy. I think what you have to do, as mentioned so many times already, is to at least ask - nicely - if he could do better. Then the ball is in his court...sure he knows what MAP is and what you COULD get it for elsewhere, and what he needs to get for it and why.

Think how much having a local guy you can return to over and over again is worth....service, trade-ins, strings, set-ups, deals the next time, a place to go try 'em out, etc. etc. Yes you'll feel guilty (and worse if you need to go in there again), but he needs to be a bit realistic too if he wants business.

Ideally you will find a local shop that has great service AND great prices, but if not, when you add in getting to try and bring home the actual guitar you are paying for, and not worrying about UPS, shipping or returns...you better be getting a BIG % off on-line.
Old 04-13-2011, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJinDallas View Post
I guess a part of me understands this sentiment. The Big Chains are often viewed as the Evil Empire in some regards, yet the people who often make those claims spend a lot of time in those stores using them as a source of hands-on research. We get criticized for having some shop-worn guitars, then criticized more if we try to limit that by putting the good stuff farther out of reach. The competition blasts us for having pricing that is too low, yet more often than not I read about "find the guitar you want at GC then call so-and-so to get the best price". That local GC or Ash store is staffed with people who are local. Most of them genuinely want their customers to be satisfied. They all depend on the sales that they make to feed themselves and their families. And unless you're fortunate enough to live in an area that also has a hi-end boutique shop you'll find the selection to be far better and the pricing to be far lower than your average mom-n-pop shop.

It's also true that in some of these Big Box locations you won't find a salesperson who has as much knowledge about the acoustics as you'd like. Some that seem to be staffed only with pimply-faced kids with tattoos and face-tackle. I've found the same to be true in the vast majority of locally-owned shops.

So, the next time you spend a few hours in your local chain store working with an associate, asking questions and trying guitars (In other words, getting great service) give some thought to that associate rather than the company they work for before you call some shop four states away and give them your business. It sure is easy to answer a phone, take your credit card and quote a cheap price. After all, somebody else already did all the work. At least go back to that store after you've been quoted your price and give them the chance to match it.

I worked in Mom-n-Pop for over ten years. I've been with GC for longer than that. There are pros and cons to both, but in the end it comes down to people. Most of us in Music Retail are in the business because we love music and we love helping people make music.
Wow, what a great post that even included the GC "mission statement" at the end. I worked for them too, and these days I wouldn't buy a guitar there if it was the only place in town. I'm glad you have a great attitude toward your customers, but you're the exception. Even your illustrious leader doesn't share those feelings these days.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 04-13-2011, 11:13 AM

To answer the OP:
I would definitely support the local independent shop if you want it to stick around for your everyday needs. I bought one of my Taylors from Jim, but the other was from my local indie shop. They did exactly what people are saying and gave me a price match. I didn't haggle them over taxes. They still made money, had my business, and kept it local. No problem.
Taylor GA8 Sitka/EIR
Reverend '21 Charger 290
Gibson '03 Les Paul Studio Swamp Ash
Fender '94 American Std Strat
Squier Classic Vibe Baritone Telecaster

Many are gone but not forgotten...some are just forgotten
Old 04-13-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davwir View Post
This is a really interesting thread.. My only issue with buying locally is the awful sales tax (almost 10%) that I am penalized for supporting my local shops, when out of state Internet deals can be tax free. This certainly is a consideration when buying some expesive stuff...
I totally prefer working with a local shop and playing the actual guitar I'm interested in though..
You mean that terrible sales tax that does awful things like pay for Police and Firefighters, educates your children, etc? That tax?

Fear not, that loophole is probably going to close very soon.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:07 PM

IMO, if you can deal locally it helps support your local businesses and your music community in general. If price is way out of line, then mention to local store you would like to be closer in range - in my experience, most times they will try to be competitive - maybe not cheapest, but again the local store is providing guidance, selection, etc. Unfortunately, IMO, we've all been Walmarted to death for the last 30+ years: "Always the Lowest" as if Price is everything when it is is only one component of a purchase- and advertsing based on only price is just that, only price. No matter who reads this post, remember, whatever value you provide in your work for someone or your own business, there is always someone out there who will do ithe same work for less...does that mean you're no longer worth what you're paid?

2010 Simon Fay German Spruce/ EIR OM
2010 Taylor NS24ce Nylon
2006 Cordoba 55R Nylon
2008 Takamine Nylon Crossover TC135SC
1978 Takamine Nylon C128
2006 Miranda Nylon (My Motorcycle Guitar)
1973 Guild G37 Sitka/Maple
Old 04-13-2011, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PastorSteve View Post
No dilemma. Buy the guitar. It suits you perfectly. You were served by a local owner who - was there when you needed them, had guitars for you to play, listened to you play and advised you towards a specific guitar, and he/she was right. Priceless.
My thoughts exactly. A lower price is always welcome, but at the local store you also pay for service, and from what the OP said, the service was excellent.
Old 04-13-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by givempills View Post
I'm not so happy with my local dealer. Why, you ask? Because theyre jerks!
Yup, there's a couple of local stores close to my work I will NEVER go in again if at all possible. I'm all about supporting local stores, but geez, I don't see how they've been in business as long as they have been.

However, there are another couple of stores close by the house that I frequent when I need something.

Try to talk the person down. I'd say if the final price were a couple of "Benji's" within the online price, buy local if you can. But, most importantly, make decisions that let you sleep best at night.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > General Acoustic Guitar Discussion