The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber

Old 11-01-2017, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ted @ LA Guitar Sales View Post
The "S" stands for the 12-fret short scale neck. Currently there are two neck options from Rainsong, the N2, which is 14-fret with standard, 25.4" scale, and the NS neck which is 12-Fret with short, 24.9" scale. All current models have a fully adjustable truss rod.

The "Shorty" name came about by adding the shorter NS neck to the OM, making it shorter. Once the NS neck was introduced on the Shorty and the P12 parlor, I naturally asked Ashvin to build us a handful of "shorty" models using the larger WS, grand auditorium body. This custom, which was called the LA-LE2 was a great success, selling out all 15 guitars in a few months, so naturally I asked Ashvin if I could order other models with the NS neck, and he obliged. So today you can get any model with the NS neck. In fact, one of my favorite CF guitars is my BI-DR1100NS, which is a Black Ice (BI) Dreadnought (DR) without electronics (1100) and short scale 12-fret (NS) neck.
Thanks Ted, that really filled in some holes in my misunderstandings, particularly about the N2 necks all being 14 frets.
Old 11-01-2017, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHart View Post
BI-DR1100NS ~ Ooooh... that sounds nice, and I'm not even much of a dreadnaught guy anymore. Based on the awesome sound of my CH-OM1100NS, I'll bet it sounds phenomenal.
It does sound fantastic, and it's a joy to play. I was actually thinking of ordering it with the unidirectional (CO) top, but I didn't have a Black Ice in my stable. Love the look with the abalone inlays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
Thanks Ted, that really filled in some holes in my misunderstandings, particularly about the N2 necks all being 14 frets.
My pleasure. The nomenclature is actually quite straight forward once you understand it.
Old 11-01-2017, 03:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acousticado View Post
Hmmm, if an X10 were to become a standard model offering, I wonder what the good Captain will do? He will be so conflicted. I’m not sure he could resist having an X model trifecta!
OK, two things come to mind here...

1. Good? Probably not my playing, and I know the Blonde would say it is not my behavior.

2. Unlike my friend DHart, I have made no public declarations of "having the guitars that will insure that I will never, ever, ever, consider wanting, needing, or buying another guitar." (I think I am accurate in that quote.) An X10? With offset soundhole, a body size between the X7 and X20, a scale no longer than 24.875", and the ergonomics that make the Emerald guitars such a delight to hold and play? Oh, yeah, I'd be tempted. Mightily.
Old 11-01-2017, 05:00 PM

I've been through all the Rainsongs on Reverb and didn't see any Dreads or Jumbos with a NS neck. I couldn't find any youtube or vimeo videos on the 12 fret dreads. I love the sound of the 14 fret dreads on yt.

There's lots of OM and WS 12 fretters on Reverb in the $1300 range. Would a special order dread NS add a $1000 to the price?
Old 11-01-2017, 06:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Jim View Post
OK, two things come to mind here...

1. Good? Probably not my playing, and I know the Blonde would say it is not my behavior.

2. Unlike my friend DHart, I have made no public declarations of "having the guitars that will insure that I will never, ever, ever, consider wanting, needing, or buying another guitar." (I think I am accurate in that quote.) An X10? With offset soundhole, a body size between the X7 and X20, a scale no longer than 24.875", and the ergonomics that make the Emerald guitars such a delight to hold and play? Oh, yeah, I'd be tempted. Mightily.
Captain Jim... you're guesstimated quote of my statements is not accurate at all. Let me set the record straight:

Quote:
Indeed... I'm actually quite content with 18. . More than content.

Of course, that doesn't mean that there aren't other guitars out there that I would enjoy having... I can easily think of a dozen other various models that I would enjoy having! . There is probably no end to that.

But at some point, one becomes quite sated with gear and focuses more on the music, than on acquiring more gear - hopefully, anyway.
Quote:
It isn't out of the realm of possibility for me to acquire an X20. But the GAS hasn't taken me down yet!
Quote:
Indeed. The size REALLY is an issue for me. I just don't like how big it is.

An X10, on the other hand, has a VERY good chance of entering my harem of guitars! I think the X10 is probably an ideal size (for me) in an Emerald guitar. I like the X7 as well, for times when I want something smaller than my favorite size, which is found in the CH-OM1100NS, and also happens to sound absolutely glorious to me.

Between the CH-OM1100NS and the X7 Artisan, my CF needs really are fully and very well met.
TO sum this up... I'm very content with what I have and my needs are well met. While I don't need another guitar, I'm most definitely not ruling out adding another guitar at some point.

Last edited by DHart; 11-01-2017 at 06:34 PM.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:40 PM

I love these metaphysical sides of guitar acquistion. Reminds me that I’m not all that crazy.
Old 11-01-2017, 06:46 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
TO sum this up... I'm very content with what I have and my needs are well met. While I don't need another guitar, I'm most definitely not ruling out adding another guitar at some point.
Yeah, almost word for word what I said.

Oh, and did you see the latest veneers Alistair opened today?? Some pretty new woody options!
Old 11-01-2017, 06:51 PM

Quote:

Oh, and did you see the latest veneers Alistair opened today?? Some pretty new woody options!
No I didn't... I'll have to go have a look. Unless there's an X10 in there, though, no interest from me.
Old 11-02-2017, 09:42 AM
Guest 928

Captain;

I looked at the Emerald site and did not see any mention of new veneers.
Old 11-02-2017, 10:05 AM

It's on their Facebook page
Old 11-02-2017, 12:23 PM

Quote:

Nice veneers! I could envision an X10 with some of those coming to my place. Sheesh.
Old 11-02-2017, 04:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Nice veneers! I could envision an X10 with some of those coming to my place. Sheesh.
Umm... me, too.
Old 11-02-2017, 05:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwellsy View Post
I've been through all the Rainsongs on Reverb and didn't see any Dreads or Jumbos with a NS neck. I couldn't find any youtube or vimeo videos on the 12 fret dreads. I love the sound of the 14 fret dreads on yt.

There's lots of OM and WS 12 fretters on Reverb in the $1300 range. Would a special order dread NS add a $1000 to the price?
As noted already, dealers can order any model with the 12-fret neck, but most dealers tend to stay with the most common options. It's also why you don't see many Taylors without electronics at dealers. And BTW, it's a no cost option.

Regarding the models prices at $1300 or so, that would be the new CH series, which are only available in Parlor, OM, or WS currently, and only with the 12-fret, NS neck option.
Old 11-04-2017, 06:17 AM

Happy NGD. Some day in far future when archeologists with excitement wipe the dust from a petrified left hand fretting a G-7 in the third position this thing will still be in tune and have a plane soundboard.

Nice photowork +1
Old 11-04-2017, 09:32 AM

Greetings tpa, 3 years and your first post? You are a patient person!

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Carbon Fiber