The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-07-2023, 07:53 AM

Default Is rock and roll dead?

Not if I can help it...
Old 02-07-2023, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerhardp View Post
Yesterday my 19 year old son comes out of his room asking me if I knew the song "Mississippi Queen". Something like this happens quite often. Apparently that kind of music seems popular on TikTok or other "social sites" which I do not understand.
My daughter(21) and some friends rehearse Cranberries/Kravitz/ACDC stuff, unfortunately in our living room, but well...

To me Rock'n Roll seemed dead, since I don't watch TV or listen to radio, but my kids show me I'm wrong.
You’ve inadvertently hit on some truths here.
1. The rock music you refer to exemplifies the quality of what once was and is still impressive.
2. The youth market of today would like more rock if they were exposed to it.
3. The Industry “force feeds” what it wants to promote for a variety of reasons and it ain’t gonna’ be rock. Ask yourself who are the influencers and what are their motives.

Martin D18
Gibson J45
Gibson J15
Fender Copperburst Telecaster
Squier CV 50 Stratocaster
Squier CV 50 Telecaster
Old 02-07-2023, 08:53 AM

Radio and awards shows will always feature what the youngsters are spending their money on. Many of us here already have a good collection of what we listen to. Even new material by our favorites doesn't usually motivate us to spend money on it like it did in our youth. My 6 year old grandson took up drums and his favorite music is Foo Fighters and Metallica.
Old 02-07-2023, 09:28 AM

Rock isn't dead by any means, but it needs a Renaissance...it needs something new and exciting to bubble to the surface from the underground. The last big thing was the Seattle scene/grunge/alternative of the 90's. Now, when you're my age you still think the 90's were just 10 years ago...but...

And as with all things, it got exploited and watered down and we got lame copycat bands through the 2000's...

The album is surely dead in popular music, which is where rock lived and thrived.

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-07-2023, 09:33 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr. beaumont View Post
The album is surely dead in popular music, which is where rock lived and thrived.
Interestingly, there has just been an increase in album sales.

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-07-2023, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Womack View Post
Interestingly, there has just been an increase in album sales.

Bob

I wonder if this iteration of the Vinyl Revival is helping this?

I see it as a good thing for music. When the expectation for an artist becomes 45 minutes of entertainment and not 2 and a half, it raises everybody's game.

I was actually of the opinion that the CD hurt the "album" concept for a while in the 90's-00's, as it seemed there was pressure to fill the available space. Most people don't have 80 minutes to listen to an album...

http://www.youtube.com/user/jeffreymatz
Old 02-07-2023, 10:05 AM

Quote:
...The last big thing was the Seattle scene/grunge/alternative of the 90's...
Don't forget Britpop!
Old 02-07-2023, 10:07 AM

My 18 year-old daughter is getting into vinyl, and has a bunch of old rock records she's starting to listen to. Kinda cool. She's always had good taste in music, new and old. Main "new" rock band she's listening to is Paramore – pretty good band IMO.
Old 02-07-2023, 10:12 AM
Charter Member

It is my observation that Rock 'n' Roll has become indefinable. Sure, one can apply any number of descriptive terms to it, but in an industry driven more by profits than all other criteria combined, any notion of classifying the music itself has mutated beyond recognition.

Reminds me of Potter Stewart, Associate Supreme Court Justice (between 1958-1981), who was once asked to define "obscenity." Unable/unwilling to do so, he simply stated, “I know it when I see it.”

Similarly (and I acknowledge that I'm biased by my own personal tastes), I remain dissatisfied/uncomfortable with the reality that Madonna and Tupac are RRHOF inductees, while Blue Öyster Cult is not.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-07-2023 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-07-2023, 11:15 AM

Well, Wet Leg picked up a couple of awards, they rock a bit - & nice to see Ma Rainey get a Lifetime Achievement award, better late than never!
Old 02-07-2023, 11:54 AM
Guitar Gourmet

Quote:
I wonder if this iteration of the Vinyl Revival is helping this?
I see it as a good thing for music. When the expectation for an artist becomes 45 minutes of entertainment and not 2 and a half, it raises everybody's game.
I was actually of the opinion that the CD hurt the "album" concept for a while in the 90's-00's, as it seemed there was pressure to fill the available space. Most people don't have 80 minutes to listen to an album...
The study I read showed an uptick in both album and CD sales. Funny, huh?

Bob

THE MUSICIAN'S ROOM (my website)
Old 02-07-2023, 01:20 PM

Let us close our eyes outside their lives are faster lets go living in the past. "Living in the past" Jethro Tull.
Old 02-07-2023, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rokdog49 View Post
You’ve inadvertently hit on some truths here.
1. The rock music you refer to exemplifies the quality of what once was and is still impressive.
2. The youth market of today would like more rock if they were exposed to it.
3. The Industry “force feeds” what it wants to promote for a variety of reasons and it ain’t gonna’ be rock. Ask yourself who are the influencers and what are their motives.

This right here is the core of my point. The great music that’s already cemented will be timeless. When I say rock is dead, I mean new bands in the pop culture spotlight like back in the 70’s-90’s. The days when your local radio pop station would have Crazy Train in their regular rotation along with Billie Jean are over. The “alternative” rock stations only play imagine dragons and Coldplay all day, that’s the new rock, which is anything but.

There was a bit of a renaissance in the early 00’s with the NuMetal and emo movements. Bands like Korn slipped into the mainstream even though their music was quite aggressive. On the emo side, Evanescence made quite the splash with their heavy but accessible sound that featured the angelic voice of Amy Lee. Late 00’s to early 10’s, Avenged Sevenfold became the closest thing to a new era Metallica. But there hasn’t been much since then.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mandobart View Post

...There are still probably at least a million classical music fans around the world...
Maybe I should ask this in a new thread, but anyone here know the approximate worldwide classical music audience size? Don't know whether that should be measured by the paying population, the listening population, or the claim-to-like-it population, but seems in any city in USA, 90-point-something on FM will find classical music. Or maybe there's more sponsorship than actual ears?

Edit: I'm seeing plenty "market share" stats online, but not populations. Maybe that can't be weeded out from sales.

Last edited by FrankHS; 02-07-2023 at 03:30 PM.
Old 02-07-2023, 03:38 PM

Yes, I believe that it is "dead." Of course, it will always be around. But, as a relevant force for influencing culture, it is about as dead as Polka. It had a good run, a very long run. So, how much more can really be done, or should be done? Can you really elevate that genre of guitar playing, for example, beyond the Steve Vai level? It would be very difficult, if not impossible, to break into that Grammy's crowd and get their interest as a "rock" artist. They have a whole new image of "rebellion." Watching Sam Smith's performance on the Grammy's this year, I just wonder how much farther you can push these boundaries. It seems that even Madonna was kind of warning us that what we are about to watch is going to be a little bit too much for us.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic