The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars

Old 02-04-2023, 05:08 PM

Default NAD Positive Grid Spark Mini

Half the size of a Yamaha THR5, better sounding, just as loud when needed, highly configurable, USB C rechargeable, as good a Bluetooth speaker as any in its size class... I think I'm done with my Mustang Micro into a Klipsch Groove for low volume jams and traveling. The Spark Mini fits nicely in my soft brief case and backpack. The Mustang plus Groove could be jammed into a gig bag pocket where the Spark Mini is not likely to fit.

The overall build quality is excellent. It feels well made. Vinyl on MDF (???) is a better option for dragging around than the THR’s or Groove’s sheet metal and hard plastic. The POTs feel viscous and sturdy (maybe nutted down).

I caused myself some unnecessary trouble not following the simple directions when I first opened the box. You need a Positive Grid account to access the vast library of models and patches. Only a subset is available between the amp and the phone app without the cloud. I tried to figure out the app not logged-in and things just don't seem to work because there is often a choice of one. The 3.5mm input disables Bluetooth and USB audio. You ultimately mate it via Bluetooth to your phone twice: first for the app to control the amp, and second as a Bluetooth speaker. I was using it to listen to music via the 3.5mm input as I was installing the app. Figuring out the Bluetooth and USB audio options was harder than it needed to be as a result.

I don't have an acoustic with a pickup handy at this time, but I think it ought to sound good as an acoustic amp with the right patch loaded. It is certainly loud enough to add value in that application.

It has a bass port on the bottom, and I’ve only tried it on a hard table top and a hard wood floor. It might not sound as good on a rug or couch.

My Nux Amp Academy into a QSC CP-8 sounds better. I’ve got to try the Spark Mini into the CP-8 to see how it stacks up directly to the Nux.

IR Demo, read the description too: https://youtu.be/SELEE4yugjE
My duo's website and my email... [email protected]

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-04-2023 at 08:54 PM.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:50 PM

I have the Spark 40, I love the thing.

I've never used the Yamaha but I respect the name, always good quality stuff

but these spark amps are just a hoot.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Taylor 814CE Deluxe V-Class
Guild F1512
Alvarez DY74 Snowflake ('78)
Old 02-05-2023, 08:23 AM

I also have the 40, and it has an amazing amount of flexibility. Since it’s basically a phone app masquerading as an amp, I use the app to load two to four distinct settings and use the foot switch as a channel toggle.
Old 02-05-2023, 02:43 PM

I agree with both rmp and bsman. Same experience.
Old 02-05-2023, 08:54 PM

I own a Spark MINI and it serves my purpose very well. It sits on my coffee table (along with a computer, cables, capos, tuners, and other junk). I use it with both my XVive wireless system and with a cable. It's quick and easy, and for a rousing round of practice, I don't have to fuss. I even took advantage of Positive Grid's offer and bought a new grill for it.

Old 02-05-2023, 09:36 PM

I’m on my second Spark 40. The first one I sold it to a good friend for his kid that was picking up guitar. That was a year ago and that kid has surpassed my playing already. A few months ago I bought it again. Never bought the same gear twice. It’s just so versatile, and sounds quite good, and I use it as a Bluetooth speaker when I entertain at home.
Old 02-06-2023, 06:05 AM

it's crazy what we can get out of these amps.

The sound that comes out of this wee little box (mine is the 40) is surprisingly huge.

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 02-06-2023, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonfields45 View Post
Half the size of a Yamaha THR5, better sounding, just as loud when needed, highly configurable, USB C rechargeable, as good a Bluetooth speaker as any in its size class... I think I'm done with my Mustang Micro into a Klipsch Groove for low volume jams and traveling. The Spark Mini fits nicely in my soft brief case and backpack. The Mustang plus Groove could be jammed into a gig bag pocket where the Spark Mini is not likely to fit.

The overall build quality is excellent. It feels well made. Vinyl on MDF (???) is a better option for dragging around than the THR’s or Groove’s sheet metal and hard plastic. The POTs feel viscous and sturdy (maybe nutted down).

I caused myself some unnecessary trouble not following the simple directions when I first opened the box. You need a Positive Grid account to access the vast library of models and patches. Only a subset is available between the amp and the phone app without the cloud. I tried to figure out the app not logged-in and things just don't seem to work because there is often a choice of one. The 3.5mm input disables Bluetooth and USB audio. You ultimately mate it via Bluetooth to your phone twice: first for the app to control the amp, and second as a Bluetooth speaker. I was using it to listen to music via the 3.5mm input as I was installing the app. Figuring out the Bluetooth and USB audio options was harder than it needed to be as a result.

I don't have an acoustic with a pickup handy at this time, but I think it ought to sound good as an acoustic amp with the right patch loaded. It is certainly loud enough to add value in that application.

It has a bass port on the bottom, and I’ve only tried it on a hard table top and a hard wood floor. It might not sound as good on a rug or couch.

My Nux Amp Academy into a QSC CP-8 sounds better. I’ve got to try the Spark Mini into the CP-8 to see how it stacks up directly to the Nux.

Nux into a CP8 Makes me wonder what your gigging setup up is these days..
I ask because I'm on a never ending quest for versatility into a minimum setup.. That includes a Electric guitar, a Acoustic guitar and vocals

Last edited by CASD57; 02-06-2023 at 08:07 AM.
Old 02-06-2023, 08:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASD57 View Post
Nux into a CP8 Makes me wonder what your gigging setup up is these days..
I ask because I'm on a never ending quest for versatility into a minimum setup.. That includes a Electric guitar, a Acoustic guitar and vocals
For the last few months Nux Amp Academy direct to tip or ring of the 3.5mm input of my CP8. At the moment I am not using an acoustic guitar at all, but I'm in the process of figuring out if there is an Amp Academy amp model that is relatively flat frequency response, or if there is a hidden way to bypass the amp but keep the rest of patch ("scene" in Nux AA terminology) for EQ and reverb.

Jon Fields
Old 02-06-2023, 08:18 AM

Quote:
For the last few months Nux Amp Academy direct to tip or ring of the 3.5mm input of my CP8. At the moment I am not using an acoustic guitar at all, but I'm in the process of figuring out if there is an Amp Academy amp model that is relatively flat frequency response, or if there is a hidden way to bypass the amp but keep the rest of patch ("scene" in Nux AA terminology) for EQ and reverb.
Keep us posted...
I've thought about a Acoustic pickup on my ES339(so only one guitar) but I think a pedal would be easier (I'm mainly a Clean to just a little under breakup tone guy)

I ran into this...its not a IR pedal but its 2-channel
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/det...coustic-preamp
Old 02-06-2023, 11:46 AM

I have both Spark amps, and I think they’re great. Very cool technology, good sound quality, and they do all kinds of stuff if you want. The key phrase here is “if you want” - I know a lot of people don’t want to get involved with learning curves and technology that they haven’t used before. You don’t have to use any of the advanced features of these amps - they sound great as is. But I highly recommend using the app - it’s easy and that’s where the real fun is.
Old 02-07-2023, 07:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostnote View Post
I have both Spark amps, and I think they’re great. Very cool technology, good sound quality, and they do all kinds of stuff if you want. The key phrase here is “if you want” - I know a lot of people don’t want to get involved with learning curves and technology that they haven’t used before. You don’t have to use any of the advanced features of these amps - they sound great as is. But I highly recommend using the app - it’s easy and that’s where the real fun is.
Tagging on to this comment, I'll add that in my opinion, Fender blew it with their FUSE software product for their modeling amps. Line6 blew it (again, IMO) by discontinuing their AMPLIFi line (I have the 30 - a top-notch lunchbox-size modeling amp, which I'm still using, but eyeing the Spark 40 because Line6 discontinued it).

I know I'm perfectly capable of spending a lot of time twisting knobs and tweaking settings, but I tend to stay away from doing so just because of the possibility. But knowing that I can adds a lot of value to the amp's offering, if you ask me.
Old 02-07-2023, 08:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fpuhan View Post
Fender blew it with their FUSE software product for their modeling amps.
That was pretty bad.

Upset a lot of V1/V2 mustang owners, just kind of dropped it like a hot rock too.

I know that made me kind of take a mulligan on going for any of the GT Series combos, and eventually I just left all that modeling combos behind.

that is until the tone masters arrived, then I got sucked in again

but not really the "Same" kind of beast with those...

Gibson SJ200
Taylor Grand Symphony
Taylor 514CE-NY
Guild F1512
Old 02-17-2023, 10:15 AM

Default Minor Problem With Spark Mini

Now that I've had it a couple of weeks I have found a defect and verified with Positive Grid that it is just how it works (to fit the modeling in the limited processing practical in a small battery powered product). Here is a 10 second audio of the open A string decaying, Lux Verb (Deluxe Reverb?) model, all effects turned off:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YvL...usp=share_link

It seems to be a little worse for this amp model than others I've tried on the Spark Mini. It might be quantization noise gating off as a fixed point model trades off headroom for resolution as the volume goes down. I find it a bit annoying once I noticed it. I did point out to them they could do better as I hear a similar problem in my Mustang Micro but it is difficult to pick out and easy to forget about.

Ultimately not a deal breaker, but also not a product well suited to use as a recording interface. In this case the win goes to my THR5.

If you can hear this and have a Spark 40, could you check the Spark 40 to see if it does it too?

Jon Fields

Last edited by jonfields45; 02-17-2023 at 04:29 PM.
Old 03-13-2023, 05:21 AM

Quote:
Now that I've had it a couple of weeks I have found a defect and verified with Positive Grid that it is just how it works (to fit the modeling in the limited processing practical in a small battery powered product). Here is a 10 second audio of the open A string decaying, Lux Verb (Deluxe Reverb?) model, all effects turned off:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1YvL...usp=share_link

It seems to be a little worse for this amp model than others I've tried on the Spark Mini. It might be quantization noise gating off as a fixed point model trades off headroom for resolution as the volume goes down. I find it a bit annoying once I noticed it. I did point out to them they could do better as I hear a similar problem in my Mustang Micro but it is difficult to pick out and easy to forget about.

Ultimately not a deal breaker, but also not a product well suited to use as a recording interface. In this case the win goes to my THR5.

If you can hear this and have a Spark 40, could you check the Spark 40 to see if it does it too?
I am able to minimize that noise by setting the amp model master volume to max and turning down the final volume using the physical knob.

Jon Fields

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > General Acoustic Guitar and Amplification Discussion > Electric Guitars