The Acoustic Guitar Forum

Go Back   The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic

Old 02-03-2023, 10:56 PM

Default how to prevent sore finger

My index finger gets sore ever so often. Is there something that I could cover it with till it stops being painful? It feels like nerve pain rather than skin soreness.
Anyway I have to stop playing for a few days while it stops hurting. Id like to not have to stop playing.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:08 PM
AGF Sponsor

There's a paint-on product called New Skin liquid bandage, widely available in the bandaid department of drugstores. And you could indeed consider it a band aid (if you're in a band, that is).

If it's nerve inflammation an oral anti inflammatory like ibuprofen might help.
Softride Rocket
Trek Y-Foil

Last edited by LFL Steve; 02-03-2023 at 11:18 PM.
Old 02-03-2023, 11:22 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
My index finger gets sore ever so often. Is there something that I could cover it with till it stops being painful? It feels like nerve pain rather than skin soreness.
Anyway I have to stop playing for a few days while it stops hurting. Id like to not have to stop playing.
From playing guitar or more that you notice it when playing the guitar. As far as a lotion treatment I find Eucering Advanced Repair Lotion works well.

"Reality is that which when you stop believing in it, doesn't go away."

Woods hands pick by eye and ear
Made to one with pride and love
To be that we hold so dear
A voice from heavens above
Old 02-04-2023, 02:29 AM

ordered so liquid bandage and try a pill
Old 02-04-2023, 02:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mercy View Post
ordered so liquid bandage and try a pill
If taking a pain killer like ibruprufen actually works then doing so and carrying on playing guitar would be a really bad idea. I'm guessing it would hurt a lot more once the pain killer wears off.
Maybe just give it a break and allow the tissues to recover, pain is a symptom of damage.
Old 02-04-2023, 08:15 AM

What doesn't kill you, makes you stronger...

http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCkomGsMJXH9qn-xLKCv4WOg
Old 02-04-2023, 09:13 AM

Where does it get sore? And what is it that makes you think it is nerve pain?

If it is nerve pain, I’d recommend physical therapy or massage or acupuncture (after getting input from your physician).

If it isn’t nerve pain, you might explore ways to use less pressure.

IMO, the only pain to “push through” is muscle soreness or bruising or something in that realm. Other pain is Best diagnosed by a professional and treated in ways that ideally address the causes.
Old 02-04-2023, 09:39 AM
Charter Member

When I first learned and over-practiced barre chords on a wide-neck nylon-stringed classical guitar, that made my index finger sore, like a sprain and tender skin.

I've suddenly picked up guitars for the first time (after weeks) before and bent a lot of notes over the course of a long evening jam. Made my fingertips sore (though more the middle and ring fingers given my style).

Many folks with medical conditions suffer from debilitating peripheral neuropathy, sometimes debilitating.

Various hand tools, manual labor projects and sports activities have caused some persistent finger pains when I played. Sprains, strains and micro-fractures can last weeks or longer, especially with repeated use/abuse and trying to "work through it."

Hard to narrow down what OP is asking about since the causes of finger pains can be so numerous and varied. Might be worth consulting a medical professional if it doesn't go away.

Last edited by tinnitus; 02-05-2023 at 04:25 PM.
Old 02-05-2023, 07:55 AM
Charter Member

Sometimes my feet ache, and I've started using Blue Stop Max Massage Gel https://www.samsclub.com/p/blue-stop...=plp_product_1. It really works great for me....
Martin D18 Ambertone
Martin 000-15sm

Last edited by RP; 02-05-2023 at 09:27 AM.
Old 02-05-2023, 12:56 PM

I'd see a doctor. Pain that lasts for days and keeps you from doing things is worth a look. There's probably nothing wrong with you that they have not seen before, and there is probably a well-understood path to improvement. The cure could be as simple as some physical therapy exercises.

They may give you an answer you don't like too, but that is also worth knowing. It could keep you from developing an injury that really hurts your playing.

I'd also think carefully about your playing technique. Maybe you can adjust your grip to reduce the irritation. Maybe lighter strings would help, if squeezing is what causes the pain.

For example, I have learned that I must keep my thumb pointed towards the headstock. If I clamp down with my hand in a more natural C-shape, my thumb will start to hurt, and if I kept doing it I am sure I'd injure myself. I only figured out the remedy by slowing down and really paying attention to what I was feeling, and trying small grip changes.

Good luck! Being forced to stop playing is an awful feeling.

The Acoustic Guitar Forum > Other Discussions > Open Mic